Bricklayer thinking of moving to oz

Gibby

Hi everyone ,me and my girlfriend are thinking of moving to oz , just wondering what its like for bricklayers to find work in perth and is the money and the consistancy of work all that its cracked up to be

Any advice would be great !

Edited by Gibby

Hi @Gibby did you mean to say Melbourne? The reason I ask is that probably most of our Perth members won't know what is happening on the East coast. I spent 8 years in Melbourne before heading to FNQ, I know back then there were new housing estates shooting up everywhere but they use to want you to have your own gang and tools and paid $1 a brick. This was a good few years ago now so things may have changed

Thanks ali , hi ktee yes i ment to write perth sorry about the confusion lol , do you know if brickys are still in demand and is the money as good as everyone says , ive read a few things and they all differ

Thanks

You could be getting differing stories as the building industry changes rapidly. Perth was at a massive construction phase, but things have slowed down a bit lately.

There have been a few threads recently on brickies.

• 1 month later...

Hi mate I'm a bricky things are quiet just now, should pick up again in the new year, but stay away from the house building, too hot and poor conditions take you back to the early 80's in the UK, H&S is poor on most sites, even the big ones, but it non existent on the cottages. The money will average out at around $350 a day, but Perth is as dear as. Life isn't easy over here as a bricky and you will have to get a white card and an ABN before you get started, let me know closer to your move and I'll try and help you get a job as soon as you come out.

By the way, being a UK trained bricklayer you will be better than the Oz brickies, however they will ask for experience of working in Perth which is ridiculous, but too many backpackers chance thier arms.

Send me a PM if you want more info on this place.

• 2 weeks later...
hello there,

I was wondering if you have any info or any advice or the best route on applying to come over, I've already used my WHV but want to come over for good.

Any info would be much appreciated

Luke

1st step, speak to a reputable agent, they'll explain what options you have. Make sure they're MARA registered before you take any advice, a good tip is if they're asking for money before anything else then move on to the next one. There are a few that post on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Ive moved back to the uk for a year after living in Perth for 9 years and wanting to go back and my hubby is a brickie and was wondering what the work is like now ? As I know it got really bad but praying it picks up !

Any advice would be great

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To to be honest, the economy is still deteriating and I would wait. New homes sales are continuing to fall and the resources industry is if anything worse than it was a year ago. Three more mines have closed since Christmas.

Guest Guest6235
Hi

Ive moved back to the uk for a year after living in Perth for 9 years and wanting to go back and my hubby is a brickie and was wondering what the work is like now ? As I know it got really bad but praying it picks up !

Any advice would be great ?

If he struggles Danielle then you'll have your job until he finds something I guess.

Thanks for your input, it's always good to get other opinions. We prob won't be going till the end of the year anyway so hopefully it will only get better !

I assume he was working over here as a brickie before so he will get a job without much problem, although he will have to work for less than he did before there is work out there, the residential market has slowed down, but the money and conditions were poor anyway in that sector, same as anywhere if he is a good reliable brickie he'll find work.

Speaking to a few guys I know that are high up within large commercial builders they say they will be busy this year, so there does seem to be some positive news coming out.

The airport are always hiring people for ramp staff if your stuck.

Yes John c he was a brickie for 9 Years in Perth, so has the price per brick really dropped ?

And are they saying work will def pick up ? It's just such a risk, not knowing when u have two kids as well.

are u a brickie ?

Yeah I'm a brickie, also do H&S, but currently more work in laying bricks as WA isn't too good on H&S in construction.

There is work out there for him, but the daily rates are down to around $320pd on average and $35ph, residential is slow, but who wants to do that work anyway? People I spoke to are all with the bigger builders who said they are going to be busy, but the building game is an uncertain one at the best of times.

However, he will have contacts over here for work so he will be working probably right away, if given the choice of staying here and working for whats on offer or returning to the UK and working for even less money in dreadful weather, well its not really a hard one for me anyway, I'm from Glasgow so I wouldn't be working back home now anyway with the weather, at least over here you pretty much guarantee a 5 day week at least.

Its always quiet at this time of year, so wait two months and get back in touch and I can gauge it better then, but I'm pretty sure he won't be stuck for work.

• 4 weeks later...

I deliver bricks, pavers etc for one of the Big Three and we've been told to get ready for a lean eighteen months to two years. Residential building especially is slowing down with the number of new home starts expected to be down by a third compared to last year. However, the govt still expects an additional 1 million + people to move to Perth by 2050. That's only 35 years away and means an extra 30,000 or so people per year all of whom will have to live somewhere. There are also new suburbs popping up all over Perth. I don't have a crystal ball, but right now is probably not the best time to come over unless you have work lined up. However, if you're only starting the immigration process now things "should" be better in a couple of years' time.

Hi, just hijacking this post, sorry! Hubby has PR visa and has to activate (enter Oz) before November 2016. He is a brickie so we are a bit concerned about all we are hearing about a slow down in construction. Is it at all as bad as it seems? Is it at all possible to have a job lined up before we leave, or is this industry not available to that option? Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.