Dental costs - what to expect

STEVE P

How much is dental care in Australia. I had a lost filling replaced privately in the UK last year and was advised to have some teeth x-rayed as looking like there maybe decay under filling. I suppose its time I started to consider this and wondering how much pain (expense) to expect ?

Aus Dentists are great, they get you in the chair for a check up, x-Ray you, do absolutely nothing, then you get presented with a bill for the checkup & x Ray for a couple of hundred bucks & then an estimate for all the work you need doing which normally runs into 400-500 bucks, I just spent about $2k :shocked: HBF gave me $400 back :mad:

Braces- rough estimate I received from a orthodontics was $7000. Bupa give you back approx in total $2,400 over the life time of your policy. First year you can't claim either. Different levels of cover, but ours isn't the basic one either. Dreading son needing them later, but we were told in the UK they would be free there. Sod's law. OH keeps reminding me that tax is less here and we don't pay NI on top of that, like we did in the UK. So really, maybe you save in the long run. Not sure.

Braces- rough estimate I received from a orthodontics was $7000. Bupa give you back approx in total $2,400 over the life time of your policy. First year you can't claim either. Different levels of cover, but ours isn't the basic one either. Dreading son needing them later, but we were told in the UK they would be free there. Sod's law. OH keeps reminding me that tax is less here and we don't pay NI on top of that, like we did in the UK. So really, maybe you save in the long run. Not sure.

Income tax is actually about the same. There isn't NI but we pay super at 9.5% which only "might" give you an income to live on in retirement

Guest Guest6235
Our youngest son is currently going through around 2 years of orthodontics. Cost $6,000. We have Bupa Silver Extras Health cover and can claim $700 per year (Lifetime limit $2,000)

Do you mind if I ask what the monthly cost is a month when your only getting back $2k max over lifetime of policy.

Do you mind if I ask what the monthly cost is a month when your only getting back $2k max over lifetime of policy.

The 2k limit is just for orthodontics, each 'service' has different maximum amounts claimable similar to below. Some services don't have any lifetime limit.

silver.jpg

Guest Guest6235

Cheers.

Seems unfortunate though, you pay probably a decent chunk a month and you can ony go up to 2k. It says $700 p/p , doesn't that mean once that persons had that amount done then that's it or is that per year and does the 2k lump the family together. If my wife and I had $1800 worth of work done (unlikely) then does that just leave $200 for my daughter.

Edited by Guest6235

• 1 month later...

Bit the bullet today, damage was $330 for X-ray & filling, recommendation to have full check up & clean as this is not included !!! Ref Debbie Medhursts post, our son had brace fitted in UK. had difficulty finding orthodontist who would adjust, most want to remove & refit at $7000. Health cover had 1 year qualifying period for Orthonttics.

Bit the bullet today, damage was $330 for X-ray & filling, recommendation to have full check up & clean as this is not included !!! Ref Debbie Medhursts post, our son had brace fitted in UK. had difficulty finding orthodontist who would adjust, most want to remove & refit at $7000. Health cover had 1 year qualifying period for Orthonttics.

Thanks for that, I will pass on your message as Debbie doesnt come on here as much as I do (Shes my wife).

kids get free dental care from the school dentist but not orthodontics. We also got a letter recently saying our kids were entitled to $1000 each dental care per year or 2 years(can't remember which) and this could be used at private or government dentists but private ones may have a gap to pay.

$7000 for braces...ouch!