Memoirs of a new migrant

Nikkis2000

We have now been here just over a week and I thought it was time for an update on how we're settling into our new life so far.

It already feels like a lifetime since we left rainy, cold London but our adventure only started just over a week ago when left Heathrow on a Singapore Airlines flight, destination - Perth.

The flight itself was fairly uneventful. We managed to secure exit seats (prepaid it has to be said) on the upstairs deck of the A380. We therefore had some level of comfort. The food and the service was good and although we didn't bring any kids, as reported, they seemed to be really good with those that were on the flight. There was no mention of the $20 dollars airport spending money it has been mentioned that you get if you are in transit with Singapore. We meant to ask but, to be honest, completely forgot. It was a bit of a non issue for us as by the time we had freshened up, took a wander through the Butterfly garden and walked to the next flight, we wouldn't have had time to spend it anyway!

Our first full day involved a trip into Perth CBD to activate our bank account with NAB. We were dropped by our relatives at a station a bit nearer to town and we caught the train in. It cost a whole $2 each! The CBD itself seems really easy to navigate round and we found the bank in no time. The lady we spoke to in the branch was really helpful, not only in setting up the account but giving us general advice about what we need to do to set ourselves up in terms of formalities, get around and generally settle in.

We then did the rounds of the Telco's (phone shops as they are called out here) to suss out the best deals on mobiles. We both had unlocked phones so only needed SIM cards. We did look at SIM Only contracts but the amount of ID required is prohibitive to getting a contract within the first few weeks of moving here. As advised by many on this forum we plumped for pre-paids and went with Telstra as their coverage in rural areas was much better. We are out in the sticks for our first few weeks so this was quite important for us!

Due to our slightly isolated location we have been fairly reliant on the generosity of family members taxi'ing us around. However, to make it easier for them we have also been using public transport to get as far home as we can before asking them to pick us up. As a result we have had a fairly good introduction to the Transperth system. The train ride home on our first day was slightly interesting as there were problems with some of the doors and we sat at Guildford station for 30 mins while they tried to fix them. In general though we have found the trains and buses easy to use, cheap and reliable. The bus drivers seem to be some of the happiest I have ever come across and are more than happy to help, give you a shout when you get to your stop etc. One lady even stopped between stops to let an old boy off right in front of his house! It just wouldn't happen in the UK!!

The next few days for us consisted of doing the rounds of visiting other relatives whilst sorting out Medicare (which was really easy), looking into transferring driving licences (another process for which they need your entire life in paper form) and starting to look for jobs. OH even went out on a day's work experience with his cousin, carting water to rural areas where people need their rainwater tanks re-filling.

Then things got really interesting - we were introduced to the Perth summer in quite spectacular style! The forecast had been for a hot weekend but I don't think anybody was quite prepared for what came. Out where we are staying it hit 46 degrees during Saturday afternoon.

You would think that being new to the Aussie summer we would have been sunbathing/in the pool/ hiding indoors with the air con on? No! We were car shopping - Talk about mad dogs and Englishmen! Unfortunately our need to get some wheels and be able to get ourselves around was greater than the need to shelter from the heat. You might've thought that we'd draw the line at that and get home asap for a cold G&T, but no, we ploughed on (well OH did, I did actually escape to the pool). He then went off with his uncle to assist moving an extremely heavy pool table down to his cousins new house!

We went to bed on Saturday night with fans going and windows open, only to wake up in the middle of the night realising that the fan had gone off. A few minutes of investigation later we realised that the power had gone off. We went back to sleep as we were fortunate enough to be on the side of the house where the breeze was coming through the window so were fairly comfortable. It was only in the morning we found out that the power was out across the whole district and the others in the house had spent the hottest night on record (it only got down to 29 degrees in Perth) on the verandah trying to keep cool!

We were also introduced to the harsh realities of life in Australia with the news of the serious bush fires over in the hills area. We could actually see the smoke from where we are and have other family in the affected area, although they weren't in the immediate danger area. Due to the fire risk and ongoing fires in the Hills, the power was off all day on Sunday which was another hot one at around 43 degrees. The power company wasn't actually allowed to bring the trucks across the field that they needed to because a "harvest ban" was put in force which means that no farming machinery can be used due to the risk of starting new fires. As a result we didn't get power back until just after Midnight. In true Aussie style though, everyone made the best of a bad set of circumstances and before escaping to yet another set of rellies that did have power and a pool, we left the generators running to ensure that that the fridges kept running so that the beer didn't get warm!!

By Monday it had cooled down again, and after another quick trip into the CBD to meet a recruitment agent, we caught the bus into Como to go a look at a car. Again I was taken aback by the friendliness and helpful nature of the locals here. The guy selling the car is down south so arranged for us to deal with a friend of his. After looking at the car and deciding we wanted it we spoke to the seller who was happy to take a deposit and let us drive away! His friend, having met us for five minutes, even drove us round to the local bank so we could draw out the cash!!

We took the opportunity of being mobile to have our first trip to the beach and had a lovely, if very windy, walk along Mullaloo beach. It gave us an opportunity to reflect on everything that had happened so far since leaving the UK and we concluded that "Yes - we have definitely done the right thing" Mind you it's hard to say anything otherwise when you realise that you are now lucky enough to call this place home........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1243[/ATTACH]

Edited by Nikkis2000

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest9824

Great post Nikkis, you sound well and truly settled already. Hope something comes of the agency visit! Looking forward to reading more in the coming weeks, take care and pm sent.

peax

• 3 weeks later...
From someone who is just starting on this journey, (husband has been offered a job with sponsorship on 457 visa) it was really reassuring to ready your post - thank you! Will probably be annoying the hell out of everyone when I start posting all my questions and worries!

