Criminal convictions

<Dan>

Not really a migration issue as we're all done and ready to leave.

My wife has a small criminal conviction from around 20 years ago for handling stolen goods with no punishment other than a fine.

When we went the first time to Perth, she didn't declare it, all was fine. When we went the second time, she ticked the box and got questioned at the desk for around 10 minutes.

My question, when we go in November, does she need to tick it again, or does it just mean new convictions? I know she really didn't want to tick it last time especially with the embarrassment etc.

I think I know the answer, but thought i'd ask anyway.

Sorry to be nosey but if she didn't tick the yes box what would happen x

normally you get detained for questioning and if found that its deliberate attempt to cover you're past you get handed over to the Abo's to be sacrificed, it's a bit like a thank you for letting us use their land etc.

Cocolevi

Only joking,

Sometime you get through immigration no problem, other times they will stop and question you, at that point be truthful as if you are found to be telling fibs you will most likely be on the 1st plane back to where you came from.

Honestly is the best policy, mistakes are made filling in forms, people are tired and not thinking straight etc.

I always think at oz customs they know from previous times and have it logged . I always tick the bit about drugs and they answer me with they are prescription arn't they , I always used to say chocolate and tea bags etc and they nodded ok afetr 10 times i think they are just checking I am still that mad woman who keeps coming with the same things. So I would always put yes.

normally you get detained for questioning and if found that its deliberate attempt to cover you're past you get handed over to the Abo's to be sacrificed, it's a bit like a thank you for letting us use their land etc.

Ha ha I thought you were going to put thrown to the crocs

Better to be honest saves a lot of heart ache :)

Also ( sorry I'm inquisitive ) did it come up on the police checks that this had happened to your wife

Edited by cocolevi

Ha ha I thought you were going to put thrown to the crocs

Better to be honest saves a lot of heart ache :)

Also ( sorry I'm inquisitive ) did it come up on the police checks that this had happened to your wife

She obviously knew about it although was very ashamed despite not being her fault as such. But yeah when we got the Police Checks for the visa is came up and they went through it and we happy with it. It really was our only worrying point as we didn't know and after watching Nothing To Declare....

I declared drugs, food and plant (I had seasoning and wasn't sure what was in it so I ticked yes to plants). When I went through customs and handed them my card they just asked me what food and plants I thought I had and what type of drugs. I said prescription drugs and she just opened the gate and let me through. They didn't look in my bags. Was expecting a frisk and a TV camera. Disappointing really lol

I declared drugs, food and plant (I had seasoning and wasn't sure what was in it so I ticked yes to plants). When I went through customs and handed them my card they just asked me what food and plants I thought I had and what type of drugs. I said prescription drugs and she just opened the gate and let me through. They didn't look in my bags. Was expecting a frisk and a TV camera. Disappointing really lol

Maybe thats all put on for tv? what do you think?

I guess they do stuff like that but probably only from high risk countries I guess?

• 2 years later...

Hi guys sorry to jump on this post but I hope someone can help me.

Me and the hubby are lookimg at moving over to Perth in a years time.

However he has criminal convictions

D and D x2. Newest one is 3 years old

battery about 20 years old and

possesion only canabis the same about 20 years old

we have been over twice but has anyone had any similar convictions and what drama would we have getting in.

Also who is best to apply for the visa and who is best to be the "partner visa"?

many thanks

charmaine

we have been over twice but has anyone had any similar convictions and what drama would we have getting in.

Also who is best to apply for the visa and who is best to be the "partner visa"?

many thanks

charmaine

I guess a couple of issues - if you're applying for a 'partner' visa then whoever is not Australian in your relationship applies for the partner visa. If neither of you are Australian - then it isn't a partner visa you'd be applying for, in that case you would look at the skills lists and see which of your jobs are on the lists and then apply for the skills assessment.

Regarding the offences - were these declared on the landing card on your previous visits? If not then that failure to declare may be more of a hassle than the convictions themselves. When you submit your application with the police checks, it may be wise to also submit an explanation as to why they weren't declared previously and also explaining the circumstances around the offences and possibly submitting some character references. The newest one is relatively recent

many thanks

charmaine

I traveled to australia several times and always ticked no for previous convictions, and when I applied for my spouse visa they asked for details on all convictions and explanation what happened and what U had learned from this instances etc, this is the point the visa can easily be refused and being an unfit applicant, so be sure to be honest in your explanation and take responsibility for your actions,

I suspect they will be concerned at at the DDrive that has happened twice and it only being a couple of years ago,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

many thanks

charmaine

Pit shouldn't be an issue as normally it is only there are convictions with a total of 12 months imprisonment. Though this includes suspended sentences.

What are your occupations?

Always declare anything when applying for visas as they are now VERY HOT on enforcing Public Interest Criteria 4020 which relates to providing misleading information to gain a visa. If you are caught you will be refused. Honesty is always the best policy and as verystormy says unless the main concern is a 12 month custodial sentence