Brave??

beandownunder

In the last three days (since word has definitely gotten out about our plans) at least five people have said to me "you're so brave, I couldn't do it".

So the question is do you think it is brave? I hadn't really thought of it like that, just exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I associate bravery with heroes putting themselves in the way of danger to save another,

hmmm.....

just wondering what you think??

Bean xxx

Edited by beandownunder

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bean,

We are in exactly the same situation. We have just gone public and have had the same type of response as you. Brave? I think that word is interchangeable with 'Mad' for some people. It is brave/mad to take a leap of faith and leave behind everything that makes you feels secure. All those things that anchor us to a place, make us who we are. Job, home, school, friends, family...all those things cast aside for the new adventure.

I must admit that I enjoyed reading another post on here this morning, someone said they couldn't wait to be there. So positive and enthusiastic. I must admit that I am excited but feeling very scared too. Wondering if I am mad at the moment too!

I think some people are risk takers and some arent. Some people are happy and content with what they have whilst others strive to get something better for them or themselves.

I sat in the car park of a retail park yesterday looking at everyone happily scurrying around buying clothes and spending their sundays spending money whilst returning to often old, rusty cars - but they looked happy. My hubby and I had a moment where we realised we wouldnt dream of wasting unneccisary money on shopping spree's as we need to save up to £20k to emigrate. Is it them or us that is mad? Possibly us! But it does allow us to take a risky opportunity in life to improve our current situation.

Guest guest9824

Brave to many people Bean who have never stepped out of their comfort zone, lived in the same town, even street that they were brought up in, nothing wrong with that, but to them, you could be stepping on the moon....many people need a passport to leave their towns let alone counties,again each to their own.

It takes a very strong person to undertake the migration route, strength from your own family unit too will be extremely important. As many have said before, nothing ventured.....

best of luck brave bean :)

peax

Brave/Stupid - its a very thin line, that's how I described it when we were making the move, you never know until you take that leap. But sitting in a winery this afternoon with a few wine tasters in front of us and a share platter or food on a lovely sunny day, I don't think we were stupid, just very brave to try and make our dreams come true. All we need now is to find a long term rental/buy our own house and buy a kitten and a puppy and that will make our new, but very different lives complete.

Brave to many people Bean who have never stepped out of their comfort zone, lived in the same town, even street that they were brought up in, nothing wrong with that, but to them, you could be stepping on the moon....many people need a passport to leave their towns let alone counties,again each to their own.

It takes a very strong person to undertake the migration route, strength from your own family unit too will be extremely important. As many have said before, nothing ventured.....

best of luck brave bean :)

peax

Zackerley, pea.

Bravery is an adjective that is applied to an individual from the perspective of those bestowing it. I think it's entirely appropriate for anyone to be regarded as brave because the person providing the moniker is justified when their perspective makes it so. I think the firies out in Atwell tonight are extraordinarily brave but they would perhaps not think so, preferring terms such as duty or job. Was Felix Baumgartner brave when he leapt from a capsule 24 miles above the earth? He might say he did it for entirely selfish reasons and there is nothing brave about it.

For many people, emigrating to a different country, with a great numbers of unknowns, particularly when you have children in tow, is a brave thing to do and some may feel the same degree of fear, apprehension, excitement and madness as a man in a space suit free falling back to earth.

Brave/Stupid - its a very thin line, that's how I described it when we were making the move, you never know until you take that leap. But sitting in a winery this afternoon with a few wine tasters in front of us and a share platter or food on a lovely sunny day, I don't think we were stupid, just very brave to try and make our dreams come true. All we need now is to find a long term rental/buy our own house and buy a kitten and a puppy and that will make our new, but very different lives complete.

That sounds like a pretty awesome afternoon. Where were you? What did you drink and what are your recommendations?

This thread has made me smile. We are so bloody lucky to have the chance to do this.

Being brave or rather courageous is probably a quality that we must all be bringing to the new land we want to settle in.

I am thinking that there must be some Darwinian evolutionary thing going on in Oz. A concentration of go-getting, courageous people. The highly selective Oz immigration policy is not just shaping the skills of the workforce but also the personal qualities of its nation to risk and adventure. A brave new world for brave people.

