So, Red Back Spiders... Discuss

Plimthing

I have now found 8 redbacks in my garden and one in my garage in the last 24 hours. Is this normal or should i call Noris McCwerter from Record Breakers?

Does any know of a good insecticide to get rid of them? Got two little girls who want to play outside but obviously i am reluctant to let them out my sight.

I've also found a fatter black one with no red bit on its arse, more hairy than red back.

:arghh: :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Tony

As much as it pains me to say it, with young ones around a good slipper is what's needed. If the property has been vacant for a while you'll likely have more but ours was empty for a couple of months and we've only had one.

The big black hairy one is likely to be just a black house spider, especially if it lives in a funnel web. They are the favourite food of white tailed spiders which, contrary to popular belief (including my own until recently), don't have a bite that turns necrotic but can be very painful.

TBH I wouldn't use the sprays, why needlessly fill the air with insecticide, it's hardly like they move so fast you'll not catch them, just give them a whack with a thong.

As much as it pains me to say it, with young ones around a good slipper is what's needed. If the property has been vacant for a while you'll likely have more but ours was empty for a couple of months and we've only had one.

The big black hairy one is likely to be just a black house spider, especially if it lives in a funnel web. They are the favourite food of white tailed spiders which, contrary to popular belief (including my own until recently), don't have a bite that turns necrotic but can be very painful.

TBH I wouldn't use the sprays, why needlessly fill the air with insecticide, it's hardly like they move so fast you'll not catch them, just give them a whack with a thong.

Unfortunatley Port with my little ones playing in Garden i will resort to all means of chemical and biological warfare that would make President Asad of Syria whince. They are after all very dangerous to kids, yes i know they were here first, but i have to protect my nippers.

Blimey, we have an entomologist in our midst. Impressive.

I'm not sure if a bite would be any worse for cats, I don't know if their physiology would make a difference but the spider would have to find a way through the fur to bite . It's plausible that a cat could be bitten on the face, mouth, paws etc but I think it depends on the fur type of your cat and your place of residence as to whether it's a significant issue.

Port, I do agree with what you are saying, but I just couldn't live like that and I think my OH would rather prevent rather than cure.

We have been to Big W and bought some Mortiem sprays that you leave for 3-4 hours in a room. We have also bought an outside spray, I think it is 2-3 litres. You spray the outside of the house and it is supposed to stop things entering for 6 months. I have also bought a Mortiem spray for backup. I honestly don't mind the creepies outside (we have been told that the red backs like to live in the capping on the fences), but I have two dogs who love to go foraging so want to take all necessary precautions. If I had kids, it would be a no brainer for me.

If I live here for 18 months and don't see anything, I will count myself very very lucky. I have only seen two tiddlers so far and we have let them go off on their merry way.

I will let you know after today what corpses we found after our treatment of our new house.

Does anyone else half flush before using the loo?

Guest guest9824
I have now found 8 redbacks in my garden and one in my garage in the last 24 hours. Is this normal or should i call Noris McCwerter from Record Breakers?

Does any know of a good insecticide to get rid of them? Got two little girls who want to play outside but obviously i am reluctant to let them out my sight.

I've also found a fatter black one with no red bit on its arse, more hairy than red back.

:arghh: :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Tony

You will probably have many in the shed, but you just wont see them, they arent predatory spiders, they live in places like that, they like the corrogated metal of sheds and fences, it gets nice and warm, places to hide! We have had two in the house, one bit my husband on the leg, but it was only a small one, and if its tiny, the reaction is not very bad, but not worth risking it. its the larger female ones that can be quite serious(as is always the case:wink:) especially to pets and children. You wont get rid of them in the garden, but maybe spray your patio area, and get some mortein bombs for the shed, that will give you some protection. If all else fails and you are still worried, then maybe get a pest control company in to spray! Maybe keep the nippers out of the shed too! Good luck..

pea

Edited by guest9824
added wording...

We have also bought an outside spray, I think it is 2-3 litres.

I use that every 3 months or so in all the corners of the fence. Always get a few red backs fall out.

Problem is the rain will wash it away over time, so get it done often.

Also do the corners of windows & doors to the house to stop them getting in.

