Accruing holidays in Australia - have to work 12 months first?!

Raychelsb

Hi everyone

So I've been working over here since November, and have tried booking some holidays, a few days when my in laws come to stay at Easter and then a few days later in the year when my parents come and stay. Its proving difficult to get these holidays signed off as apparantley over here, you have to work for a company for 12 months before you can accrue and take any holidays. I've googled this too and it does appear to be the case.

In the UK, in all the companies I worked for, you could take your leave when you wanted, even at the beginning of the holiday year, and if you left before that year was up, they just deducted the days from your last pay.

So what's everyone's experience of this? I can't understand that I have to work until November, to then get 20 days to take off. Especially given that my company also does not allow holidays from September to December due to peak trading for Christmas. So how do I take my leave after the 12 months??

My manager is trying to get this sorted for me so that I can spend some precious days with my family, so hopefully I can have a few days off to look forward to. 12 months is a long time to go without a break other than long bank holiday weekends eek!:eek:

Hi everyone

So I've been working over here since November, and have tried booking some holidays, a few days when my in laws come to stay at Easter and then a few days later in the year when my parents come and stay. Its proving difficult to get these holidays signed off as apparantley over here, you have to work for a company for 12 months before you can accrue and take any holidays. I've googled this too and it does appear to be the case.

In the UK, in all the companies I worked for, you could take your leave when you wanted, even at the beginning of the holiday year, and if you left before that year was up, they just deducted the days from your last pay.

So what's everyone's experience of this? I can't understand that I have to work until November, to then get 20 days to take off. Especially given that my company also does not allow holidays from September to December due to peak trading for Christmas. So how do I take my leave after the 12 months??

My manager is trying to get this sorted for me so that I can spend some precious days with my family, so hopefully I can have a few days off to look forward to. 12 months is a long time to go without a break other than long bank holiday weekends eek!:eek:

An employer in the UK can only allow you to take leave you've accrued in the first year of employment. You accrue a certain amount per year. They can also dictate when these holidays are taken even after the first year. Many employers are relaxed about this and you were obviously lucky to have one of these employers. I confess that my knowledge is only of UK employment law, but the Fairwork Australia website is a good one. I used to work for the British Equivilent.

Despite having to accrue holidays, when I started with my current employer they allowed you to take holidays straightaway and go into negative annual leave. This meant that any holidays accrued would be offset against your negative balance until such time you were in a positive annual leave position. It was agreed that if and when you left and you were in a negative position then this would be deducted from your wage - do they not offer you this option as it seems unreasonable for an employee to go 12 months without any sort of break (other than bank hols)? Have you discussed this with any of your colleagues to establish ehat happened with them?

Despite having to accrue holidays, when I started with my current employer they allowed you to take holidays straightaway and go into negative annual leave. This meant that any holidays accrued would be offset against your negative balance until such time you were in a positive annual leave position. It was agreed that if and when you left and you were in a negative position then this would be deducted from your wage - do they not offer you this option as it seems unreasonable for an employee to go 12 months without any sort of break (other than bank hols)? Have you discussed this with any of your colleagues to establish ehat happened with them?

No I've not spoken to colleagues, a lot of them are casual so don't get holiday entitlement anyway. I'm field based too, no office in WA, head office is over East, so only a small team over west. Sounds like I'm going to have to make the most of any few days I can get this year.

God that's rubbish, that will take a bit of getting used to. Perhap's I've been spoilt but i've always had great employers/ line managers that have had a very flexible approach. I'm used to 28 days leave as well.... that's clearly not going to happen!!

Hope all's well with you and the job is going ok apart from the leave that is.

Guest Guest6235

I've just been offered a Production Managers job, it was only my second job I'd applied for so was pretty happy. I got a text yesterday from the guy who interviewed last week now saying that they will be shutting down for 8 days next Chrismas + bank hols, they only give 20 days hols per year!!! This would obviously leave only 12 days to take off in 11 1/2 months with your family!!! He also stressed in the text that I will probably be doing more than 55 hours a week (salary paid + std working week 38 hours) plus the time getting up on a morning and getting out the door, again where is that family time people talk about? People who say they want more quality time just be careful, as it would obviously depend on what job you do.

A lot of companies and building industry workers shutdown over xmas, it's mainly retailers that don't, when you take that 8 days at xmas and add the public holidays works out about 2 weeks off including weekends I think. Are you sure that those 8 days come off the 20 days? seems unusual not to have the usual 4 weeks annual leave a year in total.

Guest Guest6235

The 4 weeks annual leave includes the 8 days shut down, if it didn't they would have 20 days plus the 8 days giving 28 days hols + bank hols which i would be happy about. I clarified this with him.

Guest Guest6235

Below is a text I've just received from him after clarifying with him yet again. I've just looked at the calendar and if I've read it correctly where the bank hols would fall then this would leave 5 days to take during the rest of the year. I think I know my response.

When we shut down over Xmas this will come out from the 20 day allocation this year we plan to shut down around the 22 nd and reopen on the 18 th jan

This will only be set nearer to the end of November

I've just been offered a Production Managers job, it was only my second job I'd applied for so was pretty happy. I got a text yesterday from the guy who interviewed last week now saying that they will be shutting down for 8 days next Chrismas + bank hols, they only give 20 days hols per year!!! This would obviously leave only 12 days to take off in 11 1/2 months with your family!!! He also stressed in the text that I will probably be doing more than 55 hours a week (salary paid + std working week 38 hours) plus the time getting up on a morning and getting out the door, again where is that family time people talk about? People who say they want more quality time just be careful, as it would obviously depend on what job you do.

People have said in the past

It has been reported numerous times the the average hours worked are the highest in Australia of all OECD countries.

20 leave is the standard in Oz. I have never seen a role offering more and it is standard to have a large chunk of them used by compulsory christmas shut down.

It always makes me wonder how much people research when they say they are moving for more family time.

Guest Guest6235

A shutdown is great at that time of the year and works well with my wife's job, the downside is when a company has a shutdown for 15 days leaving only 5 more to take off in the remaining 11 months.

I wouldn't be put off by stormys post,

It all depends on the industry you work in,

Back in the UK people would think I had a great life, with my company I was salary paid and I worked 28hrs for 6months(summer) and 45hrs in the winter to average out to 37hrs a week for the year,

Problem was all the time off in the summer was boring with the wife working and the little man still at nursery( couldn't take him out of we would lose his place) so I ended up doing overtime, pointless having more time off if I can't spend it with loved ones,

Winter was great money due to lots of OT but hours was horrendous sometimes working 21 days straight, again. I family time,

Moved to Oz, work Monday to Friday 37hr week, no standby at nights and no weekend work, get to see the little man off to school, and come home to having time at night with the family also have every weekend to ourselves!

My wife's family live here and they work in different industries and the only difference is office workers seem to work long hours and tradies start earlier but finish earlier,

Stormy has a point in regards to research, just remember you are moving to another country that still has the basic principles of any other country, you need to work to live unfortunately, BUT come Friday you know near enough for certain you can plan a good wkend that involves sun, gorgeous beaches, bbq's, beer and family time! (Industry depending)

Edited by steven_gers

Guest Guest6235

Lol Steven, I'm already here in Perth, we've been here since end of December. If we'd listened to most of the comments here and elsewhere (research) we would have most likely of moved without either of us having a job as so many had said most places won't employ with us still being in the UK. My wife applied for 5 jobs from the uk and was offered 4 lol. She now has a well paid job, it's only now I'm able to start looking as we've found a daycare centre that can accommodate our daughter full time at the drop of a hat, at the moment she goes once or twice a week and half of fees we can claim back with having a PR visa, amazing. Also when we don't take her to daycare during holidays etc we don't have to pay for it, unlike in England. We don't actually find it much more expensive living here if you're clever. Luckily I'm doing a bit of work remotely for someone back in uk and tomorrow I'm out gardening with somebody that has a business who I've got to know for a daily rate. I'm going to look into my own business also. We sat at Sorrento beach the other night from 6-7.30, that was great.......although it's not all roses over here!!!

Edited by Guest6235

Ha ha, didn't realise that you are here, thought you had been lucky enough to secure employment before you came,

Yeah me and my wife who's from Perth secured work before we left the UK. But I had applied for a few jobs 6months before we were due to leave and didn't hear a thing back, but started applying again 2weeks before we were due to leave and heard back and secured a job, then we both landed applied for another job with better conditions etc and both got better jobs,

IMO there is plenty of jobs if you are coming over not looking to work in the mines!

Even the locals who don't work in the mines and have lived here all their lives (wife's family and friends) don't understand why there is such a focus on the mines slowing down, it's never effected the infrastructure of Perths travel industry and normal working industry, and they are hoping that the house prices level out and food/drink prices come down, they are seeing the mining doom and gloom as a good thing for the average worker!

So far the roses are good for us but then again we've had a head start with my wife's parents and best friends out here and both getting jobs,

But I'd say to any1 give Oz a go if you are here with a realistic head on your shoulders,

Glad you told that guy to shove his job, 55hrs a week ain't healthy!