Migrating with little money.

travelchic

Hi guys and gals.

As a proud owner of a visa my son and I are keen to make the move. The only obstacle in our way is the sale of our home. It's been on the market a couple of months now and we've not had one single viewing. Im feeling a bit disheartened by this and am considering renting it out for the time being but that would mean migrating with only a couple of thousand pounds. My friend is putting us up to begin with until I get a job and a rental. Do you think that is doable. Has anyone else done it with such limited funds. I would need a car to start with so I can get to interviews etc and pay for food and towards the bills at my friends. She has also got some things to start us off with for when we get our 1st rental. I am going to be working full time so hopefully will be able to save some money quite quickly.

I am going to wait until maybe Easter but if nothing has changed by then then this is my plan b. Am I bonkers!!

Ive not had any wobbles about making the move as such but today I've been a bit anxious about not selling the house.

Debs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in a very similar position, except our house isn't even on the market yet. I'm hoping things will pick up after Christmas and it will be sold by spring. They're extending the help to first time buyers in January, to include older properties so hopefully that will help us compete with the deals developers are offering. The demand for rental properties is quite high where I live so if it comes to it I might make some enquiries and see if I can find a buy to let landlord to take it off our hands. I'm sure they'll want a hefty discount but I don't think we'll be going anywhere unless we free up that money.

Good luck and congrats on getting your visa x

We are in the same boat in some respects. We NEED to sell the house to free up some equity to take out with us, but we WANT to keep it so that it can be rented and be out little pension pot as we will be mortgage free on it before we are 50. However, not selling would mean taking very little out with us, so not having start up money to buy a car, rental bond etc plus money to tide us over. Our plan B is for my husband to go out first and stay with friends, find work, save up some cash, me move to my parents and rent the house out and again save some money before I go out. That way we could pay cash for shipping our furniture, rental bond, car, or renting a car etc....We haven;t decided which plan to go with yet, we have decided to wait until the visa is actually granted and then take it from there. I am sure some people will think we are mad even contemplating going without a chunk of money, but I do know it can work, my friends did it last year and are 16 months in and ok!

I look forward to hearing from others who have done the same! Good Luck Debs, keep us posted xx

Edited by Raychelsb
typo

We came out here last year with $4k in our back pockets and a few suitcases but my OH had a job to go to and we could get a car on a novated lease straight away. I think we were really lucky as we found a cheap rental in a nice suburb with a private landlord and he didn't want full bond straight away etc... It's things like that that looking back really helped us, however we knew we had incoming coming in a matter of weeks. Personally I wouldn't advise coming out with so little without a job to go to, its surprising how fast money disappears.

I do hope you find a buyer for your house, the property market slows at Christmas and should pick up again by spring. Good luck.

Just my opinion so here goes.....I think that people that haven't been to a place, not sure that you have or haven't are mad if they are seriously thinking about moving and selling everything they have in the UK before they are 100% on it!! The safest bet would be to rent your home out here so that it at least clears the mortgage payment and then rent over there at least for 6 months. You might then get the time to pick a new location that you didn't even know existed. Have a real think about it, I know that's what we will be doing as a safety net when we move over.

I know people that have sold up, moved over, not liked it however in the time that they've been unhappy have managed to spend a lot of their uk house money in Oz......when they came back they really struggled to get back on the property market!!

I really hope that you do settle over there and don't look back but it is a huge decision and just to have that safety net of still Owning a property In the UK is essential IMO.

Good luck!!!!

We are so impatient to get out there but we are waiting until the end of May just to give us a bit more time to save. After researching a bit on the start up costs it all sounds so expensive, especially cars! You sound like you have support out there so that will definately help but a couple of grand isn't going to last long when you arrive if you need to buy a car and you don't have a job yet.

You sound like a strong and determined person so I'm sure you could make it work but if it were me I would give it a bit longer to wait for the house to sell or at least try to save a little bit more before coming out to ease the pressure slightly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though x

Hi guys and gals.

As a proud owner of a visa my son and I are keen to make the move. The only obstacle in our way is the sale of our home. It's been on the market a couple of months now and we've not had one single viewing. Im feeling a bit disheartened by this and am considering renting it out for the time being but that would mean migrating with only a couple of thousand pounds. My friend is putting us up to begin with until I get a job and a rental. Do you think that is doable. Has anyone else done it with such limited funds. I would need a car to start with so I can get to interviews etc and pay for food and towards the bills at my friends. She has also got some things to start us off with for when we get our 1st rental. I am going to be working full time so hopefully will be able to save some money quite quickly.

