Medicare

stu4668

there are Medicare offices at Joondalup and at Whitfords Shopping Centre.

Thanks guys for the prompt response, it seems just as stressful thus side of the globe. We have been into NAB today setting up our account, booked another appointment for Saturday for info on mortgage, been to Fremantle to enroll my son on his uni course, stopped at Melville on way back and looked in three car garages, purchased new Kia. Completed online TFN registrations, now just completed Medicare forms but couldn't find address where to take them.

we are finding people don't like or can't call you on English mobiles so we need to get at least Oz SIM card. Can anyone recommend any good deals in relation to talk minutes and internet airtime please.

we just went into JJB Hi fi on our first day to buy a sat nav, came out with a sim for telstra and a telstra mobile internet thingy too so didn't exactly shop around. It seems pretty good though, hubby has only topped it up twice since we got it at $30 each time

We're with Telstra pre paid too. Top up about $40 a month. Gets you around 700mb I think.

Just a word to the wise about NAB and mortgages. They are very keen to sign us newbies up and will make it sound like you can afford to go out and start looking for your dream house immediately. Unless you have pots of cash most mortgages require at least 3 months worth of payslips, and be aware of things like stamp duty and LMI which can bite you on the bum big time.

Unfortunately we learned this one the hard way.

We're with Telstra pre paid too. Top up about $40 a month. Gets you around 700mb I think.

Just a word to the wise about NAB and mortgages. They are very keen to sign us newbies up and will make it sound like you can afford to go out and start looking for your dream house immediately. Unless you have pots of cash most mortgages require at least 3 months worth of payslips, and be aware of things like stamp duty and LMI which can bite you on the bum big time.

Unfortunately we learned this one the hard way.

Interested in what anyone can tell me about mortgages! We will have around a 30% deposit and will be looking to borrow around $350k. Will we be welcomed or not, it will be doing my head in paying rent to someone.

I don't know where I read it, but a couple of times on here i've seen people say within nine months of landing they were buying a house, they needed 2 months payslips, and passports, and a 2% deposit! Then they were given $10,000 dollars on the new buyer scheme.

Not sure how accurate this is though we haven't got to that stage of research yet

Interested in what anyone can tell me about mortgages! We will have around a 30% deposit and will be looking to borrow around $350k. Will we be welcomed or not, it will be doing my head in paying rent to someone.

Mortgages, it very much depends on your circumstances! with a 30% deposit you are over the 20% threshold and so wont have to pay the dreaded Mortgage insurance, which is a killer for many. As for how much you can borrow, that will depend on your earnings much the same as it does in the UK. you need to do your research and talk to people and find out what works for you, different lenders have different requirements.

I don't know where I read it, but a couple of times on here i've seen people say within nine months of landing they were buying a house, they needed 2 months payslips, and passports, and a 2% deposit! Then they were given $10,000 dollars on the new buyer scheme.

Not sure how accurate this is though we haven't got to that stage of research yet

I believe these deals are for new build houses in specific areas, I am not too sure of the details but it does seem to make buying more accessible to people if you are happy / want to live in the areas that they are building.

Edited by Walkabout
typo

As Nikki has said, they will want several months of payslips before they will consider you for a mortgage. So, you are going to have to rent for a while. But, I see this as a good things as it gives youna chance to look around and decide where you want to live permanently. Many people move to an area they "think" they will like when they first arrive, only to realize a few months in that they don't and would prefer a different area. It also gives you a chance to decide if you want to buy a new house - means building or an established house.

There are pluses and negatives to both. Building obviously takes longer. But you get a house you want without compromise. Also, usually builds are worth more once complete than the cost of building. So, you immediately have equity in the house. We also enjoyed the process of visiting the show homes and looking at blocks of land. Also enjoyed the picking everything - you get to chose everything from the paint to the taps.

The cons are it takes a while - maybe a few months to select a builder and get the design you want, then over a year to build.

Edited by verystormy

The $10k grant is for first time builders so Walkabout is probably right in sayignt his was some kind of a land/house package direct with a developer

If you buy an established house the grant is only $3k these days.

Thanks Nikki

This site is so useful and everyone is very helpful, any recommendations for mobile phone sims? :biggrin:

We just went into Vodafone got a sim only for our phone. If you take id they can activate there. If you ask for vodafone international calls to uk landlines are capped at $1.

As Nikki has said, they will want several months of payslips before they will consider you for a mortgage. So, you are going to have to rent for a while. But, I see this as a good things as it gives youna chance to look around and decide where you want to live permanently. Many people move to an area they "think" they will like when they first arrive, only to realize a few months in that they don't and would prefer a different area. It also gives you a chance to decide if you want to buy a new house - means building or an established house.

There are pluses and negatives to both. Building obviously takes longer. But you get a house you want without compromise. Also, usually builds are worth more once complete than the cost of building. So, you immediately have equity in the house. We also enjoyed the process of visiting the show homes and looking at blocks of land. Also enjoyed the picking everything - you get to chose everything from the paint to the taps.

The cons are it takes a while - maybe a few months to select a builder and get the design you want, then over a year to build.

Has VS said renting is good so you get to know the area.Last year on reci we found a house we fell in love with,when we moved over we realised we would not want to live there.