Mrs T

Gas Fitter / Trades Assistant

Fortunately for me I dont need to do any assessments, infact I've seen that IELTS thing about on the website but haven't a clue what it is?

Funnily enough my wife is from Perth and our little one is now a citizen through decent, so basically they could go 2morro and I'd be left here waiting on the visa, thankfully I'm past my 7month period so only 2 months left to wait.

But having said that we have said we will leave around September anyway.

Good luck to you and your family and you have the bonus of a live in tour guide ha , we hope to be getting over around that time before the school term stars here but with the IELTS hickup it's getting harder to achive!

Hi Keith / Steven

it's Neill Natasha's husband how did you find out about the training courses at polytechnic ? Do you have a contact email address for them ? As I would like to know what is going to happen with the courses before I go over possibly even book it if I can. I am not to fussed about having to do a bit of training again it can't be any worse then the ACS over here surely lol just sat my ACS again last year and my LPG and went though that no probs so fingers crossed I am not really too fussed just yet about doing plumbing just Gas for now so how much is that roughly if you know and what does that allow you to do ? Service and repair ? Sorry for all the questions but my head is pickled with All this lol

Hi Neil,

The gas across there is split into 2 parts, 1st part is (restricted g class) and (unrestricted g class)

Restricted lets you install only and unrestricted lets you service and repair.

You can google MPA skills and they have a contact page you can ask about course etc and training, they are pretty good at responding quickly and from what I've heard are a decent training organisation, Challanger Tafe have had poor reviews from people on this site, and to be fair the communication I've had via emails and even stayed up till 1am to phone was poor, I also visited the campus last year when I was over and even then that was poor.

Thanks Steven

i really need need to get my finger out lol will have a wee look on the now and send a wee email to them I think we would defo need both parts tho installation and service / repair ???? ! To have a chance of getting a job we could always start our own business together over there ha ha ha !!! So do you work with the gas board as well then ? I think Natasha told me that. I am a S&R engineer in Glasgow Got 1 day of work left on Thursday b4 I hang up my U gauge lol can't wait :)

Neil,

Yes I'm a Edinburgh & Borders S&R engineer,

I got a big shock when I went over and found out how they run the regs across there, like I told your wife, in the UK we can do nearly everything as gas engineers and infact I'd go as far to say we are Gas Plumbers, so if we had to convert a gravity fed system to mains pressured sealed system combi all is fine we can do it all.

Across there you can install the water heater to the gas but you can't connect the water pipes to it. That when you need to be a qualified plumber! Ludicrous if you ask me, but rules are rules, also most work has to be signed off.

However not to be doom and gloom if you are willing to start again and learn the ropes you will go far and dreams will become a reality.

I went out with a gas fitter across there and its not to much different, hard soldering, no compression allowed at all on gas apart from the connection to the meter,

Space heaters are mostly portable and they only use 1 sized vent for combustion air and fly screens are allowed.

The gas fitter I went out with said best advise, forget what regs/and how we work and never say we dont do that back home as you'll be told to piss off back home ha ha

Stevens spot on with his advice, I researched the reviews and polytechnic have a really good rep! I emailed them direct and had loads of info sent back by the next day, the gas fitting cert 3 consists of 36 units and can be cross referenced from our ccn1 etc, so you can polish off around 22 of the units with your quailes. Ill pm you my contacts email address and Steven just in case it helps you to mate?

Hey Steven

We can't fit water pipes at all !! wow that's madness totally different to here we really get everything to do here Electrics,Gas and Water but I am quite looking forward to a total change. I really don't mind starting again and going back to college so that doesn't bother me just want to get in some where and get my head down and stuck in show them what I can do. How did you manage to get out with a gas fitter over there ? That would be good experience while your doing your training and getting to see it hands on out on the patch and not just in a training centre. So where did you do your training then for Scottish Gas was it Queenslie in Glasgow ? That's where I done mine had a few boys from out your way in at the same time as me do you know a guy called Ged Graham ? He was in my class he was mad but a good laugh I still speak to him from time to time nice guy.

Just emailed one of those training centres there so see if they get back to me :)

Keith

that would be a great help sounds good if we can wipe 22 units off of the 36 right away :) I will add you both and DM my email address to both of you as well once I am there I can keep in touch and keep yous posted with my pursuit of a gas fitters job lol

Ha ha ha

Yeah I know Gedric infact I live in the same town as him,

1 of my mates uncle works out there so I went out with him,

Installed a hob and direct fired water cylinder, all easy work really, very similar work styles apart from when u install a gas hob u need to install a mini regulator before the iso valve, god knows why.

They work in pascals and Kpascals.

Yeah I done my training at queenslie in 2003 I think.

Lol small world eh Ged was in my class we had Brian Jones as our teacher in 2003 as well who was yours? We had fun in the training centre but it was out to the big bad world after that lol now it's selling hives and spiros everyday nightmare won't miss that at all !! Think once I get there it will be an eye opener by the sounds of it but if that's the way it is we will just need to forget everything we know and learn there way of doing stuff even if it is a bit mad !

Yeah I had Brian Jones aswell. Must have been training different months, well I started December 2002 but started training 5 jan 2003,

A little eye opener but my opinion is its far easier than what we are doing now.

I do LD work now and attics under floor will defo not be missed,

Magnaboosters are only good for my scrap bag! Ha ha

I'm sure you'll find your feet and crack on with the training when u r over there.

