How long before the WA economy picks up?

Hey guys,

Myself and my partner will be booking our flights out in the next few days (she wants to fly Nov 2015 and me Feb 2016 - which is wiser?) and I'm just wanting to know whether or not the economy is expected to have picked up at all by then as all I ever seem to read about on here nowadays is the lack of jobs, which is alarming.

For what it's worth, I have experience working with steel - using manual machinery and some CNC (drills, punch presses, laser cutters) - and also have some welding qualifictaions, although they're unlikely to be recognised oug there.

All opionions welcome.

Gary.

How long is a piece of string?

WA decided to tie itself to China and base it very much on minerals.

China doesn't want as many minerals / it's economy is showing major issues. What it does want, other countries are stepping in. Vale, the worlds biggest miner has announced it will be supplying China with high grade iron ore from Brazil soon at quantities bigger than the australian miners combined.

Th state debt has blown out and so lay offs in the public sector are now happening rapidly.

my mate in Bunbury is doing ok … he was in mining but now doing scaffolding on sites , he keeps dropping on stuff and hes doing ok - Also he keeps his misus and 4 kids , so alot to take care of.

But hes in with a lot of Aussies and seems to network quite well.

So i say chance it …… wots the worst that could happen ??? apart from abit of sunburn ;o)

Yeah @Laz, Feb definitely seems the wiser option to me, especially as I've been told that a lot businesses close down in the run up to Christmas and don't start employing again until mid January.

And aye, @pegg, that's the attitude we're rolling with. There will always be obsticles with something like this, we've just got to make sure we clear them.

Pish,

We arrived in January, we have family and a small group of friends, my wife and I got offered job before we arrived and we both applied for more jobs when we arrived and we have had our pick,

My wife recently decided to apply for another job (on Sunday just past) interview on Wednesday, offered the job on Thursday, not even the same job sector she's been in for 14years,

Me I got a job before I left the UK and I need 3 different tickets(plumbing and gas) and I've got none just yet, in the process, and I've got a great job, salary, company van that I can use personally and my wife can use aswell,

Rentals are getting cheaper aswell, so that's a bonus right now,

We came with $7000 initially, bought a car for $4k enrolled on my gas course for $2k and have transferred a little more since then,

I've been reading this forum since way before I arrived it's the same story for the last 4/5 years most people paint a doom and gloom picture australia is on a down fall etc,

It's not the case seek.com.au is full of jobs,

My advise is come here asap and come with an open mind,

Book yourself into tafe and get your welding tickets done, as Oz have tickets for everything,

My opinion in a summary

Glad we've moved, we live in a 3/2 decent garden, double garage, and live happily not really worrying about money and our combined salary is below $140,000 with a child in kindy and before school and after,

Don't come here expecting a massive house, flash car and 5bed house with a swimming pool and you'll do just fine!!

See you soon buddy

Ps the grass is a shade greener but it's never the shade of green you want

Pish,

We arrived in January, we have family and a small group of friends, my wife and I got offered job before we arrived and we both applied for more jobs when we arrived and we have had our pick,

My wife recently decided to apply for another job (on Sunday just past) interview on Wednesday, offered the job on Thursday, not even the same job sector she's been in for 14years,

Me I got a job before I left the UK and I need 3 different tickets(plumbing and gas) and I've got none just yet, in the process, and I've got a great job, salary, company van that I can use personally and my wife can use aswell,

Rentals are getting cheaper aswell, so that's a bonus right now,

We came with $7000 initially, bought a car for $4k enrolled on my gas course for $2k and have transferred a little more since then,

I've been reading this forum since way before I arrived it's the same story for the last 4/5 years most people paint a doom and gloom picture australia is on a down fall etc,

It's not the case seek.com.au is full of jobs,

My advise is come here asap and come with an open mind,

Book yourself into tafe and get your welding tickets done, as Oz have tickets for everything,

My opinion in a summary

Glad we've moved, we live in a 3/2 decent garden, double garage, and live happily not really worrying about money and our combined salary is below $140,000 with a child in kindy and before school and after,

Don't come here expecting a massive house, flash car and 5bed house with a swimming pool and you'll do just fine!!

See you soon buddy

Ps the grass is a shade greener but it's never the shade of green you want

Hallelujah! Finally a positive Pom, who lives in the real world!

Christ, that's great going, @steven_gers!

We also have kids, who will be aged 5 and 3 on arrival. Don't expect a flashy lifestyle, just a reasonable house and a more relaxed environment than back here in the UK.

Rentals prices certainly seem to be in the tenants favour atm, so that's great too. My only real concern is finding work, but if we can do even half as well as yourself and your partner then I'll be delighted.

Any idea what sort of cost I'd be looking at to get my tickets before arriving?

