primary teacher at wits end!

Fifer4

Hoping somebody will have some pearls of wisdom.We moved out in May last year and are sponsored by Wa on my primary teaching skills. Plan was for hubby to get a job and then once we were settled and kids all organised I would start looking. After navigating the system that is like a secret society I finally got all the paperwork in place. I've emailed all the schools in our city plus the two surrounding about relief work. Such a complicated system compared to Scotland. Some haven't replied but I've started to get some work through. Problem is I am applying for all the jobs that come up and getting no where. I've tried emailing the school and asking for improvement and business plans and tailored my covering letter to highlight my experience in these areas but not helping. Relief teaching isn't ideal with two small children but is a means to an end. How do people actually get into teaching contract? So glad we weren't relying on my employment or we would have had to of returned to UK. Can't believe it's still on skills on demand list when jobs are so tight.l

I am not sure about teaching but i am find the same sort of thing with Air Conditioning and refrigeration technical, the long and short of mine is i have to go back to being a trainee even with 24 years experiance and be on trainee money for up to a year, could be painful. Same as you i cant see the point in being on the list if you can not work and have to retrain.

Australia has had a significant over supply of primary teacher for some years. There has been lots of news coverage about this for a long time including the difficulties new gradates have in securing work. It is situation that is expected to get worse as there are increasing numbers of people studying to do it - several universities have had to add extra courses to keep up with demand.

Yeah I'm on the bottom of pay scale as well as probably bottom of every other list. I'm currently applying to get my previous experience regocognised. Suppose just having a down day and feeling pretty devalued when I know I'm good at my job. It really knocks your confidence. I'm sure it will all turn out as rest of our life out here is great!

Education has experienced some major cuts particularly in primary were this year students in year 7 started High school - so primary schools lost a whole year group

I was about to post the same thing. I cannot understand why immigration had this occupation on this list given what was coming.

A friend of mine off this forum came over last April as a primary school teacher on a 190 state sponsored visa. She also found it difficult but circulated her cv to all the local primaries. Luckily there's a lot of growth in primary schools in our local area and she managed to get some supply teaching which led to a full time post.

I was about to post the same thing. I cannot understand why immigration had this occupation on this list given what was coming.

There is very little correlation between the occupation lists and actual demand. For example, my occupation is still on the CSOL. This is despite our professional body cally for it to be removed and the occupation having 40% unemployment rate. Accountancy has been long anticipated to be removed due to a massive oversupply of accountants. Yet, it is still on the SOL