I am going to wait until maybe Easter but if nothing has changed by then then this is my plan b. Am I bonkers!!

Ive not had any wobbles about making the move as such but today I've been a bit anxious about not selling the house.

Debs

Yes Debs it is. Although different circumstances hubby came first with £5k due to unforeseen circumstances I came 3 mths later. But he had a job to go to, plus pre booked holiday let for initially 6 weeks which turned into 12 luckily. After 4 weeks he purchased a little car - nicked named the Barbie bus but its still going strong 18 mths later I now use it for work, no good on the motorway. Its not easy but it is doable so to speak. Good luck

Everyone is different, and only you will really know if you can do it or not. Yes it is expensive just getting a car and securing a rental sets you back (cheap cars are about 4k, you need 4 weeks deposit for a rental and 2 weeks rent up front), but if you have a plan for how you can manage this and survive then why not?!Do your research and understand the limitations you will be putting on yourself then make a decision as to whether you can live with the situation. Its a tough one, I know I was desperate to get going once our visa came through, thankfully we were in a position where we could do it relatively quickly. I wish you lots of luck and will keep my fingers crossed you get the house sold!

You sound like a very strong and determined woman and I can see you making a success in Perth.

We waited an extra eight months before we came out due to selling our bungalow and I am glad we waited. We have been here five months now and hubby still has not found work, which we anticipated for and had a money safety net for this very reason, we allowed him to take a year to find something. Unfortunately in his line of work, its who you know not what you know. Even without a job, we thoroughly love living here and now consider Perth our home. But, we have different circumstances to you, we have three children, one in high school , two in primary, we came out here not knowing anyone, not having anywhere to stay etc. At least you have friends you can stay with which takes the pressure off straight away about finding somewhere to live and hopefully because of your job you will very quickly find a job, maybe even before you leave the UK.

As previously mentioned you are the only one that can make the decision but I do wish you all the luck in the World.

I'm off to spend the day on the beach, as its going to be a lovely day. (you can see why I love living here)

We also came with very little, just a few grand but Mrs p was already here and had a job though it paid very little. We also couldn't sell our house in the UK and have been renting it out but it is something of a crutch and I'd love to be rid of it.

We had never been here, had nowhere to live and only one contact, a distant friends stepmother who we'd never met.

We were extraordinarily fortunate but fortune favours the brave. We made friends very quickly and they were the most generous and kind people I've ever met. In the first week we were given a car, a friend of a friend type situation led to us renting our first house and people just turned up with furniture and all sorts to help out. I think our story is very unusual though but it has everything to do with personality. I'm not trying to sound conceited but I was determined to make this work and enthusiastic about being involved in my community.

With two kids in tow it wasn't easy and at times I was terrified for them but we took little steps forward and it has been amazing.

I wouldn't underestimate how hard it can be but having friends here will undoubtedly help. I'd want to be certain of a job before moving though, what's your plan C if you come out and after three months you still have no job?

We also came with very little, just a few grand but Mrs p was already here and had a job though it paid very little. We also couldn't sell our house in the UK and have been renting it out but it is something of a crutch and I'd love to be rid of it.

We had never been here, had nowhere to live and only one contact, a distant friends stepmother who we'd never met.

We were extraordinarily fortunate but fortune favours the brave. We made friends very quickly and they were the most generous and kind people I've ever met. In the first week we were given a car, a friend of a friend type situation led to us renting our first house and people just turned up with furniture and all sorts to help out. I think our story is very unusual though but it has everything to do with personality. I'm not trying to sound conceited but I was determined to make this work and enthusiastic about being involved in my community.

With two kids in tow it wasn't easy and at times I was terrified for them but we took little steps forward and it has been amazing.

I wouldn't underestimate how hard it can be but having friends here will undoubtedly help. I'd want to be certain of a job before moving though, what's your plan C if you come out and after three months you still have no job?

Good advice this.

This emigrating is very chicken and egg tho'

You will need somewhere to live,but can't sort a rental out until you get here,even if like us you kinda know where you want to live now.

You could really do with a job,but if like me you will have to re-take all your qualifications before you get a license over here,or they will only employ you with WA experience.

You have a stack of cash in equity in the UK,the market is stagnant and your money is not doing anything,do you release it if you can to help with your new start or play cautiously and not completely commit to the move.

