Racmac

Nedlands area

Hi everyone.

What can anybody tell me about Nedlands area? Cost of housing ? Schooling? Facilities etc.

many thanks

Lived in Dalkeith, and have family there. Went to the (now no longer there) Hollywood Highschool, used to play at the tennis club too.

Great location, but very expensive. Due to the expensive nature, the local schools are very good. Christ Church I think is one of the best in the state (IIRC. My name was on the waiting list for a while).

I think Nedlands is in the Shenton College catchment zone, which is an excellent state high school (so you don't have to pay the private school fees if that isn't your thing). But there are certainly more affordable areas that are just as nice as Nedlands. Also, something to note - a lot of people in those old established western suburbs are 'old money perth' and very cliquey. You might have an easier time making friends in a different area.

I live in Nedlands. Local schools are excellent - Nedlands Primary (Govt) has a pool, a band and an orchestra. When the old WA premiers daughter went there they spent $300,000 on a new playground. Holywood Primary also good with same facilities. You are in the catchment area for Shenton College which is one of the top performing Goct high schools and you'll find half the class might go tot Shenton and the rest to the many private school in the area.

Yes property is expensive but there is a huge student population in house shares which balances the 'old money' feel and if you go to Broadway shopping centre it is thronging with overseas students (right next to UWA) and has a good vibe. I have never found it cliche, there are excellent family facilities where you can meet people - toy library, story time and activities at the library, good play groups and spoilt for choice in terms of after school sport clubs to join. I always meet someone I know in the local supermarket, there is a real community feel. It is ten mins to the CBD, ten mins to the beach, 5 mins to Kings Park and 2 mins to the river. However this sums up Nedlands - I asked a lady I knew whose daughter went to one of the top private schools (MLC) what her daughter would be doing next year when she left school and she said "she'll be going to UWA as she has gone to MLC and we live in Nedlands and I want her to stay with the same kind of people". I nearly slapped her!

I lived in Nedlands for three years and agree with Scot01. It is a lovely part of Perth, with great schools, a stunning golf course and many wonderful public areas. A lot of Chinese have bought up property here in recent years as they are the only ones who can really afford it now. There is still a lot of old money around though and it is definitely an area of wealth a privilege. I came across a lot of misplaced arrogance and self-importance, especially among the younger new money set, but just as many lovely folk to befriend.

The Broadway Shopping Centre has the best kebab shop I have ever found!