Edited by TheMackemSlayer
Mistake

If you have a place to stay until you get on your feet you're laughing, a lot of peeps on here have had to fiend for themselves when they've emigrated! So the stress levels are through roof, and when they paint this picture that australia is awesome and it's paved with golden pavements to their families and when it turns out harder than expected (imo) they like to jump on the negatives and try and destroy other people's dreams,

If you had been coming for a job solely based on mines etc I'd say hold off for a while, but you have several different skill sets that I'm sure you'll find work,

Regarding tickets, don't waste any money in the UK getting skills recognised etc unless you are required to for immigration purposes,

Just get in touch with challenger tafe or

Polytechnic west colleges - Google them and fire them an email with your skills etc and see if you can get them transferred etc and they'll give you a rough price

Okay cool, thanks for the advice buddy. I'll get in touch with them and see what they say. Would certainly prefer to do the training in Oz if necessary.

I know everyone says this but Seek.com.au seems packed with jobs. I would literally take anything above $25 an hour to start with while I try to find something better.

I'm sure all the doom gloomers live in the real world, but it's certainly nice to see a positive post. Hopefully people will come over with a bit of savings and will be able to benefit in cheaper rental prices. I guess coming over from the UK now you need an open mind, be realistic and to remain positive.

Hey guys,

Myself and my partner will be booking our flights out in the next few days (she wants to fly Nov 2015 and me Feb 2016 - which is wiser?) and I'm just wanting to know whether or not the economy is expected to have picked up at all by then as all I ever seem to read about on here nowadays is the lack of jobs, which is alarming.

For what it's worth, I have experience working with steel - using manual machinery and some CNC (drills, punch presses, laser cutters) - and also have some welding qualifictaions, although they're unlikely to be recognised oug there.

All opionions welcome.

Gary.

Flight cost wise, both times are good. Late Feb, and the planes should be empty too on both times. Feb means you will miss the summer in Perth, (very nice till may though), and it will give you time to get used to it. But Nov means you will miss the cold and dark of winter in the UK. Economy won't matter. Boom is over, and won't go crazy for some time. There will be work, just lots of competition. 15,000 will go far if you have support, but you will have to be very careful.

I'm sure all the doom gloomers live in the real world, but it's certainly nice to see a positive post. Hopefully people will come over with a bit of savings and will be able to benefit in cheaper rental prices. I guess coming over from the UK now you need an open mind, be realistic and to remain positive.

I think I might be one of those doom and gloomers! From the above posts I'm guessing quite a few of the non-doom and gloomers are tradespeople!? Maybe there's work for trades, although building will slow down so I imagine that will subside, however, for those that work in professions/office based it's very slow....

If you have a place to stay until you get on your feet you're laughing, a lot of peeps on here have had to fiend for themselves when they've emigrated! So the stress levels are through roof, and when they paint this picture that australia is awesome and it's paved with golden pavements to their families and when it turns out harder than expected (imo) they like to jump on the negatives and try and destroy other people's dreams,

If you had been coming for a job solely based on mines etc I'd say hold off for a while, but you have several different skill sets that I'm sure you'll find work,

Regarding tickets, don't waste any money in the UK getting skills recognised etc unless you are required to for immigration purposes,

Just get in touch with challenger tafe or

Polytechnic west colleges - Google them and fire them an email with your skills etc and see if you can get them transferred etc and they'll give you a rough price

I wouldn't say there was any trying to 'destroy other people's dreams'.... But it's a fact that it's not a great time to come, unless you have work lined up, so better to be prepared mentally and financially before taking the plunge.

We arrived here on 31.12.14. DH had a job. We found a great rental (which we are now breaking lease on) We furnished the house with new stuff (now trying to sell it all) and sold everything in the UK. The plan was to enjoy January and start school and work in Febuary. January was great. However when real life was about to start we found that the business had no work for DH. As our visa did not require him to start until April, we thought ok, it will be very tight, but we can manage. He was able to do a second job. He has applied for all sorts both in his field and everything else, with no luck. We are going back on 23.6.15. Not because we don't love Australia, but because we are fast running out of money and because we have had more positive responses from job applications in the UK. We feel that for us this was not the right time and maybe in a year or so things here will be different.

Hey guys,

All opionions welcome.

Gary.

Unless you have a job to start in November I wouldnt be in a hurry to get here and start looking for jobs, the job market seems to go dormant Dec -Jan, picks up again in Feb, so if you have a choice Feb is a better bet.

I think it also depends on what industry you are in, when the UK was hit hard i had just started a business which thrived all the way through the recession, yes there may well be doom and gloom for some people, but not all.

As other have said i would do some research before you come out.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. And for the record, I don't for one second believe that any of you are trying to put me off. I'm actually pleased to be told some hard truths.

Anyway, with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, hopefully we'll be okay. I've already started using Google to make a list of potential employers to contact in the few weeks running up to our flights. Got 12 so far, hopefully it'll be as long as my arm by the time I need to start applying.

Of course, that alone may not be enough to get me a job, which brings me to another question: would it be worth having a CV written by professionals? I mean, I'm pretty happy with mine atm anyway but then I've not seen how they differ in Oz.