What is actually covered ......

Guest Guest6235

Guest guest9824
I used the Iselect website VS listed as when we arrived as I was anxious that I needed to get at least ambulance cover sorted and really didnt (and still dont to a large extent) feel that I understood it! They were actually really helpful at talking through what I thought I wanted and what policies could cover it at prices that I was happy with. we are paying $160 a month for a family of 5 with hospitals and extras cover which I dont think is too bad, we will need to up the dental cover over time as there is every chance that at least one of the kids will need braces, but we can do that in time. We were also told that there is a 1 year wait on pre-existing conditions but after that time we will be able to claim, so we were happy with that. I think you have to work out what is right for you and your family as what works for 1 is not right for another, its a bit of a mine field (and not one that I am sure I have sucefully navigated yet!) but for me having something was important and then we can adjust it over time once we understand it better and know more what we will need.

Would definately recommend upping the dental care plan, the orthodontist can be really expensive, we have two children both have had or have braces, total cost was $15,000 for the two kids, we got quite a good chunk of that back with our policy, so it is worth it. Sounds like quite a good plan all in all.

Guest Guest6235

So Medicare - if you want to be seen for a problem you've been having could take a while to be actually seen.

- but if you collapse in the street / have a heart attack / Aneurysm / car crash etc you will be taken to hospital and be operated on for free ??

Private medical insurance - Allows you to be seen quicker for a follow on appointment after seeing the doctor like a referral (if you are admitted to hospital that would be free anyhow) ??

- covers you for dentist work / opticians / ambulance etc......dependent on level of cover

How much is a one off dentist appointment approx. for clean / polish

Edited by Guest6235

Keith, you are correct in your above statements. How long you wait depends on your condition and what is required. I think as someone mentioned previously, you do have the option of not disclosing that you have private health insurance and being treated solely in the public system. This can be advantageous in certain cases.

Most private insurance policies will actually allow one 'free' scale and clean every year. How much you would pay outside that depends on both the insurance policy and which dentist you choose to see.

Just to give you an idea on dental costs (and it will vary depending in where you go) I had a check up and scale and polish last month and the bill was $335 (thankfully all covered by my insurance), oldest child was the same cost, younger children (who didnt have xrays) were cheaper around $1-200 mark

So Medicare - if you want to be seen for a problem you've been having could take a while to be actually seen.

- but if you collapse in the street / have a heart attack / Aneurysm / car crash etc you will be taken to hospital and be operated on for free ??

Private medical insurance - Allows you to be seen quicker for a follow on appointment after seeing the doctor like a referral (if you are admitted to hospital that would be free anyhow) ??

- covers you for dentist work / opticians / ambulance etc......dependent on level of cover

How much is a one off dentist appointment approx. for clean / polish

Last year I needed to have a lump removed. I went private, I phoned the surgeons office and got an appointment for 5 days after. I saw the consultant surgeon who would be doing my operation. I was booked into the private hospital 5 days later.

I had an operation the year before, again the referral process was very quick, the day of the surgery was booked at the time of the consult, after the operation my consultant saw me 3 times a day,

Going private cuts down the wait time immensely, it also allows you to see the consultant at every consult, surgery times are often very quick as they have theatre time booked, few cancellations. I know someone who was referred for an endoscopy and the wait time was 8 months to be seen in the public system.

I agree with Ross on this. The system here is any many ways similar to the NHS in that it can have long waits for things.

Odies, although you wont get the advantage of the rebate being on a pension, the reality is that you (and i am not that far behind) are getting to an age where a bit more medical might be needed. So personally i would take it out.

For us too, it has more than paid off.

Just popped onto this forum and am wondering what is meant by "the advantage of the rebate being on a pension" VeryStormy. Is it something to do with the Medicare levy? I understand if income is above a certain level it has to be paid. Do you know if this applies to old codgers already on a pension? We are in a visa queue at the moment. Hope you can come up with an answer, thanks.

Just popped onto this forum and am wondering what is meant by "the advantage of the rebate being on a pension" VeryStormy. Is it something to do with the Medicare levy? I understand if income is above a certain level it has to be paid. Do you know if this applies to old codgers already on a pension? We are in a visa queue at the moment. Hope you can come up with an answer, thanks.

Not so much of the old codgers thanks!!!! Born again youngsters we are!!!

As a retiree with a part Centrelink/part private pension and also having top private medical insurance for many years, I receive a percentage of the premiums I pay as tax relief, paid directly to my insurance provider monthly. As my income is now well below the point at which I pay have to pay tax, I am not subject to the Medicare Levy.

If your income is above a certain level, you are required to pay the basic Medicare Levy at tax refund time every year. If your income is well above this rate and you do not have private medical insurance, your Medicare Levy rate is larger. The thinking behind this is to get you to take out private health insurance, and actually if you earn above the upper limit, you are better off doing so. Have a look at the following and be prepared to click and read for a while, but it covers it well.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/

Basically though if you come into Australia as a retiree you will be paying the full medical insurance premium and you will not qualify for any rebates, and if your income is above the limit and you have to pay tax, you will be paying the Medicare Levy. Remember that Medicare is not deducted from salary each payday but is paid once a year through the tax refund system.

It can all get a bit complicated, so I suggest googling and reading and if you still have any questions, come back and ask them and we will try to help.

Edited by Rossmoyne

Not so much of the old codgers thanks!!!! Born again youngsters we are!!!

As a retiree with a part Centrelink/part private pension and also having top private medical insurance for many years, I receive a percentage of the premiums I pay as tax relief, paid directly to my insurance provider monthly. As my income is now well below the point at which I pay have to pay tax, I am not subject to the Medicare Levy.

If your income is above a certain level, you are required to pay the basic Medicare Levy at tax refund time every year. If your income is well above this rate and you do not have private medical insurance, your Medicare Levy rate is larger. The thinking behind this is to get you to take out private health insurance, and actually if you earn above the upper limit, you are better off doing so. Have a look at the following and be prepared to click and read for a while, but it covers it well.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/

Basically though if you come into Australia as a retiree you will be paying the full medical insurance premium and you will not qualify for any rebates, and if your income is above the limit and you have to pay tax, you will be paying the Medicare Levy. Remember that Medicare is not deducted from salary each payday but is paid once a year through the tax refund system.

It can all get a bit complicated, so I suggest googling and reading and if you still have any questions, come back and ask them and we will try to help.

Wow, thank you Rossmoyne for this info, will have to bookmark it so that I can refer to it. Yes we will be coming out as retirees, so it would probably be better to take out private medical insurance. Not sure I understand what is meant by "full medical insurance". Need to read it thoroughly. Finding it all a bit of a minefield at the moment! Also, probably being a bit dim, it's this sunny weather we are experiencing at the moment in the UK!!