Which side of the freeway??

KGB

So.....I hope this doesn't start any wars.....but I have been told by 'a person' who lives in Perth that we should be looking at places to live only on the ocean side of the freeway. The same person told me that NOR or SOR is personal choice and that you need to look at the areas to decide what suits your lifestyle, work and commuting needs, but that regardless of NOR or SOR, stay west of the freeway.

Is there any truth to this persons reasoning?

Personally we would prefer to be closer to the beach, but obviously we are also aware the closer to the beach you are, the more you are likely to pay. So we would be willing to forgo the beach for awhile to ensure we have decent roof over our head whilst we settle in and have a few months of wages under out belts. That side we don't want a decent roof in a dodgy or crime ridden area!

Please discuss........:unsure:

Edited by KGB

Both my sisters live East of the freeway and when we move out in August next year, we will live East of the Freeway because that's where we can afford to live. It's almost impossible to live without a car in Perth so the extra 5 minutes from the beach doesn't make much difference and I've never felt the need to keep up with the Jones's so we'll live within our means.

We're planning on going East into the hills. Main reasons:

Not necessarily cheaper but seem to get more for your money. The houses are older but to us older = more character. Bigger blocks and therefore bigger gardens with space between you & the neighbours.

Commute isn't too bad. 15 mins or so to Midland, 25-30 mins train into CBD so comparable time to my 45min rush hour drive in Essex, but maybe less stressful.

We like the beach but don't feel we need to be on top of it at the expense of living in a smaller house that's identical to everyone else's and paying a lot more for the pleasure.

This is just our opinion based in how we live in the uk, what we're looking to improve with our move and what we saw when we were over last year. I'm sure there will be plenty of others who'll speak up for the "west side" ;0)

Hi Flatpack, glad to hear there are people living in the east and planning to :-). We are most definitely not interested in keeping up with the Jones! More so just that we choose WA because OH occupation in demand there and although we have researched Perth and like what we see we don't know much about the suburbs and want to ensure we live in a good community that is safe and welcoming and as I don't why I was told to stay west, I thought this would be the best to get some feedback!!

Both my sisters live East of the freeway and when we move out in August next year, we will live East of the Freeway because that's where we can afford to live. It's almost impossible to live without a car in Perth so the extra 5 minutes from the beach doesn't make much difference and I've never felt the need to keep up with the Jones's so we'll live within our means.

Thanks for you feedback Nikkis, the hills really interest me and I also love old houses with lots of character. So that's two for the East!! Anyone gonna stand up for the West?? :-)

We're planning on going East into the hills. Main reasons:

Not necessarily cheaper but seem to get more for your money. The houses are older but to us older = more character. Bigger blocks and therefore bigger gardens with space between you & the neighbours.

Commute isn't too bad. 15 mins or so to Midland, 25-30 mins train into CBD so comparable time to my 45min rush hour drive in Essex, but maybe less stressful.

We like the beach but don't feel we need to be on top of it at the expense of living in a smaller house that's identical to everyone else's and paying a lot more for the pleasure.

This is just our opinion based in how we live in the uk, what we're looking to improve with our move and what we saw when we were over last year. I'm sure there will be plenty of others who'll speak up for the "west side" ;0)

West of the freeway, or Marmion once you get way up north, is typically at least a third more expensive, if not double.when it comes to buying. Have a look at eden beach land prices and compare to what you would get across marmion in trinity or shorehaven. Or when it comes to renting, look at rental prices in iluka compared to joondalup or currumbine.

of course it would be nice to live near the beach, but as others have said, you will need a car in perth so whats an extra few minutes in the car.

Maybe the divide comes from more homes west houses on the east? Not sure if thats true but areas like jindalle, mindarie, burns beach, iluka etc dont exactly look like council areas to me! Haha.

Ok so you are all reassuring me that I don't need to worry about 'the geography' just need to find somewhere that we like and feel like we could call it home!!

I think that's exactly it KGB - it will probably boil down to that feeling which none of us can put into words but you'll 'just know'.

It's almost impossible to live without a car in Perth

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this though location is everything. I think the public transport system here is excellent but like all cities, it is designed to serve commerce more than leisure, perhaps. One of the reasons we choose to live where we do is that we have everything on our doorstep and our car can spend a month or so unused in the drive. If we go to the city we either take the train or ride and train.

Ok so you are all reassuring me that I don't need to worry about 'the geography' just need to find somewhere that we like and feel like we could call it home!!

Zackerley! No one can really tell you what an area is like, it's that important X-factor that makes it right for you.

Guest guest9824

Another shout out for the east side possy, the hills. We have friends up north, they live ocean side of the Marmion, and choose ocean side over other side of Marmion, not sure why, just their preference. I suppose most suburbs have a 'dark side'! But as has already been said, it's your opinion and feel of a place, as you will have to live there. Good luck

pea

East is fine. But, being beach side does not have to be expensive - i am 40 meters from door to water, and the reason we moved there (5 years ago) was it was the cheapest modern house available in the Perth or Mandurah area. But, that does mean we are south of Mandurah. Not an issue for me for work - even when i worked in the CBD