Where to holiday on way to Perth?

Lou8670

We've decided to have a holiday 'on our way' to Perth but are in a bit of a dilemma as to where to go. We're doing a trip to London as the kids have never been and don't know whether to go to Europe (kids are desperate to go to Italy) or whether to holiday on route, and if so where?

Is there anywhere you wished you'd visited before moving to Perth? We have 3 children all under 10 years. Any tips and ideas would be gratefully received.

Lou

I always wanted to travel through SE Asia and now we're here and it's on our doorstep it's awesome.

I'd say go with somewhere that's close to you now as it might be out of reach when you're here. I love Italy, Rome is spectacular but to be honest I don't know anyone who's been to any part of Italy and not thought it was magical.

There are really only three places in Europe I miss; Scotland, Iceland and Italy and I'd hate to think I might never get to see them again.

If I could have done anything before I left it would probably have been to see Barcelona or Morocco.

I always wanted to travel through SE Asia and now we're here and it's on our doorstep it's awesome.

I'd say go with somewhere that's close to you now as it might be out of reach when you're here. I love Italy, Rome is spectacular but to be honest I don't know anyone who's been to any part of Italy and not thought it was magical.

There are really only three places in Europe I miss; Scotland, Iceland and Italy and I'd hate to think I might never get to see them again.

If I could have done anything before I left it would probably have been to see Barcelona or Morocco.

Exactly what I was thinking Porty; although I know I might be a little bit impatient and want to get to Oz or at least feel like we are on our way. Maybe I should put it to a house vote :wink:

Exactly what I was thinking Porty; although I know I might be a little bit impatient and want to get to Oz or at least feel like we are on our way. Maybe I should put it to a house vote :wink:

I know what you mean and whoever you go there's a danger that you might miss the rich periphery because your focus is on Oz but you'll have to be disciplined. If the house vote for Italy none of you will be disappointed. We stayed just North of Rome in a place called Viterbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viterbo) and it was breathtaking. Every day was amazing and there's an incredible Slow Food restaurant in town. We took the train into Rome for a few nights and it was probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. On our first night we walked through the town square, met a couple who invited us back to their place where they poured wine from their family's vineyard down our throats and we sat and roasted chestnuts on their open fire. They didn't speak English and we didn't speak Italian but we all had a fantastic time.

If you're interested in history, food, wine, art and design it's an extraordinary place.

Yep second vote for Italy!

We are going back to the UK in June and flying Perth - Manchester, spending 10 days in England, then getting a jet2 flight down to Rome and doing Rome - Perth with Qatar Airlines. This was cheaper than doing a straight forward return to Manchester and you can see Singapore/Hong Kong/KL fairly easily from Perth, Italy on the other hand is quite far away.

Guest guest9824
We've decided to have a holiday 'on our way' to Perth but are in a bit of a dilemma as to where to go. We're doing a trip to London as the kids have never been and don't know whether to go to Europe (kids are desperate to go to Italy) or whether to holiday on route, and if so where?

Is there anywhere you wished you'd visited before moving to Perth? We have 3 children all under 10 years. Any tips and ideas would be gratefully received.

Lou

Singapore would be great for a trip with the kiddies I reckon Lou. Sentosa is supposed to be fab and the night safari a must. Also a new Legoland has opened not far from Singapore in Malaysia, friends said it was awesome, only just opened, they had a themed pirate room with a treasure chest, that the kids had to find in the room once found had new toys in...sounded amazing great for under 10s.

Peax

Much as I love Singapore and thoroughly recommend it for a stopover, especially with kids, you can access this easily from Perth anyway. So my suggestion would be to go for something closer to UK that you all want to do.... Europe is a long way from Perth and costs a fortune to visit for a family from here.... let us know what you decide and feedback afterwards!

These tips are great.

We put it to a family vote last night! They all want to go to Italy - mainly for the food! My daughter wants to go to India - for the food; and youngest son to China, Egypt and Singapore! My eldest wants to go to the Grand Prix! They don't want much :biglaugh:

I think Singapore is a definite stop over as we also have a few friends there; either that or I fancy Hong Kong.

I think we might see if we can get cheap return flights to Italy as we can leave some luggage at my parents - I don't fancy lugging our 37kg x 5 cases there and I'm sure the budget airlines won't take them!

Any more suggestions welcome! If we could we'd go skiing as this is the first year we've not been in years, but all our kit is packed ready to ship and there's no way we'll get any more stuff in our bags; what with work, winter, gym and summer clothes for the next 4 months!

If you're doing something en-route then Singapore is great for kids and Hong Kong has Disney. Do check though if you've got extra baggage allowance if the carrier allows stop overs

Thanks Ali. We've already validated so just going with the 30kg each plus hand luggage. Still that's 185kg for a family of 5!!!

We did 20 nights in Florida on our way taking in the whole theme park thing. Then leaving there we had to fly Orlando to Dallas then round to Brisbane for a 4 day stop before finally hitting Perth.

Left Blighty with 8 cases and then left the US with 10 as the extra were holding Xmas pressies !

Our flights all the way worked out pretty cheap booked through Qantas as a Round the World ticket. We sorted accommodation, hire cars and theme tickets online ;-)

Oh and we paid 90 pounds to take the 3 extra cases but only for the first BA leg, the rest we had a 2 piece each allowance so 10 cases !!

Edited by Chardy