I wish i'd filled my container with...

cutchibear

i thought this could be a handy thread for those of us still yet to make the move! I'm sure there will be all sorts of little gaps in our container/cube and we will need inspiration of what to fill it with.

I wondered if those of you already out there had some ideas of what essentials (or non essentials!) are sensible to pack if space e.g. certain toiletries, fabrics, etc!

Obviously there are certain things we can't take but any useful advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I like this thread

I'm always sorting out and thinking about what to bring and what not to bring! I've already started summer/autumn clothes shopping and put them up.

My Aunt got rid of everything in the house and brought new 5 years ago, she always says to me she wished she had filled a 40ft container! and if I'm going to sell anything sell it once I get to Oz.

Watching with interest as we have pretty much dwindled the house down to fit in a cube now but maybe tempted to buy some stuff, I have been told to bring an oven as they are expensive. We will have no white goods as all ours are built in and will have to stay with the house. Problem with bringing things is you never know where you will be and what you will need, if we brought an oven it could be sat in a garage for 2 years and then may not even need it as the one in the purchase maybe fine etc.

Watching with interest as we have pretty much dwindled the house down to fit in a cube now but maybe tempted to buy some stuff, I have been told to bring an oven as they are expensive. We will have no white goods as all ours are built in and will have to stay with the house. Problem with bringing things is you never know where you will be and what you will need, if we brought an oven it could be sat in a garage for 2 years and then may not even need it as the one in the purchase maybe fine etc.

There are deals to be done with white goods over here, especially if you are buying a few items. Got a decent deal at one place for fridge/freezer and washing machine then went next door and they bettered it by another $100!

Wish I had packed Clarks school shoes!! We assumed the girls would go into a local government school and only need trainers however we may be lucky and be able to get them into a local Catholic Primary (will know early next week) and if so they will need black laced girls school shoes...... $96 a pair!

Also really glad we brought the car as second hand diesel cars here have really high mileage and are very expensive.

Apart from those items I don't think there is anything we need that we can't buy here (even if it is at a slightly higher price) but time will tell - we are due to receive and unpack our container tomorrow at our rental in Margaret River.

Wish I had packed Clarks school shoes!! We assumed the girls would go into a local government school and only need trainers however we may be lucky and be able to get them into a local Catholic Primary (will know early next week) and if so they will need black laced girls school shoes...... $96 a pair!.

I bought my son's school shoes from Athletes Foot and they've lasted over 6 months. I think I'll only have to get a new pair because he's grown! Clarks would never last that long with him and still would cost £48!

• 2 weeks later...
So guys I'm gonna be moving over in a few months, will it be worth us bringing a washer, dryer, cooker, fridge/freezer as all mine are built in??? Thanks x

You will not need a cooker all houses come with them. I brought a drier (new) but didn't bring a washer (and wish I had as the good brands are expensive in comparison). Fridge / freezer are more difficult as you'll need to fit it into the size of the gap in the kitchen and we found a very good one on gumtree.com.au. We were also lucky to find a good 8 month old Bosch washer on gumtree but it cost $600 (in the UK it was £280 new!). Have a look on gumtree.com.au before you think of buying in the UK and shipping - it may be better to buy on arrival either new (The Good Guys etc.) or second hand.

Bring lots of adapters! They are very expensive and hard to find here. Also lots of UK extension leads - 2 / 4 gang - we are so glad we brought ours and every appliance which still has a UK plug has now been connected and we have a few adapters to spare.

Bring good quality shoes! I had to buy an emergency pair of work shoes and they nearly crippled me and were expensive! I've since done a shop on ebay and got some Clark's shoes from the US at 1/2 the price they are in Perth.

Wish I had packed Clarks school shoes!! We assumed the girls would go into a local government school and only need trainers however we may be lucky and be able to get them into a local Catholic Primary (will know early next week) and if so they will need black laced girls school shoes...... $96 a pair!