Welcome to PP. Why not start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had comments from a few of you recently asking what the latest update is. So - get comfy, it's a long one!!

I wrote in my first post that we had been here a week and it felt like a lifetime since we were at Heathrow. Well times that by about three lifetimes now!

Our main focus in the few weeks following our arrival was to sort out the rental and get moved in. We were extremely fortunate to have a very generous cousin (yep another one!) with a house in Ellenbrook which she rents out. She is letting us stay there until we get settled and find our own place. However back in January the house had only just been vacated by the previous tenant and it needed a bit of TLC. Numerous trips to Bunnings and Masters later and we were ready to spend a few days slapping paint on walls, tidying up gardens and putting up blinds (I left at the point the swearing started when OH realised the window frames were metal :wideeyed:).

We moved in at the beginning of Feb, just in time to pick our beloved moggies from Quarantine :cute:.

We managed to also get some fun bits done and crossed off Yanchep National Park, Perth Zoo and Caversham from the tourist "to do" list. We were invited to dinner by our lovely new friends. We watched the Australia Day fireworks from across the River having done a pub crawl on the way. We spent an afternoon at Hillarys. We had two, 2yo birthday parties within 2 days. We had a lovely slap up lunch at a winery for our wedding anniversary......and then I got a job!

I couldn't believe how quickly it all happened. The many hours of trawling through Seek and updating Linked In seemed to have paid off and, in between decorating, I had a few more meetings with agents and even got a couple of interviews. I'd had a few phone conversations with one particular agent after he had found my details on Linked In. He asked if I was happy for him to put me forward for this job. Of course I agreed and they subsequently invited me for an interview. The agent wanted to meet in person before the interview, which I thought was fair enough, so got all prepped up with my best interviewing answers. Well, if I was in the room for more than 10 minutes it was a long time! He said yes he was happy I didn't have two heads and good luck for tomorrow! I duly turned up for the interview the following day, once again all prepped up. The most challenging question they threw at me was "Well does it sound ike something you can do?" my response "Errrrrr.......Yes?!" Once again I was probably in there for about 10 minutes! OH and I drove off to do some shopping and I settled in for the typical WA "Wait Awhile" before I heard anything about the job. Not so! Less than an hour later, whilst standing in Dick Smiths looking at TVs, I got a call that went along the lines "Congratulations mate - you got the gig. Can you start next Wednesday?"

So that was it - after less than a month in the country and a grand total of 6 weeks since I left my job in the UK, I was back on the workforce! I was really pleased, obviously, but there was a small part of me saying that maybe I hadn't finished having my holiday yet! So we've been making sure that we fill the weekends with nice stuff! It helps that you can fit so much into a day round here, and yet life happens at a pace that means you still get the chance to sit back and enjoy it. Even on a work day I'm up and out of bed with the larks (or parrots!), I get to the gym, fit in a full days work and still have time to get home and enjoy the evening. A couple of weekends ago we had to go into Perth first thing on the Saturday so we took a picnic with us and went up to Kings Park after our meeting. We even had time for a couple of hours on Cottesloe Beach on the way home and were back home in time for a bbq!

Of course it helps that over the last few weeks I have had a house husband. I haven't had to lift a finger and I still haven't worked out my way round Woolies yet because he's been doing the shopping! However, he has also been quite busy working on other things as well, and as those of you who have been reading Porty's thread on "Going it alone" will know, we have bought into a water delivery business in Chittering and he has started working this week. The principle is fairly simple - he and his cousin deliver water in the rural areas that rely on rain-water tanks. Its getting to the time of year where people are starting to run out so he's going to be pretty busy initally - I guess I'd better dig out my marigolds again :sad:!

So you might be thinking by this point that there couldn't possibly be anything else to report, that all of this is more than enough to fit into 7 weeks but no - there is one more thing! I have debated whether or not to go public with this yet as I'm not sure if I want to tempt fate and it all falls through. But in the interests of giving a full and frank update I think it deserves a mention. Sooooo - weboughtahouselastweek. See, if I say it quickly it's not too bad!

It's still early days and is all subject to finance & surveys etc etc but due to the way things work over here, we have already signed the contract and have a move date of 14th Apr! :eek: We haven't even received our container yet :wacko:!!

I know this goes against all the advice of renting for six months and finding out where you want to be etc but things have worked out slightly differently for us. We knew before we moved that we didn't really want to live in suburbia and Ellenbrook, for all it's good points, has confirmed that. Also with OH now running a rural business it felt a bit wrong to not live in, and contribute to that community. Its going to be one heck of a commute for me but it's not totally unreasonable (just under an hour) and to be honest its worth it to go home to this every day..

.image23.jpg

Well I think that is just about it for now. I feel quite exhausted re-reading it, it makes me realise just how much we have achieved in such a short space of time.

I suppose the main things people really want to know when they read these updates is "Are there any regrets?", "do you miss the UK", "Is it really that good?"

My responses, right now, would be "Not one", "No way!", and "Hell Yeaaah!"

Love Nikki xx