Shift patterns for WA police - effects on family life

debra

Hi, Can anyone help with the shift patterns of a WA police officer. I am worried we will come over and I will be spending a large amount of time alone with our little ones. Does anyone know what shifts a police officer in Joondalup station works ? Any info would be grateful, can any partners of police officers tell me how their lives are, I'm getting worried about being in Perth with no family network and not seeing my partner very often .

Thanks

Deb

I can't speak specifically for Joondalup, but a mate of mine is a police officer, he seems to work a mixture of days and night shifts with 3/4 days off in between. In Australia work/life balance I far more important, both to employer and employee, well in my experience anyway.

I don't think you should stress too much!

Edited by abc
spelling

There does seem to be more emphasis on a work life balance in the WA police. Shifts are something like this...start at 17:00 for 4 days then 2 days off, 16:00 for 4 days then 5 days off, 7:00 for 4 days then 3 days off, 18:00 for 9 days then 4 days off...etc etc. I think they're 8 hour shifts. If he's at Joondalup for training then it won't be shift work during the training weeks.

• 5 months later...
There does seem to be more emphasis on a work life balance in the WA police. Shifts are something like this...start at 17:00 for 4 days then 2 days off, 16:00 for 4 days then 5 days off, 7:00 for 4 days then 3 days off, 18:00 for 9 days then 4 days off...etc etc. I think they're 8 hour shifts. If he's at Joondalup for training then it won't be shift work during the training weeks.

Lou, got to ask....how do you know so much about policeman's shifts? My mind boggles! :rolleyes: