Should my kiddo start school here or in OZ?

jennyweaver

so many decisions... and so many good answers from you lot, so i thought i would add in my dilemma and work out our answer afterwards.

My son is due to start school, in UK, in Sept 2014 and- i know- only due to start in Jan 2015 if we were in Oz. We are likely to hear any day about visas but our PCC were dated 14 Nov so I guess that would be around the time we need to fly over (yipppppeeee).

We are unlikely to have enough money to fly over before that so am in two minds about starting our son in school here for the few weeks before we go between Sept and November. Clearly we can decide nearer the time- and I have booked him places at the local school, but I am leaning towards just sending him to school for the experience. and you never know what is going to happen, right?

would you just leave him at nursery where he is settled or move him to school?

of course nursery might not allow him to stay past the legal age he should start school...

many thanks

I'm not sure what I'd do but it would probably be dependant upon which of my children it was and what their friends are doing.

All I can say is that those last few weeks were very chaotic for me and it was good that the kids still had the routine and security from school and didn't experience daddy losing it.

From an educational point of view I don't think either decision will have any bearing on their development so perhaps it comes down to your personal circumstances and whichever you feel they would enjoy the most?

We flew in the January - my son went back to school and my daughter started High School in the September and left at Christmas. It kept them busy and interacting with their friends and my daughter said that starting a new school in Aus wasn't quite as daunting as she'd done the big move to HS in the UK whilst year 7 was the last year of Primary school here.