To Perth in May

Rana

Hi Guys,

:ssign16:

We have a PR and have booked our flight to Perth in May,my husband is a civil engineer with 9 years experience in UAE. How long should we expect it will take him to find a job? although his skills were required when we applied for our PR but looking at the recruitment sites it seems that it will not be that easy? do you think he might secure himself couple of interviews before we land?

we are desperate for answers.

thanks alot :) :smile2:

It is very hard to get interviews before you are in the country and at the moment there will not be much recruiting going on as December and January are very dead for recruiting.

I would though, the same as everyone, advise you have enough funds to live for at least 3 months and ideally 6 after landing.

Hi Guys,

:ssign16:

We have a PR and have booked our flight to Perth in May,my husband is a civil engineer with 9 years experience in UAE. How long should we expect it will take him to find a job? although his skills were required when we applied for our PR but looking at the recruitment sites it seems that it will not be that easy? do you think he might secure himself couple of interviews before we land?

we are desperate for answers.

thanks alot :) :smile2:

If you can get a Perth address before coming then it could be possible. When moving from Wongan Hills we used a friends address and my wife managed to get a job in Perth before we moved there.

After that it took me about 3 weeks to get a job after we moved down.

Thanks for the tip Stevie, we already booked a furnished apartment for three months maybe we can use the address there. your post gave me a bit of a relief. have you dealt with specific agencies?

thanks again

Well if you have a furnished apartment you have the upper hand.

There are loads of agencies in Perth ie Flexi staff, DT work Force, Adecco, intergrated Work Force, etc. There are plenty of them, but my advice to you is to actually go into the agencies and hand in a CV. In this way it gives them a chance to get to look at you and show them that you are keen. Don't just send a CV. Went to them all and managed to get offered 2 jobs in one go (eventually). Will take around 3 weeks, so don't get despondent. The other option is to go to companies and say you are looking for work. This also got me a job offer and this was the one I took.

Just be warned there are lots of people out there in Perth looking for work, so to get it you have to work at it!

• 1 year later...

Hi Stevie,

Can i know why having some address gives you a upper hand. We r moving to Perth in July . We have booked a hotel for two weeks and we expect to find a decent house within that time. Is that possible to find a house within that time frame. And i would like to contact you in person to have more details about job agencies. My husband has 7 years of experience in Telecommunications industry with CCNA And hopefully be done with CCNP before coming to Australia. Thanks a lot.

Sarah, We booked a furnished apartment for 2 and a half months and weren't able to get a house for rental. we were rejected for more than 15 houses and were told it might be for different reasons ( not having reference, having a lot of kids '3', and other reasons) we even suggested to pay 6 months in advance but even this didn't work. So we had to move Melbourne were one of our relatives got us a house on his name. Finding a job might take sometime my husband got his job within 4 months. I hope things will be easier for you

it wont be easy at first but its worth it. once your settled things will get easier.