Ozzie Beer

ROB T

Just to balance things up a little I thought it might be good to begin a thread about Aussie beer. We have heard a lot about how good the wine is here in Australia and yes I love wine but thought it would be good to see what Aussie beer you guys out there like best. I must admit that I do miss a good ol British pint of bitter, Speckled Hen, Cornish beer, Shropshire beer & some dark winter ales to name but a few. However, as these are not available in W.A. I have taken to drinking Crown Lager instead which is one of my favourite tipples right now. What is your weapon of choice here in Perth?

Just to balance things up a little I thought it might be good to begin a thread about Aussie beer. We have heard a lot about how good the wine is here in Australia and yes I love wine but thought it would be good to see what Aussie beer you guys out there like best. I must admit that I do miss a good ol British pint of bitter, Speckled Hen, Cornish beer, Shropshire beer & some dark winter ales to name but a few. However, as these are not available in W.A. I have taken to drinking Crown Lager instead which is one of my favourite tipples right now. What is your weapon of choice here in Perth?

Hi Rob, you can get most ales here, a couple of pubs even have them on draft. As for Aussie beers, I get through a fair bit of Boags, I also like Hahn premium full strength, which isn't always easy to find

I'm a bit of a beer snob so I like the more unusual beers from small, mainly local producers and I've never liked lager. That said, I love the Creatures IPA, Rogers and their Pale. I'm loving the Sleeping Giant IPA too but my local bottle shop, the Freo Doctor does Growlers of different craft beers which are usually very nice. Creatures do tasting nights when they let you sample their latest experiments which is a great night out overlooking the fishing boat harbour.

However, as these are not available in W.A.

They are down the bottle shops I've seen.

Best I've been in is on is on Grt Eastern, down in Belmont - Mane Liquor.

Their website isn't up :(

http://www.maneliquor.com.au/

Last time we got the FatherInLaw a load of Bishops Finger, Fullers, Spitfire etc ..

Edited by Bibbs

They are down the bottle shops I've seen.

Sorry Bibbs I was meaning draught bitters not out of the bottle. Just doesn't taste the same IMO so that's why I now drink Ozzy lager (TED etc) which would seem sensible given the increasing heat, much more refreshing. Not sure Australia can do the bitter thing TBH.

Not sure Australia can do the bitter thing TBH.

Have you tried Nail Ale ? It's not London Pride but I think it's a pretty fair attempt. It's not in the Lion Nathan stable, so can be hard to locate.

The Riverside Lager at the Old Swan Brewery is one of the best lagers to be found in Perth IMO.

Got caught at the Duckstein a few Sundays ago. Queued up 17 minutes waiting to order drinks and when it came to our turn, was told that they don't serve pints and that the $12 beer displayed on their board was for 375ml only. Wanted to walk out but we had already invested 17 minutes and it was hot and I was thirsty. We had one drink and left and it will be a while before I go back. I hate getting striped and it's not as if there isn't a huge margin already in alcoholic drinks.

For those in the northern suburbs, the Ocean View was serving $7 pints last summer IIRC and they usually have a band on Sunday afternoons and there's somewhere for the kids to run around outside.

ROB T, you're in Mindarie so get yourself down to the "Indy" (Indian Ocean Brewing Company) at Mindarie marina. Loads of choice in their own brewed beers. Britannia Bitter is a nice session Ale and their "Big Red" is a quality IPA. Friday night happy hour 5.30 - 6.30 $7 pints or ask for a tasting tray.

As for Ozzie lagers - they're all much of a muchness, not much taste but go down well very cold when out in the sun. Unfortunately all the big names are brewed over East now so have lots of additives and preservatives in them to extend the shelf life etc.

ROB T, you're in Mindarie so get yourself down to the "Indy" (Indian Ocean Brewing Company) at Mindarie marina. Loads of choice in their own brewed beers. Britannia Bitter is a nice session Ale and their "Big Red" is a quality IPA. Friday night happy hour 5.30 - 6.30 $7 pints or ask for a tasting tray.

As for Ozzie lagers - they're all much of a muchness, not much taste but go down well very cold when out in the sun. Unfortunately all the big names are brewed over East now so have lots of additives and preservatives in them to extend the shelf life etc.

Cheers LF, have been to Indi a few times but didn't realise there was a happy Friday 530 to 630. I'm on my way.....

• 2 months later...