Advice from Plumbers in Perth

Catriona McKay

Hi we are just about to start the visa process and have been thinking of moving to Prrth for a while now. My partner is a Site Supervisor, plumber to trade. I've had a look through some threads and have noticed a lot of negative posts about not getting work because you need wa experience. Is there any success stories out there to make me feel better. We were out in perth over Christmas & new year staying with friends who have their PR now and are doing well. Our friends say we are perfect candidates but I'd like to hear other opinions. Just found this forum last night. Many thanks!

Hi, we moved out here 29th December this year, I'm a plumber and have not found work yet.ive only been looking for around 3 weeks. I do not have my licence ,but am booked in on 31st march for two weeks gap training. I have phoned many company's put cvs out signed on with hays but not much luck, even for a plumbing TA .not gonna give up may have to do some other work as perth is a fantastic place and theirs no way on earth I want to move back to the uk. Good luck on the move it's well worth giving it a go.

All the best

scott.

Hi Catriona, hopefully will find some thing soon. It seams to me that until I gain my licence 31st march there maybe better chances of me getting some work, don't get me wrong their is work out here but just be prepared to have funds to tie you over for a while untill you get work, there's not much work for a trade assistance in the plumbing game, I've even offered to work for free for a week just to gain some WA experience. And get my foot in the door and show them that I am a skilled plumber from the UK, even work on TA money for a while. At least it pays for a few things, anyway it is a great place to live, and if I did not try this in my life time I would regret it big time. I say go for it. Good luck

Hi Scott, thanks for the info. Like you we don't want to have any regrets and one thing I'm sure of is if we don't try, in a few years time we will be wishing we did. We are going to the 'Down under live' immigration event at the weekend.

How much does the training cost?

One thing we do have on our side is friends in perth who will let us stay with them until we find our feet. This will give us extra funds to start off. We have been advised to come out on the 190 visa. How did you get on with the English test? Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Catriona

Hi, I've just been to college today for a 1 day hands skill test which was $350 and I'm booked in for march 31st for two week mirgrant gap training which has gone through the roof with the price, it use to be $700 on a PR visa now it's just gone up to $2600 approx then a book you have to get for it at $ 550 then I think you have to pay for the licence. I'll let you know on that one. You can still fail these courses and just pay for the things you fail on.this only lets you work for someone with a full licence I think ? Then there's you'd gas, not sure how much this is. The only place doing this in perth now is challenger. My wife had to do the English test and she was fine, she is a English teacher. We are finding it a little hard with finding work at the moment, but have funds to get us through for a little while, I really love it here and would hate to go back to the UK. Best of luck to you both, if I can help with any other questions I will.

Regards scott.

• 1 month later...

Hi Catriona, yes things have moved forward, I have my plumbing licence, well should have it in the next few weeks as the college need to send my things off to PLB. I have found work with a company about 10 mins from me. It is a great place to live this weekend were camping in one of the national parks , the weather is still good. Hope things work out for you with you're visas good luck with it all.

Scott.

Hi Catriona, yes things have moved forward, I have my plumbing licence, well should have it in the next few weeks as the college need to send my things off to PLB. I have found work with a company about 10 mins from me. It is a great place to live this weekend were camping in one of the national parks , the weather is still good. Hope things work out for you with you're visas good luck with it all.

Scott.

Happy days

Glad it's working out for you :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Scott.

I am happy for you Scott for finally finding a job. Thank you for all the info. I am a plumber and thinking to migrate to Perth.

• 6 months later...
Hi Scott

We have finally plucked up the courage to start the visa process, excited & very nervous. Hope you are now further forward with gaining your licence or even better found work. I know it's not going to be easy but hopefully it will be worth it.

Thanks again for all you info

Hi catriona glad you got the courage to do it you just got to look at the big picture you have to jump through hoops as the other guy is when your hubby gets here he will have yo sit a day course that he prob did years ago then a migrant gap course when he has this he can only work for some nod that has a contractors licence until he sits his contractors courses business,water,sanity and drainage and it's hard work getting it I can tell you that especially when your working in the day and having to to the night classes. But you just got yo remember here it not what you know it's who you know as well and he needs to get is migrant course do first before any plumbing company's will even touch him Hope this helps if you require any mor info let me know and I am happy to help

Chris Waterboyz Plumbing & Gas