All questions that are answered differently for everyone it seems

Debs, the house market is picking up and this time of the year is always quiet, when feb comes more houses go up for sale and people will start looking again so I think

things will change for you in the new year, you are extremely positive in your posts so that makes me think you can make it work and once this expensive time of the year is over you may be able to save a bit more.

Thanks for all your replies.

i messages my friend on fb last night. She said they went over with very little money. That was only a couple of years ago. They now have a house with a granny flat which is where jonny and I will be staying. Ironically I've never asked her what her hubby does but guess what. He recruits nurses for an agency lol. She told me to get my ass over there ASAP. She won't let us starve. I am blessed to have good friends.

Is this a wobble that everyone gets??? I've never really had one.

Debs

Normally i would have given a big caution, but with the help of your friend i think you will be fine. The thing to look at is what costs you will have for school - uniform, books and things.

We didnt come with much. I think it was about 10k as we ended up selling the house to one of those companies that gauruntees to buy your house. We got 30% less than the valuation, but had no choice. But we didnt have any furnishings and knew no one, so had to buy everything. It took a bit of doing, but, 5 years down the line we are building our own house, have probably too much furniture and things.

There are some places that do good deals.

We will have to go with a little amount of Money as well. WE dont want to sell the house. The rent wont make a big difference as we can only get a few hundred dollars a month. Also we want to keep something back home just in case all goes downhill. We thought a lot if we should take the furniture too. Because if we dont then we will have extra 8k with us. But renting furnished flats is not common in the city where we live, we wont be able find a tenant if we keep the house furnished. And all our furniture is 2 years old, everything in good shape. So we are taking a chance and going with only 8 9 k dollars. We dont have kids yet, we are waiting until we are settled there. We will be staying at a friend's place for 2 3 months until our staff reaches there. She doesnt accept us to contribute to the rent, so I thought I'll cook, clean, do the grocery shopping, take care of her baby whenever I can to help. We also made a plan b, if we cannot find a job to pay the rent, we'll find a storage unit and continue staying with friends.

I'm thinking of going for casual jobs initially to get by until my husband finds a job in his occupation. I read from other forums some people go with only 2 3 k and they are fine, if you want you can do it. WHO knows, maybe your place will be sold by the time you make the move.

Portlauney is spot on , its about taking small steps and bit by bit it all starts to fall into place. Of course there are "wobble" days but the steps back become less frequent and the love of life out here even more intense. We've only been here since August but strewth not being here isn't even a consideration now.

Just do it [ as they say ]

:shocked::shocked:

Yep. But, turned out ok in the end as they bought it to resell on - but in the month after we sold, the GFC hit and it was sold for 10k less than we sold it to the company! So, actually a lucky escape for us.

The sale went through the day we were leaving and if it hadnt, we would have been pretty stuck as the total sum of every penny we had in the world that morning was about 5 pounds!

Go for it!!! IT will be tough but it will all work out in the end xx

It sounds like you have a good friend to help you get started. Very fortunate! I'm currently trying to decide whether to book flights without selling the house & just cross my fingers for a sale in the new year...after always having a double income, the thought of none, even for a short while frightens me. Still, I've heard enough great stories to take a chance. Fingers crossed!

Guest guest10912

I think it would be foolhardy to move with a couple of grand and no job to go to. If you can get a job lined up, then it would still be tough but you could make that work. Otherwise that GBP2k would be gone in no time and your friendship could be severely tested, migrating breaks up some marriages so imagine it can do the same to a friendship as well.

The sensible thing to do would be to focus on selling the house, with not one viewing, I would have to wonder if it is over priced for the market conditions. I also have a house in UK and am thinking of selling but have been told to wait another 6 months as the agents think improvements are around the corner. Can you wait that long or is your visa running out? If you still have plenty of time on the visa then I would recommend you play the long game here.

Rupert, I still have plenty of time. I've got AHPRA registration to validate by sept, or start the process again. Which is plenty of time. And I need to sell the house really to detach myself from my ex husband. I think I was just having one of those days. Work has been awful for a couple of months and I've unintentionally lost quite a bit of weight because of another person at work. I can't wait to get out of there. And looking for another job here in the uk would be foolish at the moment so I've just got to suck it up.

I'm not going to rent the house out. I'll wait and do a validation trip before sept if need be. But thanks everyone for your messages. I appreciate it. I need grounding at times lol

Debs