Also really glad we brought the car as second hand diesel cars here have really high mileage and are very expensive.

Apart from those items I don't think there is anything we need that we can't buy here (even if it is at a slightly higher price) but time will tell - we are due to receive and unpack our container tomorrow at our rental in Margaret River.

we already had the kids enrolled at school and I was given the heads up that school shoes would be at least $100. So I searched online for black shoes with laces (school shoes just don't come with laces in the UK) and I got Hush Puppies (seem decent shoes) for a little over £20 a pair. I also got white trainers in the UK. I've got another school uniform tip. The winter shorts at my sons' school are $52 a pair. So, I did an M&S order (free delivery as I bought a few things) and got shorts that look identical (have compared them with a pair I've been given) for about £10 a pair. Incidentally, the M&S order took 4 days to get here. I ordered something from Sydney at the same time and it took a week longer!

I haven't got my shipment yet, but as long as my vacuum cleaner gets cleared okay, I'm glad I brought it. Plus I'm glad I have a few boxes of vacuum cleaner bags. I've got a decent Miele vac cleaner which wasn't too expensive, yet I saw Miele vac cleaners in a dept store the other day and they started from$700!

Well

Here goes

We are not planning to make the move for another 18 at least, however I have started to buy things to stuff into the container, loads of random things as well as the usual suspects,

We are doing a new build, I am packing my container with DIY tools etc. I am packing lots of screws, nuts and bolts, hand tools, ironmongery, tool boxes full of DIY bits.

I have been going thru all the deals and offers in the screwfix website and am slowly building up my own DIY store.

Am making sure that the stuff I but will have a good chance of making it thru customs etc.

This week I will be investing in one of these for the container,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280drh-15-5kg-breaker-230v/67819

The family and I were over in October, we bought a nice bit of land and will be looking to build our own place in the following years to come.

I wished If filled it with kids ibuprofen and calpol! Especially as we used to be able to get it free on prescription. Here in WA it costs the earth! Brands are $20 a bottle with the chemists own still being around $14. I know though you're not meant to transport liquids or import pharmaceuticals :sad:

You will not need a cooker all houses come with them. I brought a drier (new) but didn't bring a washer (and wish I had as the good brands are expensive in comparison). Fridge / freezer are more difficult as you'll need to fit it into the size of the gap in the kitchen and we found a very good one on gumtree.com.au. We were also lucky to find a good 8 month old Bosch washer on gumtree but it cost $600 (in the UK it was £280 new!). Have a look on gumtree.com.au before you think of buying in the UK and shipping - it may be better to buy on arrival either new (The Good Guys etc.) or second hand.

Bring lots of adapters! They are very expensive and hard to find here. Also lots of UK extension leads - 2 / 4 gang - we are so glad we brought ours and every appliance which still has a UK plug has now been connected and we have a few adapters to spare.

Bring good quality shoes! I had to buy an emergency pair of work shoes and they nearly crippled me and were expensive! I've since done a shop on ebay and got some Clark's shoes from the US at 1/2 the price they are in Perth.

Dont buy adapters - oz and UK electrical system is the same, just pop into bunnings and buy plugs and replace them.

Well

Here goes

We are not planning to make the move for another 18 at least, however I have started to buy things to stuff into the container, loads of random things as well as the usual suspects,

We are doing a new build, I am packing my container with DIY tools etc. I am packing lots of screws, nuts and bolts, hand tools, ironmongery, tool boxes full of DIY bits.

I have been going thru all the deals and offers in the screwfix website and am slowly building up my own DIY store.

Am making sure that the stuff I but will have a good chance of making it thru customs etc.

This week I will be investing in one of these for the container,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280drh-15-5kg-breaker-230v/67819

The family and I were over in October, we bought a nice bit of land and will be looking to build our own place in the following years to come.

Are you going to do a self build (you need to get licences for this) or just appoint one of the big builders? If the later, you don't need a lot in the way of tools other than garden ones.