Guest guest9824

No need to go all the way to Australia to find 'worlds deadliest spiders'...in your bananas!!!!

http://news.sky.com/story/1163467/deadly-spiders-found-in-supermarket-bananas

A Redback bit our pet ferret here in Ballajura last year, and he passed away a few hours later :(

I had seen them around before ( always in the garden , never in the house) and left them alone, or moved them on, as I never killed spiders back in the UK.

Since poor Bilbo's demise, I have MURDERED every single one of those things that I have seen :)

Where abouts in Secret Harbour are you? I will bring the dead corpses round!

haha no thanks will let you have the pleasure of them but hubby did see a snake last night said "get in the house" i said why "he said just get in the "£$%^& house". So me replying "what is the fuss" he then said as I was casually walking in the house " a bloody snake ". Moral of the story when hubby is rather sternly saying get in the house to do so forthwith !

Port, I do agree with what you are saying, but I just couldn't live like that and I think my OH would rather prevent rather than cure.

We have been to Big W and bought some Mortiem sprays that you leave for 3-4 hours in a room. We have also bought an outside spray, I think it is 2-3 litres. You spray the outside of the house and it is supposed to stop things entering for 6 months. I have also bought a Mortiem spray for backup. I honestly don't mind the creepies outside (we have been told that the red backs like to live in the capping on the fences), but I have two dogs who love to go foraging so want to take all necessary precautions. If I had kids, it would be a no brainer for me.

If I live here for 18 months and don't see anything, I will count myself very very lucky. I have only seen two tiddlers so far and we have let them go off on their merry way.

I will let you know after today what corpses we found after our treatment of our new house.

Does anyone else half flush before using the loo?

Half flush the loo ???? Have you seen the cost of water here !!??

A Redback bit our pet ferret here in Ballajura last year, and he passed away a few hours later :(

I had seen them around before ( always in the garden , never in the house) and left them alone, or moved them on, as I never killed spiders back in the UK.

Since poor Bilbo's demise, I have MURDERED every single one of those things that I have seen :)

Those monsters do get in the house, and are scary looking.. My wife runs shrieking to another suburb while i have to remove it with a net and a plate. Usually dump them over the neighbours :)

What are the hairy greyish ones with stripes, smaller than a huntsman ?

If the body is grey and cylindrical, the legs are brown and orange stripes and it may have a tiny white tip to the end of its abdomen then it's likely to be a white tail. These give a nasty bite with itching and pain for a long period, anything up to a couple of weeks but no more harmful than a Redback.

If you do get bitten an icepack can help with the pain and swelling but with all bites, best get them checked by a doctor, especially with children.

If anyone's lucky enough to find a mouse spider I'd love a photo :biggrin:

Just to put things in perspective though folks, no one has died of a Redback bite since 1956. Around 300 people visit hospital every year with Redback bites and most are sent away with little more than some sensible advice. Don't go sticking your hand in their web but don't worry too much, you're unlikely ever to be bitten.

No need to go all the way to Australia to find 'worlds deadliest spiders'...in your bananas!!!!

http://news.sky.com/story/1163467/deadly-spiders-found-in-supermarket-bananas

No way!!! Something similar to this happened to me about 7 years ago. We bought a bunch of bananas from Tesco and when I got them home to break one off there was a huge spider in the middle. I have to add that it was actually dead and I didn't see any babies, but was very scary!

Lots of experience with these devils...best to get a professional spray job done, then just check under chairs and in corners, even your wheely bin handles. The bites are not as bad for dogs as they are humans. I just spray under outdoor seats with surface spray and keep an eye out. Most important thing to do is to teach the kids not to touch. Same as with snakes, just teach them what to do. Better to be safe rather than sorry. Also with all these chemicals you are using, a great mossie\fly repellent for the skin is one called "The Locals" no chemicals and works a treat. You can get it from health food stores.

Of all the nasty beasties in the Land of Oz my favourite has to be the spider wasp!

It's a wasp that lands on the backs of spiders, paralyses it, injects it's eggs inside the spider, and when the little cuties are born they eat their way out of the spider.

It's kind of like Gods own Karma! (Google spider wasp for pics of these little beauties, bless em)