Guest Guest6235

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it ever worry you Arwen?

I do find it interesting that maybe some of the longer term residents of Perth have kept quiet on the subject.

Not at all. I can't control it. I can only keep my house as safe as I can. I am not a worrier at all. There is no point worrying about something over which you have zero control.

Does it ever worry you Arwen?

I do find it interesting that maybe some of the longer term residents of Perth have kept quiet on the subject.

perth is no different from the UK ...sh1t happens here too.

touch wood, I've never been burgarled here or in the UK.

i have had a push bike stolen from my garden in Perth though, yes it was the one time that I Didnt lock it and put it away.

not sure what your getting at re: keeping quiet.

perth is a city like any other large city, there is the same crime as elsewhere.

nobody needs to keep quiet...it's all out there at the touch of a keyboard.

ive noticed your location. Before leaving for Oz, I sat on a jury, for a murder that was committed in your area. What I saw and heard during that trial give me many sleepless nights.

we all have to be careful, its a crazy world out there.

but I feel happy and safe here

Guest Guest6235

Good to know fifi69. I'm only trying to get the thought's from as many people as possible so thanks. I've said on here before I know somebody up in Yanchep area and he and his family love it out there & wouldn't return to UK and he feels safe.

The topic doesn't change my mind about wanting to come to Perth but it's the one that would concern me more than any other discussed on here such as price of groceries etc.

Edited by Guest6235

If I had just moved house to a new area in the UK or anywhere in the world. I would be extra cautious until I got a really good feel for the area,this takes time. It's mainly common sense. If someone did try to rob me or hurt anyone of my family and I found them,it wouldn't really matter where in the world I was. The old bill would be putting me away for a long time.

Perth/OZ felt safe to me,but I was there on holiday and staying in a nice area,not living there.

When we arrived I was really conscious of the number of burglaries here. My SIL and BIL take security of their home very seriously...perks of their job! People do get targeted here if they leave doors and windows open or bikes unlocked, or bags, phones etc on display in cars. There's recently been a spate of teenagers robbing people's handbags as they get into their car; targeting Mums with small children as they are preoccupied putting the pram/ child in the car. There always seems to be a problem with wayward teenagers at my nearest largest shopping centre unfortunately which is why I chose to avoid the place.

Many house burglaries also involve car theft and then a police chase!!!

I think it's terrible and it disgusts me. There are some scum in WA.

The report about an increase in burglaries in the summer doesn't surprise me. People are more inclined to leave doors and windows open. Also, I've heard there are more issues in the summer due to a migration from the north...

Edited by Lou8670

I was burgled once in the UK, and have never been in Australia (touch wood).

So I make that an infinite higher risk in the UK.

My house here, nothing is on display (looking through windows you can't see anything like TVs etc).

I've security cameras, a visible house alarm, tools etc. are hidden and locked away.

Cars are put in the garage, doors have extra dead bolts and windows are closed and locked.

I've also been looking into CrimSafe window covers.

You don't have to go OTT, but as long as you are sensible and have deterrents (cameras, alarms, dogs) you should be fine.

Least there are no pikies thieving out of garden sheds here, who the police refuse to deal with.

And just to add, the stats for 'burglaries' also include building site thefts.

So if you have a lot of new houses going into an area, the numbers jump as people will rob the building materials & tools left on site.

Yeh I can't believe that...fly tipping on building sites is also common! It's amazing a skip delivered one day for the builders is full of old mattresses, bikes, car seats, etc etc by the next day!

I always make sure I lock up at night but I won't lock windows with a key and dead bolt things as I want to know I can always get out in the event of a fire, I work in aged care and a lot of my clients are obviously security conscious but I do wonder how most would escape if they ever needed to.

Guest Guest6235

Quite a disturbing message from my friend off the forum oddball (Elizabeth). I asked her what her experiences of crime were in Perth when she was there, she is in UK now but applying to get back out to Perth. I think she may post the message later on.

Guest Guest13452

I was unfortunately affected by quite a bit of crime. Here are a few things I've experienced:

Three break-ins in my cars in 7 years. Each time, it was because I'd left a few dollars in change in the cup holder, or a light jacket on the back seat. It always occurred at night outside of my house (three different houses in 3 different suburbs!). My advice is keep your car perfectly clean ONE HUNDRED percent of the time. I'm not kidding when I say they will break a window for a couple dollars or an old umbrella. Store everything in your boot, all the time. Not even reusable grocery bags are safe haha. The three break-ins happened in Kalamunda, Huntingdale, and Port Kennedy. I have no doubt that had my car been clean of change, the window would not have been smashed. You'd think that I'd learn :wacko:

I worked in pharmacy (my ex-partner was an owner) and so I had several run-ins with people who have spat on me, and stolen goods while I watched, in addition to the all-too-regular 3am ram raids. But this was all related to my occupation in pharmacy, so I don't think you need to worry. :)

Lastly, a man who was drugged up out of his mind jumped on the bonnet of my car while I was sitting at a petrol station, while I waited for my partner who was inside. He beat the windscreen in with his hands, but it probably didn't help that I told him to f*** off. Hahaha. This happened at around 10pm in the CBD, so police were on it within two minutes.

I don't mean to put anyone off. I've lived in Perth since I was 18, then moved to Leeds. I feel no more or less safe in Perth than I feel in Leeds (or Chicago for that matter, where I lived until I was 18).

Guest Guest6235

Really don't know why I do this to myself but just watched crimewatch for the first time in years. It really made my blood boil, it showed 3 break ins where people were beaten up, attemped car jacking, a brutal rape, kiddie fiddlers & it also mentioned that latest results in England & Wales show a 29% rise in rape & 48% rise in knife point rape. It really shows why worry about going somewhere new to live when there are scumbags everywhere.