Australian Islamic College primary school

Marwa

Hello everybody, we will be coming to australia by january 10th for 2 weeks to validate our visa.I have 2 daughters 10 and 7 years old, My husband is a project control engineer and we wanna know about the" Australian Islamic college" primary school in perth.

Is it a good school?.. if not , Is there any single-sex well reputated school that offers good education rather than islamic schools?

This is very important for us as we will decide in turn which suburb we will live in when we come for a final destination in Perth.Thanks in advance.

the Islamic Colleges in Perth are all co-ed and not single sex. All females, including non Muslim teaching staff are required to cover their heads. I visited two of the three schools a few years ago as a consultant and many of the staff had trained as teachers in the middle east/India. Although they are required to follow the Australian curriculum their teaching methods were more traditional - lots of rote learning - repeating over and over again rather than hands on learning. I also remember them being poorly resourced and reading books for the younger kids were photocopied. I remember some negative press about the school - the chief administrator embellishing money or fiddling exam results or something of that nature so my general opinion would be there are better schools to go to - unless the religious element is very important to you. In terms of single sex schools - there are lots, they are all church affiliated - of various Christian denominations, all private and many the more expensive of the private schools ($20,000= a year). Many have long waiting lists. My guess would be that the Catholic girls school - Mercedes College in the city, Iona in the Western Suburbs, Santa Maria SOR would be the least likely to accept non Christians. Other all girls schools - Methodist Ladies College, Presbyterian Ladies College, St Hildas - all in the Western Suburbs, St Marys - NOR, Perth College Mount Lawley, Penrhos College SOR All these schools consistently make the Top 20 best schools in terms of results every year.

Most schools in the Western suburbs are good - anything along the Perth to Fremantle train line, don't think you could go wrong. Nedlands primary is excellent and has more of a multicultural feel as they take children of overseas students at the University. However, the Western Suburbs is probably the most expensive place to live in Western Australia so check house rents too. Rents in Floreat cheaper than Dalkeith.