Any Do's and Don'ts on what to Ship over to Perth

leahlouise17

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to ship some furniture and kitchen stuff over to Aus in January 2016.

Does anyone have any hints and tips on what to take and more importantly; what not to take? Have you had any troubles with customs?

Also if you could recommend a good removal company? I have been recommended PSS by our agent.

We'll be shipping from Newcastle (England) to Perth.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think there is one rule only about this as it varies very much on what you already own, whether you want to keep said belongings, or whether you want to start again from scratch totally. It is a very individual situation. Houses usually in Australia tend to be a lot bigger than UK houses, so furniture here can be bigger than in UK. I wouldn't bring fridge, washing machine, tv etc, but some people have and are glad they did so.

There are many posts about this on this forum (and our sister site PomsInOz) so I suggest you have a search and a read through to help you in your decision.

Thanks for your replies :) I'll have a look in to John Masons.

I think we're planning on bringing most furniture and kitchen ware.

From what I have read, we'll have to make sure we give our walking boots and tools a good clean.

I am interested in things that have been/will be rejected. Wooden Souvenirs from other countries for example? what happens if it doesn't pass? Do you get charged etc?

Thanks for your replies :) I'll have a look in to John Masons.

I think we're planning on bringing most furniture and kitchen ware.

From what I have read, we'll have to make sure we give our walking boots and tools a good clean.

I am interested in things that have been/will be rejected. Wooden Souvenirs from other countries for example? what happens if it doesn't pass? Do you get charged etc?

Check Xmas decorations for pine cones. Make sure everything is clean we used Jeyes fluid .. stank the place out and made it smell like hospitals and schools used to lol. If they find something they don't like you have the option of paying to have it treated (not sure how much) or having it destroyed. Some will say they've got away with bringing stuff and it does seem to be luck of the draw what's inspected. You can Google what you are not allowed to bring

We used PSS and have to say were excellent. Very professional, nice chaps, from Newcastle, Tanglewood Piano's I think, took great care and 9 hours solid graft. Try and get PSS to use these guys and you want be disappointed.

Our container arrived in Freemantle Sat so just waiting for details of delivery. Dont pack booze or you will need to pay customs. Packed everything except fridge, washer, even unpacked stuff from Next.

Let me know if you need more