Count down to launch date

Akasully2

Rob, I have to ask this, and as it is me that is asking, you hopefully can't get told off by Porty. How have you set up your own Dome? I guess it is a franchise but how on earth do you afford to have your own one built? Is it funded by them or are you going solo? I always think of someone moving into an existing shop and doing it as a fit out. Please enlighten me....see this is what happens when you drink, the mind wanders!

ohh, just read this back and hope it doesn't offend. I hope you don't mind me asking. if you do, please blame it on the vodka! :wubclub:

Edited by Akasully2

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob, I have to ask this, and as it is me that is asking, you hopefully can't get told off by Porty. How have you set up your own Dome? I guess it is a franchise but how on earth do you afford to have your own one built? Is it funded by them or are you going solo? I always think of someone moving into an existing shop and doing it as a fit out. Please enlighten me....see this is what happens when you drink, the mind wanders!

That's the problem with Smirnoff Blue Sully it's naughty stuff you know. Will send you a PM (tomorrow now cos I'm off to bed) nite nite.

Well and truly in the midst on our drinking session in the garden. I have discovered/created a new drink that is delicious. Proper old fashioned cloudy ginger beer and vodka. Ohhh, wasn't that called a Smirnoff Mule, years ago? Anyway, this one really tastes of strong, warming ginger. Very refreshing. The only reason we bought ginger beer today was because the kids had read about it in an Enid Blyton book and asked if they could try it. Found some in Coles, Brandaberg (or something like that) 4 small bottles for around $4. I guessed they wouldn't like it and true to form, I was right. Not going to waste it so having it now with blue label Smirnoff, mmmmm! Accompanied by a cheeky little bowl of Bombay mix to keep the heat flowing. Delicious! Chin, chin.

Enjoy x

Have wondered the same thing, guess I'll never know... :-(

:wink:

ohh, just read this back and hope it doesn't offend. I hope you don't mind me asking. if you do, please blame it on the vodka! :wubclub:

we all want to know!!!

Blimey it is heartening to see that PP members are taking a real interest in Dome Butler; it has taken a long time to get to the stage we are at now. We left the UK nine months ago arriving in Perth September 2013 but had been in contact with Dome for nearly a year prior to this. Having had a number of interviews both over the phone and then face-to-face I was finally granted the franchise 'licence'. The Butler site was already in the pipeline with just the Development Application pending. The site was offered to me and I jumped at the chance and the DA grant soon followed. The actual building is being constructed by a local developer which should hopefully be completed within the next few weeks. Dome contractors then undertake the internal corporate fit-out once the building has been signed off and handed over, this should take an additional 10 - 12 weeks at which point the cafe should be ready to open.

Rachel (my wife) and Ellis my eldest daughter along with myself are currently involved with a three month training schedule whereby we are taught the Dome system of operating such a cafe; I have no previous experience in hospitality whatsoever lol. Once the training has been completed we then begin the recruitment process. This involves the sourcing of up to 50 members of staff both full and part-time along with an element of casuals. So much to do such little time as the saying goes.

I hope this has enlightened folk a little regarding the forthcoming cafe, as you would imagine however the detail has been condensed somewhat so as not to bore you guys too much.

I took this picture tonight to give you an idea of its position.

Thanks, Rob

image.jpg

Guest Guest6235
Blimey it is heartening to see that PP members are taking a real interest in Dome Butler; it has taken a long time to get to the stage we are at now. We left the UK nine months ago arriving in Perth September 2013 but had been in contact with Dome for nearly a year prior to this. Having had a number of interviews both over the phone and then face-to-face I was finally granted the franchise 'licence'. The Butler site was already in the pipeline with just the Development Application pending. The site was offered to me and I jumped at the chance and the DA grant soon followed. The actual building is being constructed by a local developer which should hopefully be completed within the next few weeks. Dome contractors then undertake the internal corporate fit-out once the building has been signed off and handed over, this should take an additional 10 - 12 weeks at which point the cafe should be ready to open.

