Fiona Stanley

evie2007

Hi! I'm a midwife and I've had an interview with the FSH. They state its a pool position. Does this mean I would be offered a secure permanent position or is it like bank work? Id have reservations coming over with out a job offer from them. I have turned down their suggestion of 457 and would definitely go for 189.

Any advice?

Edited by evie2007

Hi! I'm a midwife and I've had an interview with the FSH. They state its a pool position. Does this mean I would be offered a secure permanent position or is it like bank work? Id have reservations coming over with out a job offer from them. I have turned down their suggestion of 457 and would definitely go for 189.

Any advice?

i believe it's exactly what wee dolly says, which means even if you have the 457 visa you won't be guaranteed an income. I would def get your pr visa sorted first then look for work afterwards, also you will need to register with ahpra (equivalent of NMC) good luck from a fellow m/w x

I dont know how they can give you a 457 doing that. I thought there was a minimum income on that visa?

That's right. They said they would sponsor me but I would need to work full time? Doesn't fit with non guaranteed shifts? I guess I'll have to see what they offer as they have applied for references. Just fine the term 'pool' a bit unnerving!

Thanks

That's right. They said they would sponsor me but I would need to work full time? Doesn't fit with non guaranteed shifts? I guess I'll have to see what they offer as they have applied for references. Just fine the term 'pool' a bit unnerving!

Thanks

Evie, don't assume! Give them a call and ask them what 'pooling' means. :smile:

A pool here means that people are interviewed and all successful candidates placed in the pool. Depending on if they rank candidates, you may find that you are successful to the pool but not the preferred candidate for the job. If the 1st ranked person doesn't take the job it's offered to the 2nd etc., If whilst you are in the pool a job becomes vacant they look at those successful candidates within the pool to fill the position, without having to re-advertise or interview. You need to check how long the pool lasts for - sometimes it's for 6 months.

The pool has nothing to do with bank work, or hours - it's just those people who were deemed suitable at interview for posts and would be offered them as they arise for a set period of time. Being successful to the pool, is not a job offer.

A pool here means that people are interviewed and all successful candidates placed in the pool. Depending on if they rank candidates, you may find that you are successful to the pool but not the preferred candidate for the job. If the 1st ranked person doesn't take the job it's offered to the 2nd etc., If whilst you are in the pool a job becomes vacant they look at those successful candidates within the pool to fill the position, without having to re-advertise or interview. You need to check how long the pool lasts for - sometimes it's for 6 months.

The pool has nothing to do with bank work, or hours - it's just those people who were deemed suitable at interview for posts and would be offered them as they arise for a set period of time. Being successful to the pool, is not a job offer.

Thats good, just shows you how different places use the term for different things though, so worth checking. So the op might get placed in a pool and have to hang on for months to get a job offer before she can actually get at 457?

The job that I landed was a 'pool' position, open for 6 months. I interviewed for it in October and wasn't successful at the time, but a few months later they emailed and asked if I was still moving and was I still interested because another position had become available, so here we are now, I start in a couple of weeks, no further interview required and they didn't re-advertise the position so no further competition for it!

Good luck evie2007!

Thats good, just shows you how different places use the term for different things though, so worth checking. So the op might get placed in a pool and have to hang on for months to get a job offer before she can actually get at 457?

Yes they could, but as FS is a new hospital there will probably be large numbers of staff wanted after they have redeployed staff who have identified a preference for working there if their posts at other hospitals are being fazed out.

The job that I landed was a 'pool' position, open for 6 months. I interviewed for it in October and wasn't successful at the time, but a few months later they emailed and asked if I was still moving and was I still interested because another position had become available, so here we are now, I start in a couple of weeks, no further interview required and they didn't re-advertise the position so no further competition for it!

Good luck evie2007!

That's how the pool works, if similar positions come up within the set period (6 months) you can be offered a post without further interview/application because you were deemed suitable (but not the successful applicant).

Thanks Ali,

I've been trying to get an explanation as clear as that for some time now

Lol ... I did type it very early this morning and wondered after if it would make any sense at all

Ahhhhh, all your posts make sense. They said they would draw from the pool until April time! I assume when they actually offer you the job its then a concrete offer. Watch this space!!

Thank u

Ahhhhh, all your posts make sense. They said they would draw from the pool until April time! I assume when they actually offer you the job its then a concrete offer. Watch this space!!

Thank u

Yes, successful to the pool is not a job offer (as a job might not come up), but if they say we have a vacancy and would like to offer you the post - that's the offer (you then get sent a contract). The pool is a good idea because it often covers 'similar posts' ... so you might apply for an RN post in one dept and be in the pool but another comes up and because of your experience you'd be deemed suitable ... no 2nd interview.

I was interviewed this morning for a recruitment pool, they asked me my preference for Rockingham, Perth General or Fiona Stanley and stated that no job is available yet but when a job does become available they would contact me If I match the criteria, hope this makes sense?

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from Aussie. Ive been successful and placed in a pool awaiting a job offer! Been told this is how it works. Not sure if I should start the visa process stuff or not tho!?! I've messaged them asking what I should expect next! I'm unsure how likely it now is to get a job offer? Pretty excited tho!

Heard from Aussie. Ive been successful and placed in a pool awaiting a job offer! Been told this is how it works. Not sure if I should start the visa process stuff or not tho!?! I've messaged them asking what I should expect next! I'm unsure how likely it now is to get a job offer? Pretty excited tho!

Congratulations! Well done :biggrin: