money for abroad

wee_me

Hi All

We are going to KL and Bali for our fist travels outside Aus :)

my question is- how do I get access to money?

In the UK I used my bank card as I had free transactions abroad with First Direct, I don't have that account anymore. So I thought about getting a prepaid card but the prepaid cards I could see were only available in a few currencies and it didn't cover the currencies I am after. I don't want to take cash as I am nervous about losing it/getting robbed, and don't want to use my westpac card as they will rob me lol

I can remember people at my old work talking about some credit card that was really good for travel abroad but I can't remember what it was!

Any ideas/experiences to share?

Cheers

I meant my room getting robbed - happened to us before in Spain (also staff nicking things from safe), in good places too.

i thought Westpac would rob us in exchange rate and charge for withdrawal fees? I'll pop in and ask them what they charge

thabks

We just did Cambodia and Vietnam and took cash - mixture of local and USD. We used local ATM's in both countries to withdraw cash on our Westpac accounts, no problem.

Bali and KL you say? Don't worry, you won't get robbed, just be sensible.

There will be a charge but it's negligible, a few bucks so we just withdrew our maximum each time.

In my experience Bali and KL will be a whole lot safer than Spain.

We tend to scatter cash throughout our accommodation in various secret places so if we do get robbed they hopefully won't take it all. I have never once felt worried in Bali. Was there on a bucks recently and one of the guys was pickpocketed but we were a mess and asking for it and it was so blatant we all saw it.

If you're wandering through Kuta at night in thongs and boardies with a fat wallet in your pocket and an iPhone in the other then expect not to have them in the morning.

I think KL has one of the lowest crime rates so it shouldn't be a problem, like I say, just be sensible.

There was a warning issued this week about intelligence suggesting a possible terrorist attack in Bali. Could just be our sensational, scaremongering press, it wouldn't bother me but you might want to check it out.

Enjoy, have an awesome time and try the sweet snakeskin fruit and the mangosteen, they're fantastic. Keep away from the Arak, that's not so good :wink:

Thanks for the info :)

Ill look into the Bali thing- not overly worried given the UK was in high alert for ages and everyone just got on with it! We go there middle of year, going to KL soon- can't wait!

There will be a charge but it's negligible, a few bucks so we just withdrew our maximum each time.

In my experience Bali and KL will be a whole lot safer than Spain.

We tend to scatter cash throughout our accommodation in various secret places so if we do get robbed they hopefully won't take it all. I have never once felt worried in Bali. Was there on a bucks recently and one of the guys was pickpocketed but we were a mess and asking for it and it was so blatant we all saw it.

If you're wandering through Kuta at night in thongs and boardies with a fat wallet in your pocket and an iPhone in the other then expect not to have them in the morning.

I think KL has one of the lowest crime rates so it shouldn't be a problem, like I say, just be sensible.

There was a warning issued this week about intelligence suggesting a possible terrorist attack in Bali. Could just be our sensational, scaremongering press, it wouldn't bother me but you might want to check it out.

Enjoy, have an awesome time and try the sweet snakeskin fruit and the mangosteen, they're fantastic. Keep away from the Arak, that's not so good :wink: