3rd IELTS today, fingers crossed for my hubby!!!

Keith

awwww, keep doing the past papers with him. its horrible. so bad that we need to do these tests, when like you say, its nothing to do with his ability to work.

I know it's so frustrating and it really destroys his confidence, hopefully when he comes in it will lift his spirits reading the well wishes on here. X

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we got the results this morning, unfortunately we didn't get the marks needed L -7.5 R - 6.0 W - 7.0 S - 8.5 Keith is gutted he is not in from work yet but I feel so bad for him it is soul destroying going through all this especially as it has nothing to do with his capability for work or anything. He is doing another on 19th so hopefully better luck next time but thanks everyone for the well wishes and I know many of you have been through all this too :sad:

I'm gutted to read this and know exactly how you're feeling right now. It's so frustrating!!! You WILL get there, just keep on practising. It's good that you've got another one booked in to keep the momentum going. Give Keith a hug from us and try and have a good weekend xxxx

Woke up still gutted from yesterday, can't believe this IELTS test it's getting me down keep getting a 6 on the reading but achive more than the score I need on everything else, it's annoying that we are ready to go but this is keeping us here, got another test booked for the 19th of this month so more waiting to do! Thanks to everyone for the well wishes!

Guest Guest6235

This is you posting today then, you were the 3rd person yesterday haha.

All the best for the next one, will that be your 4th time? How much do the IELTS cost each time?

Have you given up on the idea of NZ?

When you think of some of the people who will already be in oz who probably won't have as much as you would be something that would p*ss me off also. On the other hand, England should have something more stringent to allow people in.

Woke up still gutted from yesterday, can't believe this IELTS test it's getting me down keep getting a 6 on the reading but achive more than the score I need on everything else, it's annoying that we are ready to go but this is keeping us here, got another test booked for the 19th of this month so more waiting to do! Thanks to everyone for the well wishes!

I know how you feel. The IELTS nearly ended our Oz dream for us. In the end we got the points we needed with a Migration Points Assessment from the TRA. The migration agent we were about to use told us we wouldn't get it but we did. Sheer determination (and maybe a bit if luck) will get you there in the end. Almost exactly a year ago it was looking very bleak, but today we're literally counting down the days. I read something recently about a different English assessment being available to applicants. I didn't read it thoroughly so I don't know when this is happening but it might be worth looking into? I wish you the very best of luck for the next one, and the rest of your journey. Please keep us posted cos we're all rooting for you!

That's my mrs ha, the tests are 145 each time so not far off spend a grand which gets me down thinking about it, Nz will be plan b as there is still the jobs but my mrs not that keen, I can understand your hubby not wanting to do another test , I've said to mrs 5 times and were going Nz!

Thanks sideshowdeb I've just found the link, it's called a TOEFL test it seems cheaper as well, I'll let my agent know and see what they say, it's looking like are dream could soon be over but this could be a new hope for us!

The dream is only over if you give up Keith? Don't give up its just a hurdle. You will clear it. You are just feeling low it'll pass and you'll get your confidence back.

keep going you've had harder challenges at work and came out the other end better. This is 1 of those challenges.

this time next year you'll look back on it and laugh about how much of a pain in the butt the tests are, and then you'll be on the site helping someone else go through the exact same thing you've had to deal with and not forgetting your wife.

Its all worth it in the end I'm certain of that.

I know it's one of those formalities that we just have to do and I've got to bite the bullet. It feels horrible to think our dream could be over because of one test, but like you say it's only over if we let it be. Got to fight on and get this bloody test done hopefully with flying colours next time.

I hope like you say we will be on the other side this time next year, it is a tough time but its good hearing you're not alone in this and other are going through exactly the same.

The dream lives on.

Hi Keith, sorry to hear you're struggling with the IELTS. Is it the reading part you're struggling with every time? If so then with help you can get the marks you need. All the answers are there for you, you just need to find them.

Have you considered taking some classes? Harrogate Language College do them, they run the IELTS exams in Leeds, obviously I don't know where you live but I'm sure there will be somewhere near to you.

Don't lose heart!

Hi flatpack, I've had some tutoring to help me and with all the other parts of the test it paid off, I just can't put my finger on it with the reading I seem to fall to bits, my tutors been great but she's an english teacher and not specific to the IELTS, we live on the wirral but ill have to source somewhere near here who is just for the IELTS, I've said to the mrs 5 tests then I'm out, then we will be going to New Zealand as we have everything in place for a move and can't waste any more time or money, we also have a 4 year old girl and we just want to get her settled in a new school wether it be Oz or NZ!

Hi deb how did you get extra points through TRA? Anita

We did a migration points assessment with the TRA. It meant that we could claim the points for all of Rich's experience. As Rich had done Australian qualifications the migration agent we were speaking to at the time told us we wouldn't ever have enough points without Rich getting 8s across the board for his IELTS. She told us he wouldn't get the Migration Points assessment, but I read the guidelines and disagreed. I filled in the application form, prepared all the evidence, paid our money and sent it off. We were granted a positive result which confirmed the points we needed. We didn't sign up with the migration agent for obvious reasons and the rest is history. Rich hated the IELTS so much. He was on the verge of quitting the whole process, which was heartbreaking as the his AQF and the TRA had taken us so long and cost us thousands. I think a little bit of luck and a lot of determination can get you a long way. Don't give up! X