Scary news for teachers - any more info?

Hi,

I've just seen this piece of news. I'm so sorry for 200 teachers and education staff affected, my heart goes out to them all. Does anyone have anymore info on this? It's a scary prospect as a secondary teacher who is currently planning moving across from the UK. How would you rate the mid/long term prospects for finding a teaching post? We're concerned that we couldn't cope financially without me earning, so need to consider the impact of this news carefully before going any further forward.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/teacher-redundancy-over-200-wa-education-staff-face-job-decision/story-fnhocxo3-1227327361010

Thanks.

The state government announced these cuts months ago. Though, most people are expecting a lot more to come at the budget next month. The federal government have already warned the fed budget will contain cuts to health and education. The state budget will likely see more as the state has a big financial black hole.

Hi,

I've just seen this piece of news. I'm so sorry for 200 teachers and education staff affected, my heart goes out to them all. Does anyone have anymore info on this? It's a scary prospect as a secondary teacher who is currently planning moving across from the UK. How would you rate the mid/long term prospects for finding a teaching post? We're concerned that we couldn't cope financially without me earning, so need to consider the impact of this news carefully before going any further forward.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/teacher-redundancy-over-200-wa-education-staff-face-job-decision/story-fnhocxo3-1227327361010

Thanks.

The real number of EA's (Education Assistants) facing redundancy is actually over 400.

There was a meeting in the city last week for all redeployees who have not yet found new jobs within the department. They met with their caseworkers who will continue to try and find an opening for them at another school. The problem is that other schools are mostly independent now and are under no obligation to take them, they advertise for their own staff, if and when needed. The same applies to the redeployment of permanent teaching staff.

The EA's were offered voluntary redundancy a few months ago, but now the game has changed once more and they are now facing forced redundancy.

The redeployees have been in limbo for well over a year now as they officially lost their permanent positions at the end of 2013. However, the government continued to keep them at the same schools and pay wages. Most schools in WA are now independent, this means that the schools are responsible for their own finances and payment of salaries.

Permanency means nothing now and everybody is at risk. At this point in time it relates more to EA's (Education Assistants), but primary teachers too will face this.

**Secondary teachers are in a much better position because of the year 7's moving to high school at the beginning of this year for the first time. Maths, Design and Technology and Science are the key subjects in demand. English is not too bad either.

Primary school teachers have been retraining in secondary areas under a government initiative. LOTE teachers are also at risk as WA is the only state to remove funding, despite the fact that it forms part of the new national curriculum.

Education is at risk and the funding cuts were and are brutal.

Fun times in WA.

Edited by Sammy1

Guest Guest6235

My missus is a secondary school Maths teacher NOR and she was on the standard years contract which they seem to offer Teachers here, but last week she was offered a permanent contract for next year (whether that means much). A lot of other industries seem to be pretty messed up over here. I know of 3 families who have come over here in the last 6 months & the sole earner has been made redundant. One of them who lives behind us and is a Mechanical Engineer said they wouldn't have bothered coming here if they knew it was going to be this bad.....I feel it's just the start.

My missus is a secondary school Maths teacher NOR and she was on the standard years contract which they seem to offer Teachers here, but last week she was offered a permanent contract for next year (whether that means much). A lot of other industries seem to be pretty messed up over here. I know of 3 families who have come over here in the last 6 months & the sole earner has been made redundant. One of them who lives behind us and is a Mechanical Engineer said they wouldn't have bothered coming here if they knew it was going to be this bad.....I feel it's just the start.

That's really excellent news for you and your wife. Maths teachers are pretty safe and always in demand, she should be fine.

I agree though,I know yet another family who are making their way back to the UK soon, not because they want to, but because their 457 has not led to PR. They have tried and tried, sad for them as the kids were little when they came and they are now well settled in school.They are devastated.

Again, everybody on forums assumes a 457 will lead to PR, I have seen it too many times now where it has not, heartbreaking for those that cannot stay.

Having said that I know somebody else who has just got a $184,000, not particularly skilled job, in the mines. It's a funny old world.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you all for your replies. Congratulations to Mrs Keefo!

I sat my IELTS today, so everything is starting to feel real. Fingers crossed the job market is kind to me next year. In the meantime I hope the people affected by this news get a favourable outcome one way or another.