3 sleeps!!!

The Jamesy's

Hi everyone,

Just thought we would share a bit of how we're feeling with only 3 days to go!!

So, me 37, hubby 40 and 4 girls aged 14, 12, 6 & 4 are heading to sunny Perth on Thursday on a 9.40 am flight.

It has been a long journey and now it's finally nearing and the goodbyes have started the emotions are running very high! We have been back in the UK for 5 years after spending 3 years in Perth before. We were very lucky enough to get citizenship before so haven't had the trauma of trying to get visas this time. since returning from Perth we have had trouble settling anywhere and haven't felt that feeling of "belonging" somewhere, so the decision to return to Perth has been an ongoing conversation for maybe 4.5 years! So here we are living out of suitcases at the in laws for the last 4 weeks which have flown (luckily) and getting excited about our impending move. Hubby is starting to get doubts about it as we came back before and we have 2 teenagers schooling to think about, and the whole starting all over again-housing, friends, schools, doctors, dentists-everything. I think he is feeling overwhelmed by the whole thing. It has been such a long wait and now becoming so real he is starting to fret BIG time. Both the little ones are very excited and really don't understand the whole goodbye thing and really comprehend how far away it is. My 14 year old is excited but nervous about the flight as she was extremely sick last time. She has had trouble with girls at school so she is looking forward to a fresh start. My 12 year old is a little excited but also dreading going as she has to say goodbye to her bestest friend in the whole world-they have become so close it is like tearing two old friends apart that have known each other for years and years!!

I am feeling very excited and looking forward to hopefully feeling like I belong somewhere again and feeling happy with our day to day lives and just feeling like we actually have a bit of a life. But I am also feeling pressure on myself that we are making the right decision for all the girls and not ruining their lives completely and the two older girls aren't going to end up resenting me for taking them away from grandparents. I am hoping they are going to have more opportunities in Perth as they get older and we all enjoy a much better quality family life together. These are the reasons for going and I just hope that as we aren't so naive this time and are a little more knowledgeable we are going to be able to create this for our family.

Anyway, a little insight into how the emotions really play on your mind towards the end and make you question everything you are doing. Hubby is a carpenter by trade but does a bit of everything and we both love meeting new people and am looking forward to some of the meet ups and putting names to faces. May even have to pop in and see Rob at Costa for a cuppa!!

Anyway, we wish all those trying to get visas good luck and don't give up and all those also making the move soon good luck with your new lives and we hope it is all you want it to be, Jess xxxx

Safe trip it sounds like you ve had a few years to settle in the UK but it just hasn't happened, interestingly why did you return after 3 years in Perth?

To be honest it was the pull of family and the homesickness-but-saying that we had our third child out there and with a mix of the hormones through pregnancy it made my feelings of wanting to be near my mum worse! The first time we tried selling our house out there, I was pregnant, but we couldn't sell, in hindsight that was a blessing because we stayed and got citizenship. Then before our daughter was one, we sold and came back. I really do believe had we not had our daughter, we would still be there.

After about 10 months of being back in the UK and everything returning to normality we felt we had made a mistake in coming back but by that time we literally could not afford to return to Perth. It has been 5 long years of renovating a couple of properties to feel like we are now financially able to do it. We thought that we were also emotionally ready, but as it draws closer emotions are all over the place! We are going to give it another go, take each day as it comes and if it works out this time then great but if not then we will return and draw a line under the whole Aus life. Obviously, we are very hopeful that this time it will work for us and we can get on with some kind of "normal" life without wishing every day we were somewhere else. Jess x

To be honest it was the pull of family and the homesickness-but-saying that we had our third child out there and with a mix of the hormones through pregnancy it made my feelings of wanting to be near my mum worse! The first time we tried selling our house out there' date=' I was pregnant, but we couldn't sell, in hindsight that was a blessing because we stayed and got citizenship. Then before our daughter was one, we sold and came back. I really do believe had we not had our daughter, we would still be there.

After about 10 months of being back in the UK and everything returning to normality we felt we had made a mistake in coming back but by that time we literally could not afford to return to Perth. It has been 5 long years of renovating a couple of properties to feel like we are now financially able to do it. We thought that we were also emotionally ready, but as it draws closer emotions are all over the place! We are going to give it another go, take each day as it comes and if it works out this time then great but if not then we will return and draw a line under the whole Aus life. Obviously, we are very hopeful that this time it will work for us and we can get on with some kind of "normal" life without wishing every day we were somewhere else. Jess x[/quote']

Well good luck I wish you all the best, it sounds like once you put your mind to something your determination gets you through so here's hoping that your determination to make a solid go of it again in Perth pays off for you all, and if it doesn't work out you ll have had an adventure on the journey x

Good luck with it all I imagine it's exactly how I'll feel in a few months. I hope it all works out for you this time xxx

This is is the thing,nobody can tell you any different. Many will dismiss your upheaval as madness,but you know how you feel and feelings are what make people tick. Do what's right for your lot and good luck with it.

Thank you all for your kind wishes xx last day today-saying goodbye to my parents which is going to be tough. But, to be honest most of the goodbyes haven't been too bad!! We have just tried to stay really positive for the children and not really been saying goodbye as such more of a "see you on the other side on Skype/facetime etc!! Which seems to be working!!

Jo, I am looking forward to meeting you-we shall definitely have to arrange a meet up-good luck with your flights-I have stocked up very well on travel sickness tablets for everyone!!!

Will try and post an update as soon as I am able xx

Take care Jess xx