Shipping items sell or ditch

zoe009

Hi

Just started the what to ship and the sell or tip list and its endless. We plan to arrive beginning of April I would really appreciate it if you could please advise on the below!

Are the below products worth stocking up before leaving the UK

Shampoo and conditioner and hair products?

Face and body creams?

Nail varnishes?

Perfumes?

Bras

Tall Ugg boots I have just purchased these so I could sell in the UK for good price - is there a need for ugg boots in perth in the winter?

Washing machine the sales in the UK are good at the moment ie a decent washer for £250 would you buy in the UK or wait untill I arrive in Perth.

Petrol lawnmower and petrol trimmer/bush cutter these are like new I am just concerned about customs I know I have to remove all grass, clean and rub down with Jeyes would you advise to ship or sell.

Treadmill ship or sell?

We also have a rocko (tv Internet streamer device)ins it worth fetching?

Yankee candles can you buy these in perth?

Do you think secondhand furniture is easy to come buy?

Sorry for the list of questions but there is so much to consider.

Def keep your Ugg boots - you love them July/August time. Shampoo etc plenty available here and some offer is allways going on. Life carries on pretty much the same here as it did in the uk - do stuff that's useful there you ll use here too - I was very put off bringing stuff because of customs but now wish I had brought more - just follow the rules and you ll fine I'm sure. Good luck with the move : )

If you sell your items in the UK the money you gain will not purchase anything of the same here. Container and insurances prices vary but add up the cost of selling all your items money gained will not purchase the equivalent here in Perth put that against the cost of a container. Usually the container works out cheaper. Our rule was fetch all we could except the washing machine and fridge freezer. When you first arrive you will be spending out money hand over fist. Change of driving licence rental deposit rental cost setting up of utility bills - yes they charge you for that crazy - list goes on. At the end of the day it is your choice on what to do.

They have deals on here and you can buy in bulk on websites like Ozsale. I would bother putting any in the container; in any case I don't think your insurance will be valid if one leaks which is why they say you can't ship liquids.

Face and body creams? Nail varnishes? Perfumes?

There are some fab ones here and they're really well priced. Nutrimetrics is very popular. I wouldn't stock up; just bring enough of the ones you use to tide you over until you find one you like. All the main brands here anyway.

Bras

Bras and Things is great and Target is like M&S for underwear (or as close as you'll get). M&S do ship to Oz :wink:

Tall Ugg boots I have just purchased these so I could sell in the UK for good price - is there a need for ugg boots in perth in the winter?

BRING! You'll need them in the winter as the houses don't have great heating and tiled floors can be cold. But don't wear them outside or you'll be at risk of being called bogan!

Washing machine the sales in the UK are good at the moment ie a decent washer for £250 would you buy in the UK or wait until I arrive in Perth.

Bring! White goods are more expensive here, particularly washing machines (although I think it's because the drum sizes here are generally bigger)

Petrol lawnmower and petrol trimmer/bush cutter these are like new I am just concerned about customs I know I have to remove all grass, clean and rub down with Jeyes would you advise to ship or sell.

We didn't bring ours lawn mower and ended up buying a new one from Bunnings. If it won't go in the container leave it behind as most rentals include garden services otherwise clean them with Jeyes Fluid and bring them with you. We did that with some of our garden tools.

Treadmill ship or sell? Bring if it'll go in! You'll likely to have plenty of space for it in your new home :wink:

No idea if it'll work here?!?!?

I think candles are another thing they won't allow in your container as they are highly flammable so don't bother bringing them. There are candle shops here and lots of shops selling scented sticks which seem to be the rage here rather than lighting scented candles. The garden shops sell lots of lanterns for the garden which will keep the bugs away.

Do you think secondhand furniture is easy to come buy? There is lots on Gumtree and Facebook buy and sell pages. You have to get in quick as there are so many people looking for cheap second hand furniture having moved here with not a lot but there seems to be a lot of things advertised on buy and sell.

I would advise to bring as much as you can fit in your container. Make sure you read the advice on the customs website and your shipper should also give you a list of prohibited items. If I remember correctly it was no liquids, candles or flammable items, soiled items, natural items such as pine cones, bark, grasses or seeds, untreated wood or wicker. If they find it and have to confiscate the item they'll also charge you to destroy it and that's when it gets expensive!