It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day rat race.... And although life here isn't one big holiday, it isn't as much of a rat race... For us especially! In the uk, our family of five lived in a two bed flat, just outside of London. The four bed house that not only did we dream of but also that was nessescary to accomadate us, was never even an option!! However here, Perth, offers us all the things we couldn't have achieved in the Uk... In one sense i do feel brave.... to leave everything we have known....but not at any point have i questioned what or why we are doing it?!.... For our family, i feel we had no other option!!! I look at life as an adventure.... I want us to have the best adventure possible with no regrets!.... And to quote Pea, Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;) xxx

I often get people saying 'you're so brave, I wish we could do that'.

I think its that we are more determined and driven to try and improve our lifestyle and life experiences rather than those that just moan about wanting to do it but never actually try to make it happen. We are realistic that it will be hard but we are up for the challenge, us Perth Pomers are a tough breed I reckon!

Brave?? It's all I've been hearing the last few days. Along with "Have you got jobs to go to?....No.....But you have 3 kids!....what will you do for money?....err we have enough....omg you are soooo brave". I don't feel brave; In fact right now I feel a bit of an emotional mess! My Oh made me laugh though when he said that he thinks of being brave as handsome; he's obviously watched too much Brave Heart, Lol

Edited by Lou8670

Ha ha Lou. That's another isn't it.

I get have you got a job to go to. No.

Do you have family there. No.

Are you renting out you're house in case you come back. No.

You don't need a holiday, you're going on a big Long holiday. Yes I do need a holiday.

It's expensive there you know. Yes I know.

wont you miss your family. Yes.

It'll be a shame to take jonny out of school. He loves it. They have schools in Australia you know.

Its a really long flight you know. Good job it's not a commute then isn't it.

Drives me mad. I've come to the conclusion that the people who pass all these comments, usually one after another, secretly wish they had the balls to do it lol.

Debs

Lou, you and me together! I so love the fact that this is the only place I can come and be amongst people going through exactly the same as me.

Yesterday, I had this mother from the playground approach me, full of smiles. She said she had heard from her son that we were off to Oz. How exciting! So did we have jobs to go to? No. Did we have schools sorted? No. Where will you be living? Don't know. I could see the fixed smile on her face slipping to horror. I told her we basically had a blank piece of paper with nothing on it apart from the word PERTH. However, once we got there we would start to draw on it and fill in the gaps. "Wow, you are so brave!"

Ha ha Lou. That's another isn't it.

You don't need a holiday, you're going on a big Long holiday. Yes I do need a holiday.

It'll be a shame to take jonny out of school. He loves it. They have schools in Australia you know.

Drives me mad. I've come to the conclusion that the people who pass all these comments, usually one after another, secretly wish they had the balls to do it lol.

Debs

Debs, you've summed it up beautifully! Of course we've also had the "oh I'm so jealous" and "you lucky buggers!" One of my friends said she would love for her family to have a big lifestyle change and move overseas and admitted they don't have the balls.

Hi Deb

Agree with every thing you say it been the same with us. I say to every one it only a plane ride back if we want to come back and we can always buy another house or rent.

Deb

.QUOTE=travelchic;87351]Ha ha Lou. That's another isn't it.

Debs

Message from my Aussie cousin today who was born in Australia and lives in Victoria...says it all really....

Hi Lou!!

What fantastic news!! I can't believe you kept it so quiet for so long. I would have been bursting to tell someone!

It is such a big move for you both but such a great move. How has your Mum and Dad taken the news? and Paul?

You know what, you guys are going to do great over here. The lifestyle is so good. Just what you need to get yourselves out of a rutt!! So it looks like the XXXXX family will be visiting the XXXXX family really soon!!! Whoo Hoo!!

If there is anything you need help with just yell out. We are happy to help if we can.

When do you finish work? I'm thinking you will have a bit of time off to take the kids away and see your Mum and Dad before you come here?

I still can't believe it!!!! This is great news!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your dates and plans.

Loves and Hugs

xxxxxx

It certainly gets a reaction, which kind of surprised me. We'd been living with our secret plans for so long that they had become almost ordinary to us. I love that everyone has an opinion! Since we started telling people last year I've heard some mad things about Australia and Perth specifically. Only today I was told not to get a cat because the locals will kill it as they eat the birds, and last week someone told me that people in Perth don't cycle anywhere. I'll have to live on a bus route because my son won't be able to cycle to school? I'm looking forward to finding out which of all the crazy things I've been told, turns out to be true?