James84

Lost Brit in Perth

Hi to anyone reading this post. I stepped foot into Perth 5 days ago with my girlfriend we are both 30 and looking to emigrate here and both have working holiday visas. 2 days ago I had an interview with volkswagen ahg group and was offered a job as a car salesmen which has been my career for the last8 years, only problem is I don't have the correct visa, I needed a 457 working visa to complete. Really frustrating as this is not a sponsored career recognised on that particular visa. Being more than capable at most things with a professional background i.e customer service, sales and marketing, I'm desperately now trying to find work here in Perth and live the dream with my better half. If anyone has any suggestions or can help it would be greatly appreciated. I'm still here in Perth WA until the 27th. I look forward to hearing from you all the best.

If the role you do, the one you are skilled in and have experience in is not on the SOL or CSOL then there's simply no way for you to obtain a visa. Job offer or not, if you don't have the correct visa you can't work in a substantive role.

Sorry, it may not be what you want to hear but the only option you have would be to return from whence you came, retrain and gain experience in a different role and hope that in a few years time that role will be in demand and on the SOL/CSOL. That's a pretty big risk but I think it extremely unlikely car sales is ever going to be listed.

Hi mate,

I know of someone that had a car sales background and took on a Recruitment Consultant job as a temp for 6months (being on a 417 visa). Recruitment is very sales heavy and there are a lot of transferable skills.

I'd approach recruitment companies if I were you and really sell the sales component of your role. Recruitment is on the Skilled Migrant and 457 list so if you can get in there, you should be ok.

Good Luck!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Aine!
      Hi all, 
      I am currently considering moving to Perth late 2022 (all being well with the borders). I have just gained my ACA qualification and am looking for  some advise on a few things. If anyone could help I’d appreciate it. 
      1. Visa - I am unsure whether to go out there on a working holiday visa and try and get a job on the hopes of getting sponsored by an employer within the year. Or I could start the process of applying for a skilled worker visa 189, however from what I’ve learned online this seems to be a timely process and I may not even get invited to apply. 

2. Jobs - I currently have 5 years experience working in practice (1 year doing accounting technicians, 4 years doing chartered accountants exams), but have just recently gained my qualifications. I was planning on getting my qualifications assessed and transferred to chartered accountants Australia and maybe doing some CPD courses in the Australian tax system before I move. Would this help my chances in getting a job? Would my lack of post qualification experience affect me?
      If I was to take a lower level job on a working holiday visa (Assistance accountant/accounts receivable/payable) to gain experience in the country would this help with the possibility of maybe applying for the skilled worker visa while I am in the country? 

Thank you in advance for advice given, really appreciate it. 😊
      Aine
    • By NorthumbrianDavid
      I was wondering if any of the kind nurse types on here could take a look at my OH's CV and give us some pointers on how to improve it for Oz? Possibly @ali ? I've read through a few old threads but any fresh advice on job hunting would also be great. She's got lots of years ICU experience, the last two of which as a Junior Sister (Clinical Nurse?).
      Thanks
    • By HartleysHairdressing
      Hartley's Hairdressing (situated in Cottesloe) is looking for another team member! If you are determined and can contribute to our positive, enthusiastic work environment please call us now on 93852266!
      We look forward to hearing from you!
    • By N.holland86
      Hi my names Nick I am a solid plasterer and Cork Coatings applicator in the uk with a nvq level 2 and 3 and over 12 years experience I am considering getting my AQF 3 I have already started my 189 visa application and I am ready for skills assessment. What is work like for a solid plasterer over in Perth? What can I expect to earn. I am also considering getting my Plasterer’s assessors qualification. I don’t mind starting at the bottom and working my way up the ladder. 
      Any advice people and offer me will be greatly appreciated.