Hope this helps!

Lou

Edited by Lou8670

Def keep your Ugg boots - you love them July/August time. Shampoo etc plenty available here and some offer is allways going on. Life carries on pretty much the same here as it did in the uk - do stuff that's useful there you ll use here too - I was very put off bringing stuff because of customs but now wish I had brought more - just follow the rules and you ll fine I'm sure. Good luck with the move : )

do people wear Ugg boots in Perth? I mean, out of the house? Am curious because when I was young you wouldn't have been seen dead outside in your Uggs (they were for wearing as slippers only), and I know my Oz friends still feel the same.

Edited by Laz

I leave the UK in 6 weeks so I'm probably not in the best position to give advice. BUT, I am from Australia originally and I have spoken to friends and family at home about the cost of everything (as well as advice on here) and as a result I'm taking as much stuff as I can. I have stocked up on shampoo and conditioner from TK Maxx which will last me a year or two! The shampoo/conditioner I bought was salon brand (Sebastian) which my hairdresser in Perth used to stock. And I've bought loads of Dermalogica to take (in shipment), and I'll def be buying more makeup. Maybe others don't agree but I know that nice stuff in Australia costs a lot more than the UK! And Target clothes/underwear aren't the same quality as M&S. They were always pretty cheap....maybe like George quality, unless they've changed radically in the last 10 years?! I have stocked up in the sales from Boden, Gap and John Lewis for me and the kids. I think I have so much new stuff we won't need new clothes for two years! And we are also taking all appliances which was recommended on this forum...we had all Miele and Siemens which we'd never have the money to replace when in Perth.

do people wear Ugg boots in Perth? I mean, out of the house? Am curious because when I was young you wouldn't have been seen dead outside in your Uggs (they were for wearing as slippers only), and I know my Oz friends still feel the same.

Plenty of people go outside of the house in ugg boots.

Guest Guest6235

Hey Laz if they're George quality I'll be happy with that, I've had boxers from there and not a problem. I'm happy to shop all over including higher brand stuff & lower brand and if it means saving it a bit of money then I'll no doubt adapt and buy what's on offer.

I don't understand the thing about not wearing UGG boots outside, my wife has never had any but when we go shopping we see plenty of people wearing them in England in places like Meadowhall/ Leeds & York.

Keefo....originally Uggs were made for use as slippers, or at least that's how they were worn in Australia. Then they became big overseas as a fashion shoe/boot.

ETA - I just remembered that they were worn as shoes/boots years ago and not just as slippers, but as Lou pointed out above they were worn by a certain group of society...with stretch denim jeans and black t-shirts with cigarettes tucked into the sleeve!

Edited by Laz

Target quality equals M&S erm I beg to differ the underwear in Target is like a dish cloth just my opinion.

I agree - I still buy my underwear from M&S, they ship to Australia and often for free - Free shipping is actually on now.

Better quality and better price, plus proper sizing.

I'm with elfie on the underwear quality! Mrs plimthing would frown if i bought her target undies! Id get away with m&s as a prezzie just about! And the top brand stuff in Perth, there isn't a lot of choice. Mail order the way forward on that one! But that's just my opinion, what do i know!

Haha more than my oh:cute:

Guest Guest13452

I completely agree with everyone who has advised against wearing Uggs outside of the house in Australia, if you're fashion-conscious in any way! They are almost associated with bogans. :cute:

Hi

Just started the what to ship and the sell or tip list and its endless. We plan to arrive beginning of April I would really appreciate it if you could please advise on the below!

Are the below products worth stocking up before leaving the UK

Face and body creams?

Nail varnishes?

Perfumes?

Bras

Washing machine the sales in the UK are good at the moment ie a decent washer for £250 would you buy in the UK or wait untill I arrive in Perth.

Treadmill ship or sell?

Do you think secondhand furniture is easy to come buy?

Sorry for the list of questions but there is so much to consider.

Thankyou for your replies this has helped make a few decisions.

We are now considering shipping a 20ft container therefore we would have room so is it worth bringing our fridge freezer?