Migrating with little money.

travelchic

Oh Debs. This whole process can be frustrating at times but definitely small steps are the way to go.

I think after Xmas things will start to pick up for you selling your house but if I were you I'd be on at the agent to ensure they are marketing your property in the right way, get some feedback as to why no one's even had a sniff...is it the pics, the price etc?...and when you get that first potential buyer through the door make sure you have pulled out all the stops to entice them to make you an offer!

Sometimes things feel like they are going slowly only to suddenly take off at a pace. You'll get there; I know you will because you are determined to make it happen.

We all have a wobble now and again...:eek:

Lou x

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renting out your property can be a good alternative. As someone said above you are protected if you want to go back to the UK. I figure that the pound will go above $2 to 1 over time. Coupled with stamp duty on buying a UK property, if I sell my London home and prices in a London rise, I can never return. So I'm doing the next best thing. I'm releasing some equity in my house through additional borrowing and then letting it out. My deposit available in Aus is lower so I can only afford a house with 2/3 of the value that I could if I sold my UK house. But personally I prefer the flexibility as I hand on heart can't guarantee the success or failure of our move. Good luck with it all. Just another option to consider.

Hi Travelchi,

I went to Oz on a WHV 13 years ago with very little money and it was a mistake, wasted a lot of time in Sydney scrimping and saving, as the money I took just disappeared on necessities which I did not anticipate. Your situation is slightly different but there will be enough to stress about without having to stress about money!

Sticking your job out is the right approach! I took Redundancy before my Visa Grant, now I’m having a nightmare of a time trying to find work that fits round family commitments and started eating into savings for the move.

Stick it out you will get there!

With regard to jobs I had a 457 job alert the other day I think it was from indeed.au or job rapido.au. I’m sure they were asking for nurses in WA for sponsorship, I also saw something on a Google search I did. I have been trying to look for it for you but no joy yet, if I come across it I will let you know, as it may be an option if you tell them you have a visa already.

There is also a “Working In” event in Manchester in March, may be worth a look for potential jobs.

We have had a similar problem with our house, estate agents have a tendency to tell you what you want to hear, as apposed to the truth, though an independent has just been up front with me and I stand to loose on a sale, so we are looking at transferring on an interest only buy to let mortgage for a couple of years just a s a fall back. Jus an option I know has been suggested by a number of others, Sods law if you d that everything will fall into place when you land in Perth.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh Travelchic, really sorry to hear that you have to go through having a scan that sucks :err: will keep everything crossed for you that its all OK.

looking for the positives though, great news about having a viewing on your house :jiggy:

Thankyou. Been in work all day so don't know how the viewing went. I'm thinking that someone will call me in the next day or so and let me know. Fingers crossed.

Been thinking about what the doctor said and I'm thinking he's just erring on the side of cautious. Just glad I've already had my medical for visa or that could have been detrimental. Phew!!

Debs

Thanks guys. I had surgery on my spine in 2011 to have a disc shaved, but when I was on the operating table my surgeon realised that I had a benign tumour on my spine that was pressing on my sciatic nerve. And that was what was causing me the problems I had, not the disc. So he removed it and that was the end of that. The tumour that was on my spine only occurs either in the spine or the brain. That's why he's being cautious. I hope ha ha.

And the viewer I had wants to come back at the weekend for a second viewing. He's interested in buying it to let it out. So no chain. Woo hoo!!!

Debs

Normally i would have given a big caution, but with the help of your friend i think you will be fine. The thing to look at is what costs you will have for school - uniform, books and things.

We didnt come with much. I think it was about 10k as we ended up selling the house to one of those companies that gauruntees to buy your house. We got 30% less than the valuation, but had no choice. But we didnt have any furnishings and knew no one, so had to buy everything. It took a bit of doing, but, 5 years down the line we are building our own house, have probably too much furniture and things.

There are some places that do good deals.

We too, are in a similar position. We plan to move in just a few months time and to rent out the house here. There is no financial sense in us selling it. Due to all of our money being tied up in this and we still have a whopping credit card bill to pay off from our validation trip and in getting the house ready to what we thought would be sell, we will be coming out with very little money and will still have to send money back. We don't have jobs yet, but during our validation trip we have made some promising leads so are hopeful that things will work out (what else can you be but optimistic) it seems that now the decision is made that things keep going wrong and need replacing causing more expense which is a constant pressure and frustration. We considered putting the move off, but in truth we feel like we will keep doing that as nothing will ever be perfect. Also we have the kids point of education to consider. They have managed to be accepted into a fantastic school and my daughter will need to do her WACE in little over a year in order to obtain a school based qualification with which to go onto Uni with. So once her GCSE's are finished we just have to bite the bullet. Im not under any illusions that this is going to be super tough. But it will be tough to stay too now that we are so far down the line. They money is the most worrying part of the move, especially with children to consider. But if not now then When?

Maybe you could rent it out for 12 months and see how you go. You can always put it on the market at a later date and may even get more money for it. Can you just pay the interest on it until you're settled with jobs. That would free up some money. Or maybe you could sell half of it. I have a couple of friends who part own a house.

I am willing to reduce mine for what a validation trip would cost me if need be. I have to give my ex half of the equity so if someone offers me less then the reduction is shared between us which isn't too bad. I won't have loads but it'll be enough to get me by until we get settled.

I have someone coming for a second look at my house sometime today. I didn't get out of work till 10 last night (was supposed to finish at 8) and there was a message from my estate agent on my phone saying the viewer is coming today but didnt mention what time. Aaarrrrggghhhh. Been up since 6 cleaning and tidying. Don't think my neighbours will be happy with me hoovering early in the morning lol.

Debs

Firstly... I hope that the viewing went well! we are on interest only already... and will be renting in Perth anyway... we would need to wait a while to get a decent deposit together. Where are you planning on settling? we are just hopeful that we will find jobs... and that the plan will come together... Im sure it will! We have got this far and didn't expect to!

Thanks zebradeb. The viewing went ok but haven't heard anything yet. Didn't expect to though giving that its Xmas week.

I am staying with my friend in Mullalloo to begin with but I plan on settling wherever I get a job. I want my work, Jonny's school and our home to all be in close proximity if I can. Don't want to spend half my life travelling to and from work like I sometimes do now. I want to spend more time with jonny. I would reduce my work hours if I could but having only one wage means I can't. Here I work 40 hours one week and 55 the next. I plan on doing 40 or less when we move if I can get away with it.

What jobs do you do. Have you looked on the usual seek etc. I contacted a few hospitals that I knew had endoscopy units and asked them about potential positions. A couple of them have asked me to contact them upon arrival so its a start. I've read a few posts on here saying that in most cases, employers will only entertain you if you're living there. Do you know where you will be settling??

Debs

Hi Debs, We are staying in Mullaloo too. We are both school teachers. There are some good schools around that area. We looked all over the place, but that seemed to feel more like we could settle there. Fingers crossed we get something sorted soon and are in a similar position as I have a little one and he will need to find a nursery place before I can get work. Plus want to get all of the kids settled. It will be extremely tough on one wage, particularly with the shoe string budget we have. But Hey, eyes on the prize and we will have to make it work!

Have you booked your flights yet? Good luck with the house viewing.

School wise for Jonny, check out this site. http://www.myschool.edu.au/ that will give you information on any school. :)