Medical Cover on 457 Visa

Peata Whyted

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would check something with you all. Our visas were granted with a condition attached that we have to hold private medical insurance. This is no issue, as we have budgeted for this, however, I want to set this up to come out of our Aus bank account once we were over there and I had my first paycheck etc. we have travel insurance to cover the journey out there and our initial few weeks etc.

I am under the impression that if I don't set the private medical insurance up before we leave the UK then we won't be stopped from entering the country. Is this correct? Should I get the insurance in place now while still in the UK?

Pete.

set it up before, you may have to pay one installment while in uk to start it off and then call on your arrival to confirm you are here and update addresses etc. You can payment taken out weekly, fortnightly monthly whatever. Thats how we did it. However we had to provide a letter from insurance company stating we had adequate insurance prior to our visa being issued.

If you speak with an australian provider they will help, they have done it all before! We use BUPA and they have been great, $103 per fortnight for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks Plimthing, same here. We provided our insurance details for the visa grant. I got quotes yesterday and the figures you mention stack up for us also.

You don't need to buy private medical insurance. Your travel insurance will cover you until you are able to register with medicare. This meets the conditions of the 457 & is what we did. Save your money as private health is very expensive on a 457. Hula won't tell you this though!!

You don't need to buy private medical insurance. Your travel insurance will cover you until you are able to register with medicare. This meets the conditions of the 457 & is what we did. Save your money as private health is very expensive on a 457. Hula won't tell you this though!!

I meant bupa!

Depending on how much you earn, private cover can be important for tax as you may have to pay the medicare levi otherwise.

Also, there can be very long waiting times for treatment via medicare (just like the NHS) but private gets around them.

Remember that ambulances are not free in WA - have an accident and you will be billed hundreds of dollars

Dental is VERY expensive in WA

On a 457 visa, BUPA are the best as they are the only one that does a visitors cover that exempts the medicare levy