Scampi

kevlis

Is there a particular reason you want scampi? I ask because scampi tails are Langoustine, a mostly European crustacean. The stuff you buy breaded in the supermarket in the UK is often processed prawn and in some cases Monkfish with pink dye added. If you buy it here it's very unlikely to be Langoustine if produced locally and will have clocked up a massive number of air miles to get here if it is.

Have you tried bug tails? They're local and delish and while bigger there's nothing to stop you splitting them down the middle, egg wash and crumb and they'll fry in seconds and be amazing.

Who sells FRESH (not imported or frozen) bug tails & how much are they $$$$/kilo

What crumbs do I use??

Whereabouts are you?

Around here the obvious place would be Sealanes on Marine Terrace but there's also a great little fish shop on Carrington (I realise this might not help you if you're km's away). Any good fish shop and some supermarket fish counters will have them. They're easy as you like and pretty cheap.

They'll probably come still in the hard shell so all you do is place them on a board hard side down, put a towel on top then push down hard on the either edge of the tail to split the shell away from the softer underside. If this is too tough then you can split the underneath with scissors, just slip them between the flesh and the transparent shell. Tease the flesh out then cut them in half lengthways.

If you ask nicely a decent fishmonger will show you how and if you ask really nicely they might even do it for you.

Toss in a little flour then some beaten egg then finally breadcrumbs.

Try to get Panko breadcrumbs (any supermarket will have them).

Heat a pan of oil so that when you drop a piece of bread in it turns golden pretty quickly. Drop the crumbed tails in a few at a time. Not too many or it might boil over or they might stick. They'll fry in less than a minute so keep an eye on them and just as they turn golden drain them on some paper.

Sprinkle with S&P and dip into mayo with a squeeze of lemon. Unbelievable!

Alternatively, stick them in a soft bun with some decent slaw and lettuce for the best seafood sanger you've ever tasted.

• 4 months later...
Whereabouts are you?

Around here the obvious place would be Sealanes on Marine Terrace but there's also a great little fish shop on Carrington (I realise this might not help you if you're km's away). Any good fish shop and some supermarket fish counters will have them. They're easy as you like and pretty cheap.

They'll probably come still in the hard shell so all you do is place them on a board hard side down, put a towel on top then push down hard on the either edge of the tail to split the shell away from the softer underside. If this is too tough then you can split the underneath with scissors, just slip them between the flesh and the transparent shell. Tease the flesh out then cut them in half lengthways.

If you ask nicely a decent fishmonger will show you how and if you ask really nicely they might even do it for you.

Toss in a little flour then some beaten egg then finally breadcrumbs.

Try to get Panko breadcrumbs (any supermarket will have them).

Heat a pan of oil so that when you drop a piece of bread in it turns golden pretty quickly. Drop the crumbed tails in a few at a time. Not too many or it might boil over or they might stick. They'll fry in less than a minute so keep an eye on them and just as they turn golden drain them on some paper.

Sprinkle with S&P and dip into mayo with a squeeze of lemon. Unbelievable!

Alternatively, stick them in a soft bun with some decent slaw and lettuce for the best seafood sanger you've ever tasted.

Port ya git i wanna try bug tails now.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I can buy breadcrumbed Scampi in Perth??

Yes you can get Scampi from many places in Perth. Most don’t know but there are two Scampi trawlers working the north of Western Australia out deep off of Carnarvon. I have been trying to get people on board to supply it and also ask for it, and I have been enjoying it for some time now.

Ok first of all you won’t find breaded ready to cook as we do in the UK, but that's not a problem as it is easy to crumb them yourself. kailis sell them from there main depot in Caning Vail, I think the last price for No1’s (that's the largest size) was 3 Kg for $55 a box and sell smaller sizes as well. I have had several 3 kg boxes from http://www.larnersoystersupply.com.au/ but not seeing them on the website, but worth a call to them. Yes Woolworths was selling them in 800 Gram boxes for $34 per box and went out on special for $14, so I snapped them up at that price. But sadly they are no longer selling them, but must be available as Ocean Chef are the distributors and still selling them here http://oceanchef.com.au/products/all-other/raw-whole-scampi

Don’t settle for substituting Scampi for bugs, get the real thing and your taste buds will love you forever,

Here are some more suppliers links,

http://www.directseafoodsoconnor.com.au/products/

www.adriaticseafood.com.au/seafood.html