Buildings and Contents insurance - recommendations

Raychelsb

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of getting quotes for home insurance and finding it a minefield - a big difference in the quotes for the same level of cover. Best quote so far is with Allianz, but they get a slating on a review website I've looked at.

Any hints and tips from you guys? Who has paid a claim out fine, who are hard to get anything from? I don't want to pay the cheapest premium to then find in the event of a claim that they are a waste of space..

Thanks as always :)

I am with Commonwealth and it isn't the cheapest but I have recently had a very large claim as a 4WD came through my bedroom window. Very good service from them and their contractor. Would thoroughly recommend. Had 1 accidental damage content claim too and the same can be said, would recommend.

+1 for CommInsure. Great service and a no non-sense approach. Don't forget to include "Accidental damage" as part of your policy. Heard good things about RAC and AAMI too. AAMI has an interesting model where they don't insure for a fixed amount but pays whatever it takes to *replace* the house. Could be beneficial or not.

Personally, I would stay away from Allianz - heard too many bad stories.

RAC are great. A few years ago my whole house was flooded by a washing machine cut-off valve failing.... out at work at the time and came home to an indoor swimming pool. Rang RAC and they had a restoration company at the house within 15 minutes pumping out the water. New kitchen and all flooring had to be replaced, plus electrics etc. We couldnt live in the house for nearly 2 weeks and RAC paid for us and animals to live elsewhere. I didn't even have to fill in a claim form.... it was all dealt with in the most amazingly professional prompt way. I now have all my insurance with them.

As already mentioned above, stay away from Allianz ... not heard one good thing about them.

Thanks everyone. Gone with CommBank. They were pretty much the same as RAC but slightly better cover and with recommendations, went with them. Didn't bother with accidental damage though - everything we would probably have to claim for in that department is covered under glass breakages.