Spiders!

Cat

Weve been here 20 months now. We've got a large plot with lots of mature trees. How many poisonous spiders have I seen - None. As we've been renovating the house and gardens, so we've gone into all the corners, dug up beds etc.

We have seen one Huntsman and one Golden orb, both of which are large but not hazardous.

Hope that helps.

Nick

I had that same fear before we came out, that everytime I would walk into a dark room and switch on a light, there would be loads of them running everywhere, I even posted on here just before our validation trip asking the exact question you have.

I still check my bed every night and it still makes my hubby laugh, as we have never found anything other than normal little house spiders. We now have a daddy long legs spider by our downstairs cloakroom and I leave him to get on with his life.

I've seen one redback but that was in a friend's garden and she apologized profusely as she was getting her house sprayed the following week. We have more problems with the flies and sometimes can't eat outside because of them.

I'm sure if you were out at a wildlife park and physically went looking for them, you would come across them, but in normal day to day life they are not an issue. We went to Yanchep National Park and on the way out there were four huge, and I mean huge spiders in their webs on the booking desk, we had only been here about two weeks and it did scare me. When we went back a few weeks later, we stopped and looked properly and they were Orb spiders, who are beautiful and not scary at all, once you know what you are looking at.

I enjoy sitting there watching the little lizards go about their daily business and we even have a pair of cockroaches that play on the fence every night, well we did during the summer, I think it may have got too cold for them now.

I do think it would take me a little whole to adjust to Peanuts', friendly huntsman she has on her washing line, but she lives in the hills and I suppose they become part of daily life.

We see quite a few Black House Spiders;

http://www.avru.org/?q=general/general_blackhouse.html

We don't spray insecticide around the house at all and prefer to educate the kids about them. We have Redbacks in the garage and the usual places you find them but again, it's just about being cautious and sensible, a spider bite might be painful but there aren't many that will kill you.

Reaching for a can of chemicals makes me really uncomfortable and I'd rather educate my kids about the dangers so they don't grow up thinking the solution is in a spray can.

We've been here three years and none of us have been bitten, there's a huge Golden Orb Weaver on our ride to school and the kids are fascinated by it. It's been there in the street for the past six months and no one has felt the need to kill it.

Huntsmans are a great thing to have around the house as they love mozzies. Seeing one zip across your wall at lightning speed to catch a mozzie is amazing.

We are semi rural and have huntsman and orbs in the garden which we love and have named (Harry and Oddie) We also have a Falcon that lives in the eaves called Freddy.

We have had redback in the letter box - letter boxes in Perth are not in the front door, but are more like the American ones and are a stand alone thing. Ours is in the front gate. We also dont kill spiders. Maybe if we had a redback in the bedroom i might. But that would be unlikely.

I have been bitten by a white tail, but i worked in the Outback and was bitten there - painful, but not terrible.

People nervous of spiders can be a little freaked seeing a huntsman for the first time, but soon realise there fine. This is a huntsman http://australianmuseum.net.au/Huntsman-Spiders

Guest Guest6235
We've been here three and a half months.

We saw three baby huntsman in our first month - but we were living in the country at the time.

Since we moved to Ellenbrook I have seen one redback (outside) and one White tail (inside).

Honestly the mozzies are more of an issue than spiders!

It must be hard to educate very young children to stay away from these kind of spiders that can do damage when in the garden......

Any thoughts on the best way anybody?

We have been here just under a year had a few red backs in our rental in the garage . have seen one huntsman at work , and the first week we moved into our new house had a baby dugite stuck between the sliding doors and fly screen ....then he took a dip in the pool and I got him in the net and threw him over the fence onto the cleared land he must have come from. Haven't seen him since thank god! Nor mum or dad dugite :err: