Getting enrolled Mid- year in a catholic School - secondary

Flames123

Hello again,

I did a bit of reading on this forum and saw that most people prefer personally visting the school and enrolling their children into schools of their choice.

However, we are currently overseas and will be in Perth only April 2016.

How easy or difficult wil lit be for me to secure admission for my Grade 7 (Secondary school) daughter and Grades 1 & 4 boys in private catholic schools mid-year?

I am especially concerned for my Grade 7 daughter. Should i Apply now in a couple of catholic schools? or wait till i get there?

Hello again,

I did a bit of reading on this forum and saw that most people prefer personally visting the school and enrolling their children into schools of their choice.

However, we are currently overseas and will be in Perth only April 2016.

How easy or difficult wil lit be for me to secure admission for my Grade 7 (Secondary school) daughter and Grades 1 & 4 boys in private catholic schools mid-year?

I am especially concerned for my Grade 7 daughter. Should i Apply now in a couple of catholic schools? or wait till i get there?

Any reason why you're aiming for a catholic school? Depending on area, some state schools get better results.

I'd get their name down now to give them the best chance of a place. You just never know if a place will become available. Sometimes someone leaves and if there has just been a big intake, like in year 7, they might not be able to fill it as most parents have secured places in other schools and will be reluctant to move their child again so you might get lucky. This has happened with a friend of mine recently.

Which area are you looking at?

Edited by Lou8670

Hi newjwz,

Well, I am a bit concerned about bullying ( not assuming that there will be, but better safe than sorry).

Also, the ones with good state schools have affordable renatl housing but not so for buying your own place.

I want to be able to afford a place where my kids eventually get adjusted to.

I'd get their name down now to give hen the best chance of a place. You just never know if a place will become available. Sometimes someone leaves and if there has just been a big intake, like in year 7, they might not be able to fill it as most parents have secured places in other schools and will be resultant to move their child again so you might get lucky. This has happened with a friend of mine recently.

Which area are you looking at?

thanks Lou,

have just been told by my school of choice that they will be on a wating list and they cant comment on when it may go forward. Another school, has said they are looking forward to our application.

Out of curiosity, how should i read a school score? how can i identify if its any good?

My kids are academically good and would like to pursue university in fields of allied health or medicine (at least the oldest kid says so)- how can i figure out of the school will help in that regard?

this will help - http://www.scsa.wa.edu.au/internet/Publications/Reports/Statistical_Reports/School_Comparison_Statistics

these are the league tables of the final Year 12 results. To go to Uni the main route is by obtaining an ATAR - basically the Year 12 exams. You need to have completed at least five level 2 or level 3 subjects in Year 11 and 12. These tables show the number of students who did level 2/3 subjects and also how many received an A or B grade. For an academic school you would want a good proportion of students obtaining at least a B - and high numbers actually doing level 2/3. Clear as mud! Also this publication also gives a list of the top schools in particular subjects - so look to see which schools performed the best in the sciences/maths

Also use this - http://www.myschool.edu.au/

put in the school and suburb. Go to Naplan results on left hand side. Click on results in numbers - green means above average, red means below - just a rough screen.

as everyone will tell you test results aren't everything but are a starting point - then go and visit the school. We chose my sons primary school as it was small and single stream and I wanted somewhere nurturing, my second son we chose one because of their music program.

Hi newjwz,

Well, I am a bit concerned about bullying ( not assuming that there will be, but better safe than sorry).

Also, the ones with good state schools have affordable renatl housing but not so for buying your own place.

I want to be able to afford a place where my kids eventually get adjusted to.

My nieces and nephews got bullied at a catholic school. You have the Irish, you have the Italians, they were neither. They ended up begging to leave and finished off their schooling at mt Lawley shs.

Their are some brilliant private schools in Perth, but you often get what you pay for.

Not all good schools are unaffordable. Cragie, duncraig, woodvale all have good reputation.

You can always buy as an investment and rent yourselves. There is a tax advantage for this. You lose out on capital gains, but prices are dropping ATM, so not an immediate concern.

My nieces and nephews got bullied at a catholic school. You have the Irish, you have the Italians, they were neither. They ended up begging to leave and finished off their schooling at mt Lawley shs.

Their are some brilliant private schools in Perth, but you often get what you pay for.

Not all good schools are unaffordable. Cragie, duncraig, woodvale all have good reputation.

You can always buy as an investment and rent yourselves. There is a tax advantage for this. You lose out on capital gains, but prices are dropping ATM, so not an immediate concern.

Craigie SHS closed in 2003 and demolished totally the year after.

thanks Lou,

have just been told by my school of choice that they will be on a wating list and they cant comment on when it may go forward. Another school, has said they are looking forward to our application.

Out of curiosity, how should i read a school score? how can i identify if its any good?

My kids are academically good and would like to pursue university in fields of allied health or medicine (at least the oldest kid says so)- how can i figure out of the school will help in that regard?

It's pretty much as Scot01 has said...have a look at the websites mentioned above, you can see the league tables and the ratings for maths and English however bear in mind these are historic and mostly based on exam results. What it doesn't tell you is how the school does in other sports or where the school is going! It'll be a good starting point though.

Have a look at the schools website and also pay them a visit and go on your gut instinct.

Edited by Lou8670

Keep an open mind until you get here. Go and view the school to get a feel for it. I put my eldest school in a private school with half decent results and she hated it. She has just graduated from a school that most people would deem unacceptable with excellent results. It's about the child, not the school IMVHO.

• 2 months later...

Point noted Arwen. thanks !

Keep an open mind until you get here. Go and view the school to get a feel for it. I put my eldest school in a private school with half decent results and she hated it. She has just graduated from a school that most people would deem unacceptable with excellent results. It's about the child, not the school IMVHO.