HELP, car about to arrive

odies

hi, anyone who has brought there car over, could you help with how i register etc.

just trying to have a heads up as the container arrives on friday. Thanks in advance, not bothered about cost more what I do and where i need to go.

Hi...I just did it about 6 weeks ago. Search for my posts as I think I put it in detail when it was fresh in my mind. Basically, our car had to be fumigated (knew it was dirty so no surprise) so I had to pick it up from the fumigation centre in Welshpool (think that's where it was). I think steps were:

1. when your car has cleared customs ring DOT and get a transfer permit (need to buy one each time you move the car) and book an inspection (do it all on phone at same time). I wasn't able to do it for the same day so I had to pick up car, drive it home, then the next day I had to drive to inspection centre. I didn't have insurance until the car was registered - bit terrifying if I'm honest - but rang two insurers who wouldn't insure the car until it was registered so I decided to take the risk. The transfer permit will cover for 3rd party - but check all that out yourself.

2. take car to inspection centre. You need import plates which come from over east so they won't pass the car the first time. I took the car to Osborne Park and it was very quick. The inspector told me what to do next - said it would take 5 to 7 days to get the plates which it did. Then he told me to bring the car back for final inspection (no further cost).

3. after first inspection send off forms to Niddrie Nameplates - you can pay online but you need to ring them to organise.

4. take car back for inspection. It should pass then you can register the car AT THE SAME PLACE (I thought I'd have to drive somewhere else to register). Once it was registered I sat in my car and rang the insurance company (already had a saved quote) and insured the car. Then had to fix the number plates to the car myself which was tricky, but you can drive off and do it at home if you need to (which is what I did).

Edited by Laz

Hi just being nosey but why did you decide to ship car rather than buy when you arrived

Regards

Phil

depends on your car but our car was only 2 yrs old so would have lost money selling it in the UK, then forked out a fortune for a replacement here. We wouldn't have been buying such a nice car had we had to buy when we arrived (too many other costs). I don't think we saved a huge amount (if anything) but at least we have our own second hand car and not someone else's.

thanks Laz, it was the registration bit I was getting stuck when reading the DOT website. So the only main bit of paperwork is the temp. registration, then get a rego mand the same place will register it. seems a lot easier than when I was in the uk reading about it. I will keep in touch if that is ok if i get stuck THANKS

Hi just being nosey but why did you decide to ship car rather than buy when you arrived

Regards

Phil

we too had a newish car, and my hubby wanted to bring < i have to do the hard bit > I know we did not bring it for making money but we know the car and it saves us looking around , plus it wasn't that much more expensive in the container.

thanks Laz, it was the registration bit I was getting stuck when reading the DOT website. So the only main bit of paperwork is the temp. registration, then get a rego mand the same place will register it. seems a lot easier than when I was in the uk reading about it. I will keep in touch if that is ok if i get stuck THANKS

All you need to rego it is your UK V5 logbook, your "Passed" inspection cert, and the final copy of the "Import Permit" and about $700 for 12 months rego, and dont forget your WA drivers Licence

• 3 weeks later...

just tried for car insurance, if it helps anyone if it is a car import and it is a normal car , ours is a BMW, we found AAMI will insure us and with no rego at the moment, this allows us to drive and not worry. The biggest plus the quote was half of Shannans and SGIO. We just update with the rego number when we have it.

just tried for car insurance, if it helps anyone if it is a car import and it is a normal car , ours is a BMW, we found AAMI will insure us and with no rego at the moment, this allows us to drive and not worry. The biggest plus the quote was half of Shannans and SGIO. We just update with the rego number when we have it.

Odies, you might want to double check with AAMI, they initially insured my imported Mini Cabriolet, but when I asked them the question again, they double checked, came back and said no, they could not insure an import, even though it was stock standard and a model freeely available here in Aus

thanks Druid , just waiting for a call back to ask. Also why do you have to send off to niddrie for your Rego ? when it can be done in Joondalup. I have the car booked in at Welshpool tomorrow so fingers crossed.[/QUO

Niddrie Nameplates is where you get the import sticker thing they put on the car (can't remember what it's called - compliance plate, I think). I think you'll find you can't get that in Joondalup so they'll fail you until you get the compliance sticker from Niddrie which is over east. That's good you didn't need cleaning! I think that added $500 for our car. I insured with SGIO but I never actually told them it was a personal import. None of the insurers I rang asked and there was nothing online to say they wouldn't insure the car...

thanks so much Laz, really helpful. we have gone with sgio told them it was an import, nearly fell over at the cost

I wonder if I'd have had to pay more if I said it was a personal import - silly really, as they're all imports! I just looked up what I paid - just over $700 to insure for $42k with basic excess.

Laz, Odies, most insurance fine print does state that the car has to comply with Aussie ADR's, and be an Australian model, as your car doesnt have an ADR Plate attached to the chassis, it doesnt comply, Shannons & SGIO dont have the same fine print most of the other insurers have, but it would be wise to tell them, should you have a claim and they discover its not a 'Standard' Aussie car, they will be within their rights to withhold payment, the AAMI telesales person took the time to 'Quote' the fine print too me.

I found Shannons to be cheaper than SGIO, I insured with SGiO for 3 years before switching to Shannons

• 2 weeks later...