Second hand cars

kibanje

Guest Guest6235
Thanks for that, have emailed Allan.

Can you let us know on this thread if you have any luck with Bob/Allan as he seems to have disappeared from that other thread? I would be interested in maybe contacting him when we arrive. Cheers

Might be teaching you to suck eggs but be careful. I'm sure its been said before, no mot over here so if you are not familiar with the nuts and bolts of a car try and take someone with you who does. Some of the warrantys over here stipulate servicing every 3 months not 12 like uk and you could get caught out with that should you try and claim.

Likewise, we've just brought our first "new" car since being here. a 2 year old for fiesta. John Hughes were $2K cheaper than book price, and the car's condition beat others hands down.

If your budget is more limited, then I would allways go with a private buyer, Gumtree I find best by far.

Nick

Guest Guest6235
Might be teaching you to suck eggs but be careful. I'm sure its been said before, no mot over here so if you are not familiar with the nuts and bolts of a car try and take someone with you who does. Some of the warrantys over here stipulate servicing every 3 months not 12 like uk and you could get caught out with that should you try and claim.

I've seen it mentioned before that RAC do a check for you if needed, is it about $150 they charge?

Guest Guest6235

Guessing this means you get stung with a servicing bill every 3 months.

Bob, can you help me out with a question?

5 weeks ago I bought a ute for work. It's a 2010 model, previously owned by a shire, full service history with Ford, 125K's. I bought it from a dealer and got a warranty with it, they had also serviced it before I bought it.

I'm doing around 500k's a week. On Friday on my way home I heard a grinding noise from the brakes, when I got home I took off the back wheels. Both side had 1 pad worn down to the metal and 1 good pad in. I was always told to change pads in sets, left and right and never put 1 new pad in on it's own.

I rang the dealer in question and they told me to take it in so they could look at it, they haven't said what they'll do (I know enough about motors to know it needs new pads at the very least, and maybe new discs if they are scored)

I'm pretty sure that a Ford dealer wouldn't put a half set of pads in when they are servicing a shire vehicle so it's down to these guys (who are probably working to a budget after buying at auction)

How should I play this?

Can't say i've used that service myself. I will ask at work if anyone has used it and their opinions.

Unfortunatley i didnt get a sensible answer out of my Australian work mates. They were quite dismayed that i wanted someone else to look at a car for me. I tried to explain it wasn't for me, but hey, they are australian and naturally stupid, dense and full of themselves.

we were going to buy a Tuscon when we lived in Slovenia many moons ago, they are a bit dated. I would go with the i30. Newer car, nicer engine and a bit greener too! compromise though is it is a bit smaller, so depends on how big your family is and if you want to cart loads of gear around with you. Tuscon is a bit bulky so should someone not be very good at parking in your household, it may be troublesome!

• 2 weeks later...
Bob, can you help me out with a question?

5 weeks ago I bought a ute for work. It's a 2010 model, previously owned by a shire, full service history with Ford, 125K's. I bought it from a dealer and got a warranty with it, they had also serviced it before I bought it.

I'm doing around 500k's a week. On Friday on my way home I heard a grinding noise from the brakes, when I got home I took off the back wheels. Both side had 1 pad worn down to the metal and 1 good pad in. I was always told to change pads in sets, left and right and never put 1 new pad in on it's own.

I rang the dealer in question and they told me to take it in so they could look at it, they haven't said what they'll do (I know enough about motors to know it needs new pads at the very least, and maybe new discs if they are scored)

I'm pretty sure that a Ford dealer wouldn't put a half set of pads in when they are servicing a shire vehicle so it's down to these guys (who are probably working to a budget after buying at auction)

How should I play this?

Not uncommon to get uneven pad wear, I should think its a sliding calliper and when they replaced the pads the callipers didn't get cleaned and given a little copper slip lovin, remember as in the UK dealers will have different levels of service and will only complete repairs with a authorisation from owner. If the vehicle went in a couple of months before they planned to move it on and the dealer mentioned it would be due pads in the next couple of months then you can imagine the probable answer.

I would go down the route of saying the pads where not in a acceptable condition considering the vehicle had just been serviced and you want a check of both front and rear brakes and new pads on the rear,

Good luck