Brumby's and Baker's Delight

Laz

Hi... we are toying with the idea of buying a Brumby's or Baker's Delight. Does anyone have any first hand experience of running a bakery (or even better, one of these franchises) who can comment on pros and cons? Any other comments welcome....

I dont have experience of owning one but the Brumby's where I lived had new owners last year and now its up for sale again, so might depend on where it is how well it does. I only went a couple of times and both times I think the cupcakes I bought had been in the shop all week! You could have built a house with them, I never went back after that. no wonder it was never busy, not saying you would run one like that ;-)

Hi... we are toying with the idea of buying a Brumby's or Baker's Delight. Does anyone have any first hand experience of running a bakery (or even better, one of these franchises) who can comment on pros and cons? Any other comments welcome....

I can comment on running a franchise in general, one of the biggest issues for businesses is getting the word out there (or marketing) with a recognised brand, in the main, this is done for you either with advertising or 'brand awareness' so in general has lots of benefits, the downside is that you will pay a premium for such service

I would say that if you are able to market a business effectively yourselves, consider an independent business, if not, let someone else take care of this for you, and buy a franchise

Hope this helps

Or make your own cup cakes …. buy a cute little retro van ….. and sell !!! Surley you are more in control then ? Live the dream and all that ;O)

This might work, as a business consultant, I wouldnt advise anyone begins a start-up in this economy, better to consider an established business, although I appreciate this will involve some capital (but then any new business will also need this!)

Or make your own cup cakes …. buy a cute little retro van ….. and sell !!! Surley you are more in control then ? Live the dream and all that ;O)

Not a cheap option. Or that easy. It is something we are currently looking at - got as far as meeting with the council health.

A van, even second hand is about $60k. Every event you attend the council charges a fee and then the event organisers charge a fee.

mmm yes i supose the food prep area … cooking from home aspect must need some sort of lisencing or fees ……. Or what about the burger van concept that we have here in the UK ? would this work - all about finding the right pitch though i suppose ………..

…………….. exciting times !!!

mmm yes i supose the food prep area … cooking from home aspect must need some sort of lisencing or fees ……. Or what about the burger van concept that we have here in the UK ? would this work - all about finding the right pitch though i suppose ………..

…………….. exciting times !!!

Cooking from home here is so hard it is almost impossible. Realistically you need to hire a commercial kitchen - what I am now looking at.

Burger vans are some of the most expensive to set up - total costs are well in 6 figures. Then the planning side kicks in. For example, most councils won't allow them within a certain distance of the CBD. So, parking up on a night to get all the post pub / club trade is impossible. I am arguing with my council on this. There attitude is businesses with permanent shops pay rates, so it is not fair. My argument is not one of them open late night.

Oz bureaucracy is a million times harder than the UK and 10x as expensive.

The brumbys near me closed down too but there are 3 bakers delight shops within a 10 minute radius and all are busy. Food vans are expensive to buy kit out and the red tape you have to get around from the council is a bit of a nightmare as hubby was looking at this last year, he was thinking of selling proper Cornish pasties (he is cornish and a chef so is pretty good at them) but gave up.

VS my hubby spoke to the local surf club about using their kitchen on an 'as and when' kind of basis and they agreed so he now stores all his stuff down there for cheap rent then just pays a day rate whenever he needs to go down to cook. Its great while he is still trying to get business going without the massive overheads.