Jump to content

Secondary secondary teacher advice needed please!!!

Recommended Posts

Hi all!


I have currently been teaching for 5 years in the UK and moving to Perth next September (Fingers crossed!!)


I currently teach maths to pupils aged 11-16. I know schools in Oz go up to Year 12 which is currently our A-level. However I have no experience of teaching 16-18 and I am not sure I would feel confident teaching with out some retraining.


Is it possible to apply / secure a post just teaching Year 7-10? Or am I really reducing my chances by not having this experience?


Any advice on this please or general advice on teaching in WA would be massively appreciated.



Edited by missp

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say specifically on transferring your qualifications...but...I am going to be doing my Masters in Secondary Education when I get to Aus and I know that you must take a 'major' subject, that requires a certain amount of level 3 degree work in the subject - and you can teach that subject to year 12. You then also take a 'minor' which allows you to teach the second subject to year 10.


So what I am saying is I think the schools would expect you to be able to teach your subject to year 12. You should check out the WA teaching website as each states requirements do vary and maybe speak to a uni - I'm looking at uni of WA - about whether they can offer you any modules to bring you up to speed for year 12 teaching. I would also assume that WA is as desperate as most other places for maths teachers so maybe none of what I've said will matter!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Missp


You should be ok have you looked at any schools yet?


High schools have now taken in year 7s which means there are currently surplus primary school teachers and some spaces in high schools but it is difficult to know what the situation will look like next year. As for teaching keep in mind some schools split themselves between lower 7-9 and upper 10-12. But as Monkey2645 states there will probably be an expectation for you to cover year 12 depending on staffing you'll need to check this out. From experience I do know they will support you so dont worry to much.


Not sure if you know much about WA education but jobs are advertised on here http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au


Full school directory here http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au


Keep an eye out for new schools either just built or a few years old as they will be growing for example check out Joseph Banks Secondary College a new school in the northern subs they will be recruiting most of next year. Jobs tend to be advertised Sept to Dec for start of semester 1 and April to June for semester 2. Contact the school principle direct most jobs have a contact dont be shy ask, most will be looking for forward thinking staff and they love a positive attitude!


All the best

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for your advise it really is appreciated! I haven't started to look at any schools in particular. I have however registered with a teaching agency who recruits for secondary school teachers and they have also offered the same advice :) I am going to spend the year whilst applying for the visa refreshing my knowledge on the year 12 math needed :) xx

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Jaymini
      Can anyone please help me. Have been trying to get an electrical post for over two years with no luck. All I want to do is complete my gap training so I can do my final exam. I have applied for job after job! Talked to companies and sent emails. 
      There is literally no company that will give you a chance if you are qualified from the UK. Yet it’s ok for the system to take your money for courses and make it so difficult to get your qualification. All everyone wants is an AGrade licence, TAFE wants practical experience so how’s that even possible! It’s a situation that is so frustrating. 
    • By gengusthethird
      Hi All,
      I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
      I am living in Perth, WA and trying to find electrical work to gain the "A grade electrical licence".
      I hold a provisional electrical licence and require "gap training" before I am allowed to take the required capstone exam.
      I have been in Perth for almost 5 years. I tried to get a job when I first arrived with no luck. As a result of this I started working international in the oil & Gas. I am now trying again and facing the same problems I did 5 years ago. I have pretty much applied to every company, agency and rope access company with only one company offering me a start, unfortunately he didn't want to pay me.
      Unfortunately most companies in WA are not aware of the process for a overseas electrician to gain an Australian electrical license and have no interest in employing a overseas qualified electrician. They simply prefer to employ a Australian qualified electrician or an apprentice.
      I have done some Australian courses and licences such as
      EEHA, High risk work, MSIC, White card
      If anyone can help with regards contacts etc it will be greatly appreciated.
    • By nicolac34
      We will be moving to South Guildford next year and I'm trying to do a bit of research on schools. We have a 2 year old and one on the way currently.
      We will be in the catchment for Guildford Primary and Woodbridge Primary as public schools, but I know there are a few private options dotted around. Just wondered if anyone had experiences of the public offerings? We wouldn't be looking into sending them to a religious school, which I know counts out many private ones given they are mostly catholic!
    • By Chelsea G
      Hi everybody
       Apologies if this topic has already been covered and answered!
      I have lived in Perth for 4 years and after 4 years of working in senior management, saving for my wedding and building a house I am now in the process of obtaining my non-practicing teaching registration.
      I had gathered and submitted everything that they needed to process the application 3 weeks ago, bar, a police clearance less than 12 months old from the UK (this I have applied for). Or so I thought…
      I did a 3 year BA (Hons) which I graduated from in 2007 and then in 2010 (after a period of working and saving to do the course) I began my Post Graduate Diploma in Education at The University of Bolton which I completed in July 2011.  My course only provided me with 30 days SUPERVISED TEACHING (as in I was only observed in the classroom by my mentor, 30 times and it was at the end of the course signed off on and the rest of the teaching practice (7 months, 4 days per week, full-time teaching) was carried out non-supervised and therefore I can only evidence 30 days which is UNDER the minimum requirement of 45 days in Australia. I joined New Directions Education Agency in summer 2011 and stayed with them until I left the UK to move to Perth in Oct 2013. 
      I have obtained a reference from New Directions Education Agency (my employer) and it lists my schools of which I worked within, the exact dates to and from on a letter headed document (as requested) and this is now deemed not enough evidence to support my application despite it saying I worked for them as a relief teacher and the dates.
      They now want me to contact every secondary school I worked for (as far back as 2011 and in some cases some schools I worked in for a little as a day) and ask them to provide evidence of my work and evidence of the SUBJECTS I taught in the school itself. Once again, let my reiterate that I have got evidence of the schools and the exact dates I worked for them from my employer. This evidence taken me 4 weeks to obtain from New Directions due to me leaving them 4 years ago and the work was carried out in some cases nearly 6 years ago.  
      I have contacted every school I have worked for as recommended by the TRBWA in the hope that they have some sort of record but I am not holding out for any responses and if they do respond I am most certainly not holding out for any record of my subjects I taught as a relief teacher.
      I am wondering firstly…
      Are these types of records from schools, something schools keep? Does the evidence from the employer (teaching agency) seem sufficient as it lists the schools themselves and the dates? Is there perhaps any other method of obtaining information?
      Secondly has anybody else found themselves in a similar/ or the same issue?
      I am finding this process difficult to conquer as I can’t/finding it difficult to evidence what they need further to support what I have already evidenced.
      Any help/guidance/clarity of shared experiences would be greatly appreciated…as will words of sympathy!
      Thank you