Rachel (my wife) and Ellis my eldest daughter along with myself are currently involved with a three month training schedule whereby we are taught the Dome system of operating such a cafe; I have no previous experience in hospitality whatsoever lol. Once the training has been completed we then begin the recruitment process. This involves the sourcing of up to 50 members of staff both full and part-time along with an element of casuals. So much to do such little time as the saying goes.

I hope this has enlightened folk a little regarding the forthcoming cafe, as you would imagine however the detail has been condensed somewhat so as not to bore you guys too much.

Thanks, Rob

What qualities were they after Rob during the interview, as you say you had no previous experience. I'm guessing it's a totally different experience to anything you did back in the UK? Cheers

What qualities were they after Rob during the interview, as you say you had no previous experience. I'm guessing it's a totally different experience to anything you did back in the UK? Cheers

Looking at myself Keefo I'm not too sure what qualities they were after lol. I sold office furniture back in the UK so this is a totally new experience for all of us. We emigrated for a different way of life right from a new country to a working environment. This is going to be an opportunity for me to work with not only my wife but my eldest daughter as well. I was of the opinion that if I was going to change my life this radically then I may as well go for it big time.

Guest Guest6235
Looking at myself Keefo I'm not too sure what qualities they were after lol. I sold office furniture back in the UK so this is a totally new experience for all of us. We emigrated for a different way of life right from a new country to a working environment. This is going to be an opportunity for me to work with not only my wife but my eldest daughter as well. I was of the opinion that if I was going to change my life this radically then I may as well go for it big time.

It sounds really good, it will be great working with people that you actually want to work with through choice.

It's also good that you've been given the opportunity as I'm guessing it wasn't on any skilled shortage list. As owners of this particular franchise do you take your earnings and just pay a regular sum to the overall owners. Not sure how else to put it.

Edited by Guest6235

The cafe will operate as per any regular business and just as you would expect Keefo. The main exception to remember here is that when operating any franchise there are royalties that must be paid to the franchisor. These royalties are usually calculated as a percentage of the turnover.

Good on you Rob, sounds like its quite a long process and will be hard going so good luck. Working with your missus will be different too, my hubby and I have worked together in our own catering business for the last 4 years and I'm hoping I DON'T have to work with him again! (for a while anyway)

Guest Guest6235
Good on you Rob, sounds like its quite a long process and will be hard going so good luck. Working with your missus will be different too, my hubby and I have worked together in our own catering business for the last 4 years and I'm hoping I DON'T have to work with him again! (for a while anyway)

I'm sure you don't mean that Nikki ....about working with hubby!

Hi Rob, thanks for taking the time to explain it. I know it started as a vodka induced inquiry but it certainly generated a lot of interest. You can probably tell what I'm like at a party, I ask a lot of questions and talk the hind legs off donkey! Really pleased for you for being brave to try something so different. Good to know they give you all that training, daunting otherwise.

much as I love him I agree Nikki xx my hubby not yours.

good on you Rob, it will work and be great, esp. with me washing your dishes !!

Thanks, Rob

super spot Rob, overlooking the lake and all those mums when they have been the park, can not go wrong ! I think the cafe on the other corner may as well close they have had 4 owners now

any jobs going for me rob? I should be landing mid july!:jiggy:

I havnt booked the flights yet as I want to make sure the house sale goes to through however I have purchased Robbie Williams tickets tonight for Perth arena on Friday 12th September

Edited by stu4668
addition

any jobs going for me rob? I should be landing mid july!:jiggy:

I havnt booked the flights yet as I want to make sure the house sale goes to through however I have purchased Robbie Williams tickets tonight for Perth arena on Friday 12th September

Like it Stu, you buy concert tickets before airline tickets lol. Yes it would be great if the cafe could be staffed by PP members eh.....

It's a great story Rob, I think you'll command an army of loyal PP followers after all this. Just remember, when you're counting the takings, glancing at your name at the top of the Dome's top performers chart you might just want to consider becoming a PP sponsor or securing a banner ad so that others may be able to use the site.

Well done to you mate, yours is the only Dome I'll ever visit and I'm looking forward to it.