Stuff I Didn't Know But I do now ....

louisef

There is an awful lot of information to digest during this moving to the other side of the world malarky and I've found it is still a constant learning curve when you arrive - there is always new "stuff" that you happen to come across which you'd never possibly have known.

I thought it would be useful to share a few of our thongs on the ground titbits, so here are a few of mine to start ....

Uggs = Bogans - thank God I now know : )

Once you are in the lane to turn right you cannot change your mind and go straight on - not even if nobody else is in either lane and if there is a camera there you'll get a $100 fine and 2 points - merrhhhh : (

Petrol is cheaper on a Tuesday ... not sure if this is true - can anyone confirm ??

There are shorts and then there are SHORT shorts

Manchester is bed linen

Ant Bites are horrid

There is a procedure for ladies called a Mona Lisa Touch and it .... nah forget that one .... it should probably come under another post called "Stuff you never even knew you had to worry about" :laugh:

Petrol is cheaper on a Tuesday ... not sure if this is true - can anyone confirm ??

I've always found it's cheaper on Wednesdays but it's definitely more expensive on Friday - Sunday. Check the Fuelwatch website or download the app to know where closest to you has the cheapest fuel.

Ant Bites are horrid

I wrote on here some time ago about my experience with an ant. Long story short, don't pick them up and encourage them to bite, some of them have venom that makes you feel like you've had a hundred cups of coffee - woo hoo!

There is a procedure for ladies called a Mona Lisa Touch and it .... nah forget that one .... it should probably come under another post called "Stuff you never even knew you had to worry about" :laugh:

I had to Google.

I wish I hadn't

I've been here so long it's difficult to know what I didn't know but do now.

Medicare allow you one set of x-Rays 'on the house', per year, when referred by a chiropractor.

Mooching around a shop is not browsing, it's shop lifting!

A router is not a piece of computer gadgetry here, it's something one man does to another man who is bending over. You have to call it a modem otherwise you get seriously dodgy looks.

Medicare allow you one set of x-Rays 'on the house', per year, when referred by a chiropractor.

Mooching around a shop is not browsing, it's shop lifting!

A router is not a piece of computer gadgetry here, it's something one man does to another man who is bending over. You have to call it a modem otherwise you get seriously dodgy looks.

If you pronounce router like 'out' instead of 'oot' they will know what you mean.

If you pronounce router like 'out' instead of 'oot' they will know what you mean.

Ah. ...but I thought that was a wood work tool

Another thing, DIY shops do not stock a variety of coloured paints. They are mostly white and they add the pigment themselves.

Egg shell paint is called Enamel paint here. Although it goes on wood.

Thongs = footwear

Chips = hot chips

Crisps = Chips

Lollies = sweets

Add 'O' to most things, ambo, arvo

Bludger - lazy person

Bottlo - bottle shop/off licence ... supermarkets don't sell alcohol

Chook - chicken

Footy - AFL

Soccer - Football (the real kind)

Grog - Alcohol

Schooner - lg glass beer (425ml)

Middy - sml glass beer (285 ml).

Seems blood tests are covered with Medicare too

Yesterday while I was waiting at the lights to turn right and nearly falling asleep waiting - an angry Man in the car behind me got out and told me to "pull up to the tab" - presume I wasn't far up enougth to register on the some sort of sensor ?? Does anyone know any more about the "tab" ?

I don't know of any that work off weight, most are inductive loops. In older suburbs where digging up the road to lay the sensors is prohibitively expensive they use a more cost effective method of either electromagnetic or acoustic sensors. These are fairly localized so if your car sits outside of their operating field the lights won't change.

Drive thru.... get your beers on the way and if you know what you want they will drop it in the back for you ....

lemon curd is lemon butter

Don't worry if you use all your license points you can go to court and get an Exceptional license.

Rego is your car tax they say over 80% of drivers don't hold comp insurance

Every job application asks if you ever or going through a compensation claim.