Swimming with Humpback Whales at Ningaloo

Ktee

SWIMMING with humpback whales is set to become WA’s newest must-do experience, with the State Government giving the go-ahead to a trial at the Ningaloo Marine Park.

Building on the success of whale shark tourism, the humpback whale tours will be offered to 11 licensed operators at Exmouth and Coral Bay next year.

WA’s humpback population is back to pre-whaling numbers, with more than 30,000 whales – which grow up to 18m long and weigh up to 45 tonnes – migrating along the coast each year.

Similar rules to whale shark tours will be enforced, with a 300m exclusion zone around any humpback whale.

No more than 10 swimmers will be allowed to swim up to the whale, including the tour operator.

Tourists also won’t be allowed to swim with female humpbacks with calves.

Wow sounds amazing! Hopefully regulations will be very tight, if so it will definitely be on my to do list when we come over. It's a coincidence you posted this today because in the UK the new David Attenborough wildlife documentary was shown and it talked about the Humpback Whales migration in Australia. :-) xx

Ningaloo Reef is very close to the coast and is absolutely amazing. Personally I prefer it to the Great Barrier Reef. The whole of the Exmouth/Coral Bay coast is pretty wonderful and well worth a visit. Mind you the drive from Perth is pretty long.... about 1270kms...

Drat, so I can't go for a day out when i come over next year. Lol.