Yeah I started in the training centre in March must have just been diff weeks then if you had him aswell ? He was a muppet lol

Thats good old you thought it was easier over there and not having to sell stuff everyday will be a bonus but I will miss the Qdos ££

sure we will all find our feet over there with a bit of hard work anything is possible and if not there is always bar work lol

well keep in touch guys speak soon

Good luck with the visas and the a IELTS test (Keith I feel your pain it's a nightmare)

Good luck to you all as you all know its not rocket science and if you know your stuff in the UK you will have no probs the hot water units are glorified main mersea,s not a pcb in sight gas pressures are kpa but 2 kpa=20mbar so simple pipesizing is simple ventilation as well.The 2 main operating pressures are 1.25 or 2.75 kpa but all working pressures are 1.13 kpa no combi,s here just hot water units and nearly all outside and as was said you need aplumbing licence to install the hot and cold pipework and a gas llicence to connect the gas out here every gas job when completed you have to complete a NOC notice of completion form which is sent to Energy Safety who are the governing body.Your first five gas installs are checked by atco gas australia,s version of British gas and if successful you become a registered gas fitter after that they check 7% of your work.You can only insall appliances on this licence to service IE change a thermocouple you need your servicing licence which for me was 6 weeks of four nights at college.Sounds alot but as i said if you know your stuff you will have no problems good luck and after all the hoops and highs and lows it is WELL WORTH IT.

Thanks Mark

defo hard work ahead but it will be worth it like you say :) no doubt once I arrive I will be asking all these questions over again head is pickled lol ! !!! Are you in a job now then ???

Yeah thanks Mark, especially with the end part of being worth all the hard work. Will make us feel at ease.

Neil got your email addy will email you later to trade emails.

Keith,

I've been in contact with Wayne over the last few months, he seems to be really switched on and very informative.

Glad you have been in contact with Wayne he's given me loads of advice and put me at ease with the info from him, his emails can be pages long,which is what we want. Neil did you get any further on? Not long now till you be out there getting your licence.

Hi Keith

Just emailed him once i got in from work on my last day i might add lol no more Scottish / British Gas madness as of 2day i am unemployed for the 1st time since i left school !!!!!! i sent him all the UK qualifications i have as well so he can have a look. I really want to get something booked up so i know whats going on for me getting there. I honestly cant wait got 18 days left now it will fly by got a few boiler changes to do next week so that will keep me occupied then my friend has his own plumbing company so i will do bits and bobs for him to keep me busy till i go and it gives me some more ££££££ to pay for all these courses lol

I will let you know how i get on guys once he gets back to me :biggrin:

Hi Keith

Just emailed him once i got in from work on my last day i might add lol no more Scottish / British Gas madness as of 2day i am unemployed for the 1st time since i left school !!!!!! i sent him all the UK qualifications i have as well so he can have a look. I really want to get something booked up so i know whats going on for me getting there. I honestly cant wait got 18 days left now it will fly by got a few boiler changes to do next week so that will keep me occupied then my friend has his own plumbing company so i will do bits and bobs for him to keep me busy till i go and it gives me some more ££££££ to pay for all these courses lol

I will let you know how i get on guys once he gets back to me :biggrin:

Hi

hope you don't mind me adding to your post.

Hubby is a gas plumber and been looking at courses for months now. Spoke to Wayne too and advised he isn't offering migrant gap training so just MPA and challenger.

Has anyone done the course recently and if so who with? Just wanted some advise on who to do migrant gap training course with? We move end of June so been advised to enroll with the colleges.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I've seen more good reports for MPA Skills than Challenger,

Although the courses run at set times so you may wait a month or 2 to get the course, plus around $2500 - $3000 for the course

I've seen more good reports for MPA Skills than Challenger,

Although the courses run at set times so you may wait a month or 2 to get the course, plus around $2500 - $3000 for the course

Thanks for comment steven_gers. Are u a plumber? Have you lots of work at the moment and r u busy?

I think MPA seem to be more organised. They do different course sections from what a plumbers wife can tell roof plumber sections with challenger and other bits with MPA. Just wanted someone who had recently done the course to get some feedback.

Thanks for comment steven_gers. Are u a plumber? Have you lots of work at the moment and r u busy?

I think MPA seem to be more organised. They do different course sections from what a plumbers wife can tell roof plumber sections with challenger and other bits with MPA. Just wanted someone who had recently done the course to get some feedback.

I've not done the courses yet,

but a couple of guys who use this site have done the courses, and have said MPA is the better choice. not sure on price ranges etc but from what I've hearf MPA seem to care more about us "poms" than challenger do. But again thats someones own experience your partner might have a brilliant experience with them?

There seems to be alot of work, but Oz is who you know and not really what you know.

if your partner knows his plumbing/gas fitting/servicing/repair stuff then he'll do just fine.

the gas and plumbing are 2 different courses over in Oz, 1 for plumbing and then 1 for gas installation, then if you want to service and repair gas appliances you need to do another course. not ideal really but thats the Oz way.

Just had some good news TRA came back yesterday as approved ,so once I get the dreaded IELTS out the way we can get are EOI in, I've been on seek looking at labourer jobs to fill in the void while completing night school - gap training when I arrive and the pay is not to bad $30 per hour so it can hopefully put you guys at ease and give you some ideas that its not do or die the minute you land if your not to afraid of a bit of hard work the money can still come in!

Just had some good news TRA came back yesterday as approved ,so once I get the dreaded IELTS out the way we can get are EOI in, I've been on seek looking at labourer jobs to fill in the void while completing night school - gap training when I arrive and the pay is not to bad $30 per hour so it can hopefully put you guys at ease and give you some ideas that its not do or die the minute you land if your not to afraid of a bit of hard work the money can still come in!

when are you looking to get out there Keith?

we have put it back to November just so we have a little extra cash,

I have been looking at Seek for nearly 2years and the amount of plumbing/gas fitting roles have never been low. always at least 15 positions. would seem plenty of work when we get sorted out from the "red tape" areas.