IELTS -what a joke

JenPen

Well as it's now me and not MrJP doing the IELTS I have commenced revision...!

Completed my first Reading test and achieved a 7.....it's all a load of gobbledygook if you ask me and more of a memory/hunting exercise.

Never mind I just bloody hope I get the points....as I ideally want 8's it's going to be tough!

Anyone else got their IELTS soon? How's the revision going?

Good luck hun! When's your Test?

My husband had his 5th test on Saturday he's been half a mark off reading, he found some really good tips from you tube videos that he used this time.

I'm really hoping he has done enough, I really feel for him to have to do this test! x

Gosh 5x what a great money making scheme they have from us. Good luck to him, my oh is taking soon and I'm dreading it:(

Good Luck @JenPen fingers and toes crossed for you xx

Having travelled from Manchester to Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Birmingham. I decided to seek extra tuition from an english teacher. Not using it enough in my job or being very academic in the first place. They helped me structure the tasks and guided me on what to look out for. The books help as does you tube and other various web sites. Good luck and stay positive.

Out of interest, what is actually involved in an IELTS?

If its questions, what is a typical question?

Keen to know, I am sure many on this forum would be interested too as it may be something they will need to go through in due course

Hi rpakey

unfortunately not, it is all random and all different, the aim is basically to read some text a page or two in length and to answer questions on that text that are about the subject matter, however, worded in an entirely different format, thus testing your understanding of English from multiple angles. It would be much easier if that was the case but alas it is not. x

Good luck hun! When's your Test?

My husband had his 5th test on Saturday he's been half a mark off reading, he found some really good tips from you tube videos that he used this time.

I'm really hoping he has done enough, I really feel for him to have to do this test! x

wow that is a lot hey!? MrJP kept failing by .5 of a mark on reading too......until we had a light-bulb moment and realised I could take the test......so now the pressure is on me. I am hoping to take it on 14th March, however, I am awaiting my passport before I part with cash as I am updating the name on it so it may well be in April which will be irritating. Good luck to your OH for Sat I hope he nails it xxx

Jen do you need the 8 for your career or the points on your visa? If it's visa points I am sure people have got the 7 academic for their career then sat the IELTS on general for the points.

Hey Jason!

Yes I need it for the points but as we have paid for MrJP to take I a few times I don't want to have to take it more than once. We have had his trade assessed 50% and he could get the 2nd half done if I fail to get 8's which will be enough for our points situ, however, I guess we will assess it at the time....I am a bit stubborn so I hope to God I do not have to re-take it (and yes if I did need to for points I certainly would do the general :wink: !! x

Keen to know, I am sure many on this forum would be interested too as it may be something they will need to go through in due course

rpakey, jenpen, others,

I presume you know it involves, reading, writing, speaking and listening.

As a native speaker, people assume it's going to be doddle, But I actually think, that as it's most likely designed to test folk with other native tongues, that it actually catches us out.

I also believe that once you fail ( not that you can of course, but i mean not get the points you require) you then second guess every answer and start to doubt yourself and then you end up putting the wrong answer down.

I did the Academic first and score 8.5-9 for all bar one, which was a 7.5. then i went on to do general exams and got worse scores then on in! Stress plays a part. ( not to mention being 35, then 37 weeks preggers, then with a new born!)

I used a few books from my local library, all have practice exams in for all the parts. Doing the practice exams really helps, with the writing, it is useful to look at the drafts they have as examples, then also see how they mark each one, it's get to get view of what they deem a 4 and 6 and an 8 and above etc etc.

My agents warned me no to be complaisant, as they had academic types that failed, while folk without academic backgrounds and high school certificate level education did just fine. So don't make the mistake of being over confident.

One of the examiners did say, that with the reading, he thought it better, not to read through the whole passage first, but to read the questions through first, then search for the answers within the text. That helped me.

I got one reading part on the general, that was a nightmare, it was on artwork and art theories from the dark ages and none of it made any sense, was totally boring and i could not make head no tail of it, there was nothing you could latch on to, or separate out to define anything, total waffle crap, whereas others i did were so easy in comparison.

What i would say, is if you have poor exam conditions which surprisingly i did with two exam's, I complained and i at least got one free. ( mobile phones going off in the room behind me during the listening exam, plus a full blown argument right by the door i was sat at, also a playground full of kids right outside the window, with the windows fully open, screaming kids galore!!!!!

Also with the listening, if you balls up and miss a question, don't ponder on it, just cancel it out and move on QUICKLY, other wise you miss loads more. very hard to do mind!

Good luck all xxx Lauren.

I just did a practice listening exercise and got engrossed in the topic :biglaugh: and then realised I had missed 5 questions - however I could still answer them all as I had actually been listening phew! Ended up with an 8..... so just speaking and writing to test my baseline! xx

hi all, well i have just re-sit my 3rd test. i find the whole thing a nightmare! for this test i actually felt really confident (after going to see an ielts tutor) and was doing well with my practice tests (i struggle with the reading tests). then came the test which went well until the reading test last passage. i ran out of time and guessed the last 10 answers so i need a miracle to pass this one !! i need 7 for skill assessment and 8 for visa. the tutor told me that non native speakers find the test easier as native speakers over analyse things or something. good luck to us all !!!

hi all, well i have just re-sit my 3rd test. i find the whole thing a nightmare! for this test i actually felt really confident (after going to see an ielts tutor) and was doing well with my practice tests (i struggle with the reading tests). then came the test which went well until the reading test last passage. i ran out of time and guessed the last 10 answers so i need a miracle to pass this one !! i need 7 for skill assessment and 8 for visa. the tutor told me that non native speakers find the test easier as native speakers over analyse things or something. good luck to us all !!!

Bless you I so hope you've passed I think the reading is the hardest too!

Do you know what I can imagine that's true we do over analyse stuff and I think the more intellectual you are the harder it become :wink: when are your results? Xxx

I hope you did and there is every chance - it really depends on the topic hey? My OH was privately educated and is intelligent (often gets ripped for working in construction or his accent) but he struggled - I don't think I'll find it easy I already find it annoying and difficult but happy to perform

As It's a much better scenario than the UK....all in no matter what - we don't have the room sadly x

If you google 'ielts practise tests', you'll get all the info you need there to help you revise xx