TheMackemSlayer

How long before the WA economy picks up?

Hi steven,

im a plumber who is looking at moving late next year,so this post gives me a boost as ive also been hearing about the lack of jobs etc.

ive been self-employed for last 10 years but im not gas safe registered,i have completed gas safe training but not taken exam due to needing funds for the visas etc,would you say that i should do exam or wait till i arrive there,any advice would be great..

Good to hear its all going well for a fellow plumber.

Rob.

Hi steven,

im a plumber who is looking at moving late next year,so this post gives me a boost as ive also been hearing about the lack of jobs etc.

ive been self-employed for last 10 years but im not gas safe registered,i have completed gas safe training but not taken exam due to needing funds for the visas etc,would you say that i should do exam or wait till i arrive there,any advice would be great..

Good to hear its all going well for a fellow plumber.

Rob.

How you doing Rob,

Good luck on the adventure mate, it's an exciting/daunting time but the time will fly by...

In regards to your gas, if you have qualifications in gas, as in a Nvq/svq level 3 that'll be enough to prove you have the training required to do the course over here and get a good few units recognised so u don't need to do them here,

If you have no qualifications in gas then I would do your gas safe exam and LPG, if you don't you'll just be prolonging the training over here and the cost of the training,

I take it you are coming on a skilled visa linked to your plumbing? Have u went through vetasses?

If so you'll STILL need to attend collage over here and sit the migrant plumbing course at the cost of over $3000, you'll be able to apply for a temporary trades persons licence that gives you 1 year to complete the migrant course in conjunction with working with an employer,

In totally you will be looking at about $6000 to do the gas and plumbing, if you want to repair gas appliances add another $2000 roughly,

If you are saying "sh*t, are you f***ing kidding Me"?

I'm not it's the way it is over here, they disguise the truth in the UK/other countries, they say our skills are needed but make it very difficult for us to get a job and take $$$$ to get our licences and a visa in the process!

Having said that, Imo it's worth it,

If you have spare cash now and have opened a bank account in Oz already I would transfer money now, give yourself a nice little nest egg, the exchange rate is good at the moment, in fact the best it's been in recent years,

Regards the job situation for trades like ours, there is plenty of jobs, the wages are coming down slightly but that's a good thing as they were over inflated due to the mining boom, some companies where offering $50/hr on the books with a company van etc now it's down to $40 and lower,

Sub contracting you can earn a decent coin but again that type of work is dictated by the strength of the construction market, which is steady at the moment, but I feel it's going slow down a bit,

Most companies advertise on seek.com.au and a lot of them are "maintenance plumbing/gas fitter" so you won't be on site more doing reno's and repairs etc a much safer option IMO,

Hi steven,

thanks for the reply,very interesting and you have confirmed just about everything i had thought and heard.

I think i will go ahead with gas safe exams this year then,i have been working with gas appliances for last 15 yrs along side corgi/gas safe technicians so hoping to pass ok,thanks for the info mate,might need to pick your brains again sometime in the near future.

How are you liking the oz adventure?i spent 1999/2000 traveling east coast and have been trying to convince missus for last 9yrs to give it a go,finally we are about to start our very own adventure,cant wait..cheers again.

@steven_gers Lovely to see a nice positive review on the situation in Perth. We're hoping to be out in the next few months and will be staying with friends initially and your post has certainly helped, though we are by no means coming over with rose tinted glasses :) xx

Guest Guest6235

You could see it coming..........I don't think with this thread and the 'which suburbs to live in' thread you're ever going to get anyone agree with each other. I think if you're thinking about coming out here have plenty of $$. We're quite lucky in our situation at the moment but for those without a job or coming over without one it could be a bad time as the sun alone won't pay your way! It's ok to say to people 'yep give it a go' & 'I like your attitude'. I myself may have said that a year or two back when it was better out here but at the moment I would hate for somebody to lose all their $15k savings if that is all they have.

Think @susanbro has hit the nail on the head. While harsh truths are always good to take on board, those who have already made the decision to emigrate and sent off visa applications would be foolish to let these things dampen their appetite.

Take us, for example: our application was lodged in October and medicals were done in March, meaning we have to be in Oz by March 2016 whether we like it or not. We have now booked flights for February and can't wait to get out there. Of course, we hope the economy picks up prior to us arriving but if it doesn't then we won't be letting that affect us and will simply double our efforts to find work and make the move a success.

Think @susanbro has hit the nail on the head. While harsh truths are always good to take on board, those who have already made the decision to emigrate and sent off visa applications would be foolish to let these things dampen their appetite.

Take us, for example: our application was lodged in October and medicals were done in March, meaning we have to be in Oz by March 2016 whether we like it or not. We have now booked flights for February and can't wait to get out there. Of course, we hope the economy picks up prior to us arriving but if it doesn't then we won't be letting that affect us and will simply double our efforts to find work and make the move a success.

Incan understand your enthusiasm I really can. We were the same and it only seems like moments ago - it was 7 years ago.

But please do carefully research. This is not like the UK. Miss two rent payments and you are out. Dole including rent payment is actually less than the average rent - we can claim a total of $450 a week.

There is zero chance of housing help. There is a 18 year wait list even for priority families.

If if it doesn't work and you have to return to the UK, you are then not resident for purposes of things like benefits.

Jobs bs are becoming VERY hard to find - today is my 1 year anniversary of unemployment. There are hundreds even applying for maccas jobs. While construction based trade is doing well, new home approvals have fallen off a cliff in recent months and in 6 months time, that will translate to construction roles.

Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from, @verystormy. And I do really appreciate the advise.

For us to come over and lose all of our money before finding work would be devastating but unfortunately I'm unable to change the WA economy myself and therefore we're just gonna have to accept that things may be hard and get on with it.

I really hope things improve over the next 8 months but I know that's unlikely. All I can do is make sure that I have CVs ready to send out and a list as long as my arm of potential employers, as well as recruitmemt agencies - don't suppose you know of any?

Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from, @verystormy. And I do really appreciate the advise.

For us to come over and lose all of our money before finding work would be devastating but unfortunately I'm unable to change the WA economy myself and therefore we're just gonna have to accept that things may be hard and get on with it.

I really hope things improve over the next 8 months but I know that's unlikely. All I can do is make sure that I have CVs ready to send out and a list as long as my arm of potential employers, as well as recruitmemt agencies - don't suppose you know of any?

If you are young with no kids (as you may be?) then go for it. But really, it's a bad time to come unless you're prepared to spend all your savings ( don't think $15k would last long, to be honest). It probably depends what you do for a job but the advertised jobs are getting soooooo many applicants it's ridiculous. My OH isn't a tradesman so maybe it's completely different.... I'm not saying don't come because obviously you have your visa and you're all organised. But for others who don't need to be in by a certain date I'd wait and see.

For us, I think the fact that we have family in Perth and won't need to rent until we've found our feet will be a big help. Hopefully that will see our money last that bit longer.

And no, I am young-ish but have two kids, who will be aged 5 and 3 at time of arrival.

I realise what a huge risk this all is but I won't be put off. Time will tell whether or not we've made the correct decision.

For us, I think the fact that we have family in Perth and won't need to rent until we've found our feet will be a big help. Hopefully that will see our money last that bit longer.

And no, I am young-ish but have two kids, who will be aged 5 and 3 at time of arrival.

I realise what a huge risk this all is but I won't be put off. Time will tell whether or not we've made the correct decision.

I'm sure you'll be fine.... We're also staying with family - been 5 months so far!

We moved over in January and my husband had 2 job offers in 2 weeks. He took a massive step down and salary decrease from the UK but got into a big company and as worked hard - this week he was promoted 3 roles ahead. Perhaps he is just lucky, but our experience has been good jobs wise. Just to warn you though, he applied for 200+ jobs from the UK, not one bothered to reply to him till he had an Aussie address. This all being said, I think the economy is on the downturn so it might be worth waiting an extra few months to see what becomes of it all. We are a family of 5 and all in the move probably cost in the region of 40k. We shall see if it was worth it, we are still new lol time will tell!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. And for the record, I don't for one second believe that any of you are trying to put me off. I'm actually pleased to be told some hard truths.

Anyway, with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, hopefully we'll be okay. I've already started using Google to make a list of potential employers to contact in the few weeks running up to our flights. Got 12 so far, hopefully it'll be as long as my arm by the time I need to start applying.

Of course, that alone may not be enough to get me a job, which brings me to another question: would it be worth having a CV written by professionals? I mean, I'm pretty happy with mine atm anyway but then I've not seen how they differ in Oz.

At least the GBP to AUD will be in your favour. For every 10000 GBP you will be getting around $2.04 which is best rate in 6 yeasr!