Mrs T

Gas Fitter / Trades Assistant

We're hoping to get out there for September fingers crossed! We have sold the house and have everything in place to go, Ive seen lots of adverts to but till we can get our licences to get the work I'm going to take anything I can find to keep the cash flowing some guys on here say it can take 3-4 months to get a start my wife has family out there who say they can get me a start with a gas/plumbing firm but you never know! At least there is a plan B to get on your feet and gain the qualifications to get on the big bucks and get a jet ski haha!

We're hoping to get out there for September fingers crossed! We have sold the house and have everything in place to go, Ive seen lots of adverts to but till we can get our licences to get the work I'm going to take anything I can find to keep the cash flowing some guys on here say it can take 3-4 months to get a start my wife has family out there who say they can get me a start with a gas/plumbing firm but you never know! At least there is a plan B to get on your feet and gain the qualifications to get on the big bucks and get a jet ski haha!

A jetski?

I'm your new best friend! hahaha.

yeah I wasnt too confident last year about chances with employment but after going out with someone last year as long as you know your stuff and can bend pipe and dont take short cuts etc you'll make it in Oz, infact there are guys who have went across and been promoted within months in company's due to being so much better than what's already out there!

Having family out there too I shouldn't be stuck for work either so I feel so much better about going, also the other half has secured work already so maybe I can just retire ha ha.

If only hey we can all dream haha! It's good to know they appreciate good lads as there doesn't seem much room for promotion in the u.k especially if your good on the tools as you can be more of an asset on site, your lucky to have the OH with a job lined up congratulations! How long did you stay out with a engineer last time you were out? It seems they fall behind a little when it comes to are game out there? Have you got an area of perth on mind were looking at Mandurah and surrounding areas?

If only hey we can all dream haha! It's good to know they appreciate good lads as there doesn't seem much room for promotion in the u.k especially if your good on the tools as you can be more of an asset on site, your lucky to have the OH with a job lined up congratulations! How long did you stay out with a engineer last time you were out? It seems they fall behind a little when it comes to are game out there? Have you got an area of perth on mind were looking at Mandurah and surrounding areas?

My wife works for an Oz company here so its like a internal transfer so it makes life a little easier knowing she'll earn money when we are there.

But I will go stir crazy if I'm not working. like today my van is in the garage and most people would love being off, but wife is at work my son is at nursery and I'm bored! I should be at work! sad I know but if I haven't go something to do then im bored its brill when my wife and son are home as I'm spending quality time with them, so I'll do anything when I'm over there just to be out and about.

yeah tell me about promotions! If you are a liability on the tools and apply for a promotion you get it! If you are brill on the tools and know ur stuff forget promotions.

Ellenbrook for us, as the wifes best friend stays out there, or forrestfield as the mother in law stays there.

I went out with a gas fitter for a day just seeing what its all about, and he was putting in hobs, direct fired cylinders etc,

all I can say is, its that easy its like taking a greenstar junior off the wall, putting it in the bin, taking another greenstar junior out the box and putting in back on the wall.

you could easily do 5 cylinder changes a day across there as its 3 pipes gas, cold in, hot out, and prv term.

installing the hob easy enough much the same as here. although you have to install a mini gas regulator on the pipework before the hob. cant remember why though even though they have a meter governor. gas meters exact same as the uk. no real difference just readings in Kp's.

the guy I went out with was S/emp and by 1pm he had earned $500 and only used 2 lengths of pipe. and he said he didnt earn that much? ha ha ha.

so the light is defo bright at the end of the training tunnel!

I know what you mean it's this country, even on the hottest summers day you will be sitting on damp grass or queuing all day for ice cream because everyone has the same idea, the family means everything to me too I've got a 4 year old girl who's in school and then by the time I knock off she's ready for bed its no life!

$500 for a cylinder swop and a hob sounds good to me haha, funny that they regulate the pressure at the hob with a govener at the meter must have been a major catastrophe were the gov failed while someone was cooking and set the kitchen up! Or do the hobs run on a lower pressure to the other appliances??

At those margins will have a jet ski and a boat haha!

I know what you mean it's this country, even on the hottest summers day you will be sitting on damp grass or queuing all day for ice cream because everyone has the same idea, the family means everything to me too I've got a 4 year old girl who's in school and then by the time I knock off she's ready for bed its no life!

$500 for a cylinder swop and a hob sounds good to me haha, funny that they regulate the pressure at the hob with a govener at the meter must have been a major catastrophe were the gov failed while someone was cooking and set the kitchen up! Or do the hobs run on a lower pressure to the other appliances??

At those margins will have a jet ski and a boat haha!

Generally the pressure to the MCV is lower than the UK. its really low gas pressure I was made to believe, but maybe there thinking behind the hob is since the hobs are not regulated other than a gas tap, then if the meter reg does fail at least its a 2ndary regulator controlling the hob, as for the cylinders it just looked like a multifunctional gas valve on it so again has its own regulator there. also the house was piped in 15mm equivalent from just below the meter, so I'm guessing the cylinders don't draw much gas.

$500 he did go round to 4 jobs in that time. but he only installed 1 cylinder and 2 hobs. there rest was turn on and test.

That's the thing to look forward to the different regulations will open your mind again once you know your stuff here it gets a bit same old same old ill be boring the mrs to bits when I Finnish work in oz with all the new stuff you'll be learning each day will be different instead of the usual Worcesters, Valliants and Ideals and so on! Have you thought much about what tools your going to take over?

I'm taking the lot, apart from benders,

The guy I went out with basically had a bucket, with a mini set of 15mm benders 2 a set of adjustables and grips, u gauge, but he only does installation.

I've treated myself to sum new dewalt drills but I'm going to clean up as much as possible as I've heard a 15mm pipe slice can cost $40!! There will be enough new things to get without worrieng about tools, it's good that you've had that insight into what to expect once your out there.

Ive tried looking on line at some of there direct cylinders and they seemed prity basic so not much to worry about there hey! Roll on a sunny Christmas for us both then hey!

I thought about treating myself to new drills, expanders and flaring tools but I was gonna buy them off a Oz website and get them delivered to my Mother in-laws.

But not sure yet.

If you haven't got expanders you'll need them along with a flaring tool. They can be expensive though.

Hi guys just a bit of info on WA gas.The gas over here run on different supply pressures depending on where you live.The new suburbs are all high pressure typically 150kpa then the older suburbs are 45kpa and in Perth 7kpa.If you live in the newer suburbs you can upgrade your household pressure from the typical 1.25kpa to 2.75kpa with a simple regulator change on the meter.This allows for you to run larger appliances on the same pipework.The storage water heaters you described run on 47mj which is why they mostly run on 15mm.The continuous flow h/w units can be over 200mj and on a 7kpa supply depending how far they are from the meter can have 32 or40mm gas runs.The reason why the regulators are fitted on all appliances is to take the possible two pressures of 1.25 or 2.75kpa and deliver a working pressure of1.13kpa which is the set pressure for all appliances.

Thanks for shedding some light on those regulators had me thinking why the would put one on the hob, I take it the new properties have a bigger gas main compared to the older properties, this is some of the reasons why I can't wait to get started as its all different and can blow the cob webs off the brain! Maybe we have something similar here with a medium pressure meter but there only on a few housing developments in the country, how much of your U.K tools came into good use out there? I'm trying to build up some new tools to take and Steven has recommended expanders and flairing tools can you recommended any good brands and the most popular sizes used, also what else would be good to bring over, cheers Mark

Hi there, probably a long shot but is your husband looking for work in the Plumbing and Gas Fitting field here in Perth, we currently have an urgent opening! We do maintenance through to renovations, large variety of work with possible sponsorship for the right person if you wish to stay.

Kind regards

Renata