PerthPsychologist

AHPRA Psychology board - National Psychology Exam

Dear PerthPomers,

I have recently moved to Perth with my husband and baby. Back in the UK I worked as a Conseling Psychologist but here I need to do the AHPRA psychology transitional programme and the compulsory National Psychology Exam, before I can register.

Just wondering if anybody has gone through the process and done the exam? I would be grateful for any advice regarding preparation and any moral support would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards,

Dear PerthPomers,

I have recently moved to Perth with my husband and baby. Back in the UK I worked as a Conseling Psychologist but here I need to do the AHPRA psychology transitional programme and the compulsory National Psychology Exam, before I can register.

Just wondering if anybody has gone through the process and done the exam? I would be grateful for any advice regarding preparation and any moral support would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards,

Hi,

I was just wondering how you got on with your situation as I'm now in a very similar one. I'm a clinical psych from the UK and it seems I also need to do the transitional program/exam but I'm finding AHPRA and the whole process a bit of a nightmare. How did you go about finding your transitional program and did you end up having to do this for free? also was getting general registration fairly straight forward after that? … any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Have you asked these questions on the big sister site, PomsinOz. There are more likely to be more psychologists on there (greater number of members) who will be able to help as this is a national exam.

I can may be answer a little bit of this - I'm an educational psychologist and do supervision for people who need psych supervision. I am not sure if this is the transitional programme? Last time I did supervision we'd meet once a week to discuss cases and I had a report to complete for AHPRA. It is never free unfortunately, expect to pay at least $100 an hour, though I was nice and didn't charge that much! The exam must be a new requirement and sorry, no idea what is in it.

Hi,

I am a uk Clin psych and moved to Perth 3 years ago. I have done the transitional programme and sat the exam. I am happy to provide moral support and can advise about the resources I found helpful for the exam. It is such a challenging system and unfortunately I too struggled to get a job because of the Medicare restrictions. It is best to pm me.

Edited by ailey
    To add more information

Hi I am also a uk Clin Psych and wondered if anyone had any practice questions and suggested readings to share? Thanks in advance. 

On 13/06/2016 at 12:03, ailey said:

Hi,

I am a uk Clin psych and moved to Perth 3 years ago. I have done the transitional programme and sat the exam. I am happy to provide moral support and can advise about the resources I found helpful for the exam. It is such a challenging system and unfortunately I too struggled to get a job because of the Medicare restrictions. It is best to pm me.

How did you find the exam Ailey?