Teacher of Special Education and Theatre Nurse looking to immigrate to Perth

VJ Ca

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are considering (and my wee boy) immigrating to Perth. Both our occupations appear to be in demand (I am a Teacher of Special Needs/Education Support and she’s a Theatre Nurse). My wife’s cousin also lives in WA.

I was wondering if someone could help answer a few questions for us both?

1) Is it best to work for a private or state hospital?

2) My occupation is in demand but haven't came across any jobs on the WA education website. Am I looking in the wrong place?

3) I have been a teacher for ten years and my wife has been a nurse for nine years. I was wondering how much we would earn?

4) Could we afford a house with a pool, couple of cars and still have enough money left over to do things we do here e.g. holidays, clubs for my wee boy, going out for lunch/dinner etc.?

5) Are you glad you made the move?

6) What do you do for childcare?

7) Did you use an agent?

We are looking to live close to my wife's cousin. Probably near Butler or thereabouts.

Sorry about all the questions but we need to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Welcome to PP, I have no experience of your professions but I'll offer my perspective.

It probably depends on your criteria. "Best"? would mean different things for different people and I'm sure there are benefits and pitfalls for each option. There are plenty of healthcare staff on here so hopefully someone will be able to advise

2) My occupation is in demand but haven't came across any jobs on the WA education website. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Try Seek.com too or you could approach the providers directly for advice. Have you researched prospective employers and contacted them? Public sector funding will likely come in for a massive hammering over the next few years as the economy slows and undoubtedly the woefully underfunded MH and education sectors will be hit hard.

3) I have been a teacher for ten years and my wife has been a nurse for nine years. I was wondering how much we would earn?
No idea, sorry, I can't help with that one

4) Could we afford a house with a pool, couple of cars and still have enough money left over to do things we do here e.g. holidays, clubs for my wee boy, going out for lunch/dinner etc.?
There are so many variables with this one I wouldn't know where to begin. I guess if this is important to you then you'll find a way to make it happen. All I'd say is to come with an open mind. I think a lot of people aspire to this but when they get here and achieve it they realise it's not necessarily the thing that makes them happy.

5) Are you glad you made the move?
Yes, absolutely, best thing we've ever done and we're now looking forward to becoming citizens with no intention of returning to the UK.

6) What do you do for childcare?
Fortunately our kids were school/kindy age when we came and finding a place for them was easy. We made a great circle of friends pretty quickly and we've never felt in need. This isn't the same for everyone but if you have family here that will provide a fantastic opportunity for you to build networks very quickly.

7) Did you use an agent?
No but our route was likely quite different to yours. All I would say is please make sure that you use a registered migration agent. Most will provide some free advice and give you a good understanding of your position.

Good luck, I hope someone can do a better job than I of advising.

Can answer one or two of your questions -

I'd suggest you go where ever you get a job

Govt schools don't have senco's in the UK sense of the word, or the old style remedial teacher. The school are given money for one and it is up to them how they spend it and it is usually employing a couple more teacher assistants. There are a few 'special schools' for special needs kids but like the UK, these have been reduced substantially and they are more into integration, or schools have ed support units attached to the school. Catholic education is separate from the Govt department and all Catholic schools are private. Most have a senco - more likely to be called learning support coordinator and many have units attached. All their special ed jobs are advertised on the Catholic education web site. they prefer to employ Catholics but took me, a non Catholic atheist so don't rule it out! Jobs are advertised here - http://internet.ceo.wa.edu.au/Employment/Pages/Vacancies.aspx

Many of the private schools also have special ed units attached and/or learning support teachers. They would advertise in the Western Australian on a Saturday, sometimes a Wednesday.

http://det.wa.edu.au/careers/detcms/navigation/teachers-and-school-leaders/employment-conditions/salaries-and-teaching-levels/

Private schools pay more

4) Could we afford a house with a pool, couple of cars and still have enough money left over to do things we do here e.g. holidays, clubs for my wee boy, going out for lunch/dinner etc.? depends where you live - further out you go the cheaper it is in general.

5) Are you glad you made the move? Yes, 17 years and counting - kids now in Uni and Aussie through and through.

6) What do you do for childcare? We used students to pick them up from school and keep them happy and safe until we came home. Students have very limited contact hours so most have part time jobs and some of the students we used are still good family friends.

7) Did you use an agent? no, some do, some do it themselves.

I work in public hospital don't think any is 'best', but agree that look at jobs for both.

I think teachers have to have a 4 year degree here. I know that my sons HS has a special education unit attached to it

If your wife gets a level one job in public (with her 9 year experience), she will probably be at the top end of the Level one pay scale which is $60,734 - $79,920. The place to look for nursing in the public secotor is jobs WA.

As others have said, it depends on where you live regarding the affordability of having a pool

Our local primary school has a before/after school club attached to it. During holidays there are holiday clubs etc.

We're glad we made the move - we